Installing Ruby and Ruby Gems in a USB Flash Stick

Ruby Student

Hello team,

Had anyone installed Ruby in a USB Flash Stick?
I installed 1.9.1 using the vxRuby installer, which installs ruby and
wxruby, in my 64GB USB memory stick.
This created the following issues:

1. When I run it from a machine that already has ruby installed, I don't
know from where ruby is running.
2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive instead of
my USB stick. I noticed that you can tell gem where to install gems, but it
is not clear to me.

F:\>gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
[options]
-i, --install-dir DIR Gem repository directory to get
installed gems
-n, --bindir DIR Directory where binary files are
located

For example, since in my case for this period of time my USB is drive F, I
thought that this would work, and it does...kind of:

*F:\>gem install ezcrypto -i F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems
*Successfully installed ezcrypto-0.7.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for ezcrypto-0.7.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for ezcrypto-0.7.2...
*ERROR: While executing gem ... (TypeError)
can't convert Pathname into String*

This installs the gem but in the folder specified, but it does not creates a
dir for the gem. It puts all the files in *F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems.
*
I was expecting something like: *F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\ezcrypto*

The other problem that you can see is installing the documentation. This
appears to be a known bug because it is happening on every machine where I
installed 1.9.1. For now I am not too worry about it.

Comments from anyone will be appreciated.

Thank you

--
Ruby Student

9 Answers

Patrick1765

On Mar 17, 8:25?pm, Kmerica...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 17, 5:45?pm, "The Mighty T.B." <T...@someunknownaddress.com>
> wrote:'
>
> > Thank you Obama.
>
> You cannot possibly be this stupid.

Obama knew about this long before this weekend. That he acted
surprised yesterday proves he is just another lying politician.

Donnieb78

> Obama knew about this long before this weekend.  That he acted
> surprised yesterday proves he is just another lying politician.

I'm pissed off, at everybody, about this. But let's be honest, if Bush
were still in office, he would have given the AIG guys tax-free
bonuses and paid for it with a tax on baby formula and veterans'
health care.

mbeckbike@aol.com

On Mar 17, 4:45 pm, "The Mighty T.B." <T...@someunknownaddress.com>
wrote:
> "Rage" wrote:
> > Troubled insurance giant American International Group paid bonuses of
> > $1 million or more to 73 employees, including 11 who no longer work
> > for the company, New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday.
>
> Thank you Obama.  I expect the same wonderful level of oversight on the
> other Trillions being flushed down the toilet in the coming months and
> years.
>
> T.B.

I personally more pissed off about the 12.9 billion that went thru
AIG to Goldman Sachs. No wonder Paulsen thought they were to big to
fail.

Evolution

mbeckbike@aol.com wrote:
> On Mar 17, 4:45 pm, "The Mighty T.B." <T...@someunknownaddress.com>
> wrote:
>> "Rage" wrote:
>>> Troubled insurance giant American International Group paid bonuses of
>>> $1 million or more to 73 employees, including 11 who no longer work
>>> for the company, New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday.
>> Thank you Obama. I expect the same wonderful level of oversight on the
>> other Trillions being flushed down the toilet in the coming months and
>> years.
>>
>> T.B.
>
> I personally more pissed off about the 12.9 billion that went thru
> AIG to Goldman Sachs. No wonder Paulsen thought they were to big to
> fail.

And they reported a profit of $2.3 billion for 2008. Think we'll get
that 2.3 billion back?

--
Laurie

http://lauriehester.blo...

The Mighty T.B.

"Evolution" wrote:

>> I personally more pissed off about the 12.9 billion that went thru
>> AIG to Goldman Sachs. No wonder Paulsen thought they were to big to
>> fail.
>
> And they reported a profit of $2.3 billion for 2008. Think we'll get that
> 2.3 billion back?

No, I think we'll continue compounding the mistakes of the previous
administration. Watch what happens when the results of the so-called
"stress tests" audits being done on major banks like BofA become public.

T.B.

stuthalblum@comcast.net

On Mar 17, 9:22 pm, Patrick1...@aol.com wrote:
> On Mar 17, 8:25 pm, Kmerica...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mar 17, 5:45 pm, "The Mighty T.B." <T...@someunknownaddress.com>
> > wrote:'
>
> > > Thank you Obama.
>
> > You cannot possibly be this stupid.
>
> Obama knew about this long before this weekend.  That he acted
> surprised yesterday proves he is just another lying politician.

No, "lying" is when you say "the U.S. does not torture" and you do.

Lying is when you say searches are only done with warrants and
hundreds of thousands aren't.

Lying is when you say "the bulk of my tax cuts go to the middle class"
and they don't.

See the difference? Youre ASSUMING Obama "knew" something when
there's no evidence he did.

I the other, Bush's statements were on the record and demonstrably
untrue.

stuthalblum@comcast.net

On Mar 18, 4:32 pm, SMBalloon <smball...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:57:31 -0700 (PDT), "stuthalb...@comcast.net"
>
> <stuthalb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >Lying is when you say "the bulk of my tax cuts go to the middle class"
> >and they don't.
>
> I believe the correct quote was "the vast majority of my tax cuts go
> to the bottom end of the spectrum".
>
> Now, that's obviously not true if you look at it in terms of dollar
> amounts.  But if you look at it in terms of which group had their
> existing taxes cut the most relative to what they paid before -- then
> what Bush said was correct.
>
> What Bush should have said was that "those at the bottom end of the
> spectrum will have their tax rates cut the most" under his plan.

"And those at the top end of the spectrum will receive almost all of
the money."

Alex Fenton

Ruby Student wrote:

> Had anyone installed Ruby in a USB Flash Stick?

> 1. When I run it from a machine that already has ruby installed, I don't
> know from where ruby is running.
> 2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive instead of
> my USB stick. I noticed that you can tell gem where to install gems, but it
> is not clear to me.

You should look into setting a PATH environment variable to tell the
system you're working on to look for the 'ruby' and 'gem' executables on
the USB stick, rather than on C:/ etc. Have a look at:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=path+e...

alex

Ruby Student

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Alex Fenton <alex@deleteme.pressure.to>wrote:

> Ruby Student wrote:
>
> Had anyone installed Ruby in a USB Flash Stick?

> 1. When I run it from a machine that already has ruby installed, I don't
>> know from where ruby is running.
>> 2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive instead
>> of
>> my USB stick. I noticed that you can tell gem where to install gems, but
>> it
>> is not clear to me.
>>

> You should look into setting a PATH environment variable to tell the system
> you're working on to look for the 'ruby' and 'gem' executables on the USB
> stick, rather than on C:/ etc. Have a look at:
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=path+e...
>
> alex

Thanks Alex!
--