comp.lang.python

Paramiko/SSH blues....

Tarun Kapoor

1/16/2008 3:05:00 PM

I am using paramiko to do an SFTP file transfer... I was able to connect
to the remote server using an SFTP client I have just to make sure
that username and password are working.. But when i try to connect
using this script it fails ....

**hostname, username and password are declared.

# now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across
the connection
sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
sock.connect((hostname, port))

t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
event = threading.Event()
t.start_client(event)

event.wait(15)

if not t.is_active():
print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
sys.exit(1)
else:
print "SSH negotiation sucessful"

event.clear()

t.auth_password(username=username, password=password,event=event)

if not t.is_authenticated():
print "not authenticated"
output:
SSH negotiation successful
not authenticated

25 Answers

rwalker

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
<ramon.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 10, 11:23?am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Listen to the song: "Don't Call Us, "We'll Call You". The guitar riff
>> from "I Fine Fine" is stolen in this song. Yes, It Is.
>
>and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
>which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
>also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.

I seem to recall an interview (at least one interview) where Lennon
stated that they were always stealing bits here and there. Considering
how successful they were, it's a wonder that the Beatles weren't sued
more often for plagarism. But, then, this is a long tradition in
folk, blues, and rock and roll.

Jeff

On Jul 10, 8:25 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
>
> <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 10, 11:23 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> Listen to the song: "Don't Call Us, "We'll Call You". The guitar riff
> >> from "I Fine Fine" is stolen in this song. Yes, It Is.
>
> >and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> >which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> >also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.
>
> I seem to recall an interview (at least one interview) where Lennon
> stated that they were always stealing bits here and there. Considering
> how successful they were, it's a wonder that the Beatles weren't sued
> more often for plagarism.  But, then, this is a long tradition in
> folk, blues, and rock and roll.

I can't understand why any artists would like to steal bits here
and there from other artists intentionally.

Eric Ramon

On Jul 12, 5:53 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:25 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
>
> > <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> > >which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> > >also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.
>
> > I seem to recall an interview (at least one interview) where Lennon
> > stated that they were always stealing bits here and there. Considering
> > how successful they were, it's a wonder that the Beatles weren't sued
> > more often for plagarism.  But, then, this is a long tradition in
> > folk, blues, and rock and roll.
>
> I can't understand why any artists would like to steal bits here
> and there from other artists intentionally.

"you ain't bad but we've heard it all before....sounds
like..uh...John, Paul and George" at 1:41. They were having fun with
it.

tom@aerovons.com

On Jul 12, 8:53 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:25 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
>
> > <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> > >which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> > >also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.
>
> > I seem to recall an interview (at least one interview) where Lennon
> > stated that they were always stealing bits here and there. Considering
> > how successful they were, it's a wonder that the Beatles weren't sued
> > more often for plagarism.  But, then, this is a long tradition in
> > folk, blues, and rock and roll.
>
> I can't understand why any artists would like to steal bits here
> and there from other artists intentionally.

Don't you understand this was done on purpose? The song is about
trying to get signed by a record company, and the guy at the company
says "You sound a little like John Paul and George...." then they play
the "IFF" riff.

TH

Jeff

On Jul 17, 1:18 am, "t...@aerovons.com" <t...@aerovons.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 8:53 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 10, 8:25 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:

> > > I seem to recall an interview (at least one interview) where Lennon
> > > stated that they were always stealing bits here and there. Considering
> > > how successful they were, it's a wonder that the Beatles weren't sued
> > > more often for plagarism.  But, then, this is a long tradition in
> > > folk, blues, and rock and roll.
>
> > I can't understand why any artists would like to steal bits here
> > and there from other artists intentionally.
>
> Don't you understand this was done on purpose? The song is about
> trying to get signed by a record company, and the guy at the company
> says "You sound a little like John Paul and George...." then they play
> the "IFF" riff.
>
> TH

Yeah, Tom, it goes on and on ya know. Meanwhile my other
thread about Paul singing "Hold me time" instead of "Hold
me tight" gets changed to another subject, or it's about
Frank Snoonover. I give up.

marcuscp

On Jul 17, 9:47 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 1:18 am, "t...@aerovons.com" <t...@aerovons.com> wrote:

> > > I can't understand why any artists would like to steal bits here
> > > and there from other artists intentionally.
>
> > Don't you understand this was done on purpose? The song is about
> > trying to get signed by a record company, and the guy at the company
> > says "You sound a little like John Paul and George...." then they play
> > the "IFF" riff.
>
> > TH
>
> Yeah, Tom, it goes on and on ya know. Meanwhile my other
> thread about Paul singing "Hold me time" instead of "Hold
> me tight" gets changed to another subject, or it's about
> Frank Snoonover. I give up.

And what other subject was that, the one Hold Me Tight was changed to?
Oh........Hold Me Tight?
Re. DCUWCY, it's obviously a pisstake on the music industry and those
musical references (not only IFF) were deliberate, like the backing
vox in Hold Me Tight.

crazytimes

On Jul 10, 3:30 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 11:23 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Listen to the song: "Don't Call Us, "We'll Call You". The guitar riff
> > from "I Fine Fine" is stolen in this song. Yes, It Is.
>
> and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.

None of those are obvious, to me... What is obvious is that 'Step' is
based on Ray Charles' 'What I'd Say'... There's a radio program where
John goes on with some of his records and even tells the evolution of
a 'riff song' and traces a lot of them back to 'What I'd Say'... 'Son
of What I'd Say'...

Jeff

On Jul 17, 7:13 am, marcuscp <phelanmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 9:47 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > Don't you understand this was done on purpose? The song is about
> > > trying to get signed by a record company, and the guy at the company
> > > says "You sound a little like John Paul and George...." then they play
> > > the "IFF" riff.
>
> > > TH
>
> > Yeah, Tom, it goes on and on ya know. Meanwhile my other
> > thread about Paul singing "Hold me time" instead of "Hold
> > me tight" gets changed to another subject, or it's about
> > Frank Snoonover. I give up.
>
> And what other subject was that, the one Hold Me Tight was changed to?

The backup vocals in the song that had nothing to do with what
I was talking about.

> Oh........Hold Me Tight?

Yes, you have the right song.

:-)

> Re. DCUWCY, it's obviously a pisstake on the music industry and those
> musical references (not only IFF) were deliberate, like the backing
> vox in Hold Me Tight.

Right.

tom@aerovons.com

On Jul 17, 9:47 am, crazytimes <crazytime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 3:30 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 10, 11:23 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > > Listen to the song: "Don't Call Us, "We'll Call You". The guitar riff
> > > from "I Fine Fine" is stolen in this song. Yes, It Is.
>
> > and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> > which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> > also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.
>
> None of those are obvious, to me...  What is obvious is that 'Step' is
> based on Ray Charles' 'What I'd Say'...  There's a radio program where
> John goes on with some of his records and even tells the evolution of
> a 'riff song' and traces a lot of them back to 'What I'd Say'...  'Son
> of What I'd Say'...

"Watch Your Step" guitar riff is similar to "What I'd Say" only in
that both are played by a guitar.

"IFF" and "WYS" on the other hand are using almost identical phrasing
(not notes) both on the guitar riff and the rhythm section.

TH

Eric Ramon

On Jul 17, 6:47 am, crazytimes <crazytime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 3:30 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 10, 11:23 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > > Listen to the song: "Don't Call Us, "We'll Call You". The guitar riff
> > > from "I Fine Fine" is stolen in this song. Yes, It Is.
>
> > and don't get me started on "Watch Your Step"
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> > which not only has the basic rhythm that John used for I Feel Fine but
> > also has a lick that probably inspired Daytripper.
>
> None of those are obvious, to me...  What is obvious is that 'Step' is
> based on Ray Charles' 'What I'd Say'...  There's a radio program where
> John goes on with some of his records and even tells the evolution of
> a 'riff song' and traces a lot of them back to 'What I'd Say'...  'Son
> of What I'd Say'...

check out the lick at 0:34. It's half of Daytripper.