comp.lang.python

Shed Skin (restricted) Python-to-C++ Compiler 0.0.26

Mark Dufour

1/16/2008 11:16:00 AM

Hi all,

I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.26, with the following goodies:

-Almost complete support for os.path (bootstrapped using Shed Skin)
-Support for collections.defaultdict (completing collections)
-Much improved support for the os module (though many methods remain)
-Support for 5 of 7 last missing str methods
-Added support for getopt.gnu_getopt (bootstrapped)
-Improved support for locales
-Optimized string addition (a+b+c..)
-Much better documentation (tutorial)
-Added a Debian package
-Squashed many bugs
-Moved to Google code hosting

Please have a look at my latest blog entry for more details about the
release, or visit the new Google code hosting site:

http://shed-skin.bl...
http://shedskin.goog...

Thanks,
Mark Dufour.
--
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code"
- Ken Thompson

Donnieb78

> and you get the definitive live album
> "It's Too Late to Stop Now."  Play that before Live 75 - 85 and see if
> you can even make it through the latter.

It's Too Late -- possibly the best live album ever. Certainly the most
mesmerizing.
But it was meant to represent a single show on a single tour -- even
if was recorded different nights.
75-85, obviously, is a different animal altogether. We all know the
shortcomings -- where's Prove It All Night? Where's the Detroit
Medley? -- but I have no problem getting through it. It's a box-set
length history of some great music.

Donnieb78

Exactly. We all genuflect to Dylan the songwriter, the innovator, the
cultural influence, the musical zen master. But I've always felt that
his recorded works are more praised than listened to. That's not to
say that his best -- Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks
and some others -- don't rank with the best Springsteen ever did.

> Easily? I'm not sure how you're measuring that. I've had 4 of the 6
> Dylan releases that you mention for over 30 years. If I ranked how
> much I've listened to them in comparison to the WIESS to TOL releases,
> the highest Dylan release would be Highway 61 Revisited in about 6th
> place. I doubt I've listened to all of those Dylan albums combined
> more than a handful of times in the last 20 years. By my measurement,
> Bruce wins hands down. And actually, I've listened to Dylan's mid-70's
> albums more than his earlier ones.
>
> As for Bruce admitting that Dylan's records surpass his, I would
> expect he would, just as most musicians would of someone who
> influenced them and whom they admire. I also suspect that Bob would
> "admit" that Hank Williams' sort-of-6-album output that another poster
> mentioned easily surpasses his best string of releases too.

David in NYC

> Springsteen's studio albums #2 - #8 (Tunnel, not the Live Album) are
> all classics, and when he's long dead and buried, it's a catalog that
> will be acknowledged for being amongst the greatest ever.

It's a fair comment and a fair debate. I respectfully disagree.

I think he's only made one truly great album, Born to Run, and a bunch
of other very good records that all sound alike to the average music
fan (although, that's true of almost every artist or band).

I've long argued that the live shows are crux of his mystique, and
that once the memory of those has receded in years to come, his star
will fade (its already starting, in fact).

The cultural history of the world is littered with playwrights,
authors and composers who were beloved and lauded for a decade or few
at the peak of their influence, then little noted later on.

David in NYC

Ben Lazar

On Mar 18, 9:48 pm, David in NYC <dbillo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Springsteen's studio albums #2 - #8 (Tunnel, not the Live Album) are
> > all classics, and when he's long dead and buried, it's a catalog that
> > will be acknowledged for being amongst the greatest ever.
>
> It's a fair comment and a fair debate.  I respectfully disagree.
>
> I think he's only made one truly great album, Born to Run, and a bunch
> of other very good records that all sound alike to the average music
> fan (although, that's true of almost every artist or band).
>
> I've long argued that the live shows are crux of his mystique, and
> that once the memory of those has receded in years to come, his star
> will fade (its already starting, in fact).
>
> The cultural history of the world is littered with playwrights,
> authors and composers who were beloved and lauded for a decade or few
> at the peak of their influence, then little noted later on.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative, but I couldn't disagree
more. I'm utterly amazed at the renaissance Springsteen has undergone
in the past decade, especially amongst young people. If anything, his
music is being rediscovered in a whole new light, and the strength of
his songs and recordings is what is shining through. It's downright
stunning to me - when I was in my 20's and starting out in the music
business, it was NOT cool to like Bruce amongst people my age. That
has utterly transformed.

When people get into Springsteen the really get into him intensely and
spread the word. And I see that now with people of all ages. Hell,
I'm working with both a 17 year old guitarist from the Poconos and a
52 year old soul singer from Harlem who both love him - for completely
different reasons. Yes, that's one little anecdote that doesn't mean
much - but this difference I've seen in the past ten years is
unbelievable. I get LOTS of letters on my blog from people asking me
about Bruce and if you look at the Hype Machine (THE guide to music
blogs that mainly lean indie), Bruce, in comparison with older
artists, dominates.

Springsteen has been consistently impactful for going on 35 years. If
he died tomorrow (God forbid), the response would be astounding across
the world. Bruce Springsteen has transformed people's lives (not to
be confused with "changing the world") - and it's an impact that is
now, I would argue, will be beyond enduring in the decades to come.
He's a Walt Whitman, Mark Twain type of figure - and he will be
beloved by people who never get to see him live, or even be on the
planet the same time as him.

Donnieb78

Excellent post, Ben. I always thought that, In The Beginning,
Springsteen was loved by a passionate few, and then there was The
Hype, and for the next 20 years or so, it was cool to react to The
Hype and show that you were immune to it. Springsteen tried too hard,
wore his romantic heart on his sleeve, wasn't ironic, wasn't
postmodern. Punk rejected this world, the one that most of us live in,
and that became new wave that cynically exploited it. But Springsteen
always embraced this world and its people and their values and wrote
sympathetically about them. I think now the pendulum has swung to the
middle, and younger musicians can listen without The Hype or the
reaction. Among other things, I think they're hearing an artist who
writes to and for an ever-wider swath of America. I was fascinated by
the story told here by someone who went to an Obama rally and sat
among a large group of African Americans hearing "Promised Land" for
the first time -- and getting it, like it was written for them. That's
a song that's not rooted in June 1978 or in the Utah desert or in the
life of Bruce Springsteen, but in some timeless human values. And
that's typical of dozens of songs. I think that's why, as you say,
he's one of those names that represents an attitude, a set of values,
a way of looking at things. When he's gone, they'll say he was one of
those people, like Whitman and Twain and Hemingway and Mencken and
Guthrie and Dylan who helped tell the American story and defined the
American voice. The fact that he could bring all that to life onstage
so dramatically and touch audiences so intimately just enhances the
magic and shows why he's unique in history.