Ruby monitoring websites, databases and more on windows

Diego Bernardes

3/18/2009 8:37:00 PM

Im happy now, hehe, the company im working only using .net technology
and i
convinced my boss to give me a small project to prove how can ruby could
help the company.

Now the project!

I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
databases, disk space and so on windows servers.

I really dont know nothing about ruby and windows, the last time i
tested the mri i didint liked, was very slow and not all things worked
fine, first question, what is the best ruby implementation to windows?
Jruby?

What is the best approach? Make a ruby daemon to keep track of
everything and than the website interact with the daemon or the website
directly ping the services i want know if is alive?

The project gonna be a web application, gonna use Ramaze or Sinatra,
probabily Ramaze.

Thanks everyone ;)

Rob Biedenharn

Install nagios?

http://www.nagios....

Unless you *want* to build your own wheel.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

On Mar 18, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Diego Bernardes wrote:

> Im happy now, hehe, the company im working only using .net technology
> and i
> convinced my boss to give me a small project to prove how can ruby
> could
> help the company.
>
> Now the project!
>
> I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
> databases, disk space and so on windows servers.
>
> I really dont know nothing about ruby and windows, the last time i
> tested the mri i didint liked, was very slow and not all things worked
> fine, first question, what is the best ruby implementation to windows?
> Jruby?
>
> What is the best approach? Make a ruby daemon to keep track of
> everything and than the website interact with the daemon or the
> website
> directly ping the services i want know if is alive?
>
> The project gonna be a web application, gonna use Ramaze or Sinatra,
> probabily Ramaze.
>

> Thanks everyone ;)

Justin Collins

Diego Bernardes wrote:
> Im happy now, hehe, the company im working only using .net technology
> and i
> convinced my boss to give me a small project to prove how can ruby could
> help the company.
>
> Now the project!
>
> I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
> databases, disk space and so on windows servers.
>
> I really dont know nothing about ruby and windows, the last time i
> tested the mri i didint liked, was very slow and not all things worked
> fine, first question, what is the best ruby implementation to windows?
> Jruby?
>
> What is the best approach? Make a ruby daemon to keep track of
> everything and than the website interact with the daemon or the website
> directly ping the services i want know if is alive?
>
> The project gonna be a web application, gonna use Ramaze or Sinatra,
> probabily Ramaze.
>

> Thanks everyone ;)

Depending on what you have to monitor, you can probably use SNMP for
most of that. There is a Ruby library for that [1].

-Justin

[1]http://snmplib.ruby...

James Gray

On Mar 18, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Diego Bernardes wrote:

> I need keep track of the status of the websites, webservices, servers,
> databases, disk space and so on windows servers.

You may want to have a look at Scout:

http://sco...

James Edward Gray II