String comparision help

Live365 Live365

I am new to ruby. I am trying to get input from the user and then trying
to compare that string to perform action depending on the comparision
result:
Here is the code
while command = STDIN.gets
command.chomp
print #{command}
if command == "add"
addnums(num1,num2)
break
else
print"not correct command"

When I run this code and enter add it is giving output : Not the right
command.

Was expecting method addnums be called. because command is add which is
a string and if statement to evaluate to be true.

Tim Hunter

Live365 Live365 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to ruby. I am trying to get input from the user and then trying
> to compare that string to perform action depending on the comparision
> result:
> Here is the code
> while command = STDIN.gets
> command.chomp
> print #{command}
> if command == "add"
> addnums(num1,num2)
> break
> else
> print"not correct command"
>
> When I run this code and enter add it is giving output : Not the right
> command.
>
> Was expecting method addnums be called. because command is add which is
> a string and if statement to evaluate to be true.

command.chomp does not change command, it returns a new string, which
this code does not use. You could use this instead:

command = command.chomp

or just change command like this:

command.chomp!

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...

Tim Hunter

Live365 Live365 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to ruby. I am trying to get input from the user and then trying
> to compare that string to perform action depending on the comparision
> result:
> Here is the code
> while command = STDIN.gets
> command.chomp
> print #{command}

Forgot to add, if you use the p method to print the command instead of
print, you would have seen the newline character. p is good for debugging.

p command

Notice that you don't have to use #{}, either.

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...

Live365 Live365

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Live365 Live365 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to ruby. I am trying to get input from the user and then trying
>> to compare that string to perform action depending on the comparision
>> result:
>> Here is the code
>> while command = STDIN.gets
>> command.chomp
>> print #{command}
>
> Forgot to add, if you use the p method to print the command instead of
> print, you would have seen the newline character. p is good for
> debugging.
>
> p command
>
> Notice that you don't have to use #{}, either.

Thanks Tim it worked. p command is also very useful to see what is the
exact return.