Introducing the Ruby 1.9 or Bust Project

Rob Kaufman

3/18/2009 4:21:00 PM

The other day I was talking with some friends about Ruby 1.9. We
where talking about the transition and the catch 22 of not moving over
because most of the gems are not ported yet and not having time to
update our gems because we're not moving over yet. It occurred to me
that there just might be a way to speed this process up for everyone.
I'd like to introduce to you the Ruby 1.9 Or Bust project at
http://ruby19.... The basic idea is to raise money to have a
developer dedicated to porting gems to 1.9. My goal is to be able to
spend 240 hours over the next 3 months moving gems, working with
maintainer to foster releases shepherding patches. If you feel like
this is a worth while goal please head over to http://ruby19...
to read more and to pledge what you can.

Thanks You,

Rob Kaufman
Notch8.com
Full Throttle Development

12 Answers

marcuscp

On Jul 6, 12:29 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 06:56:14 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >John may have gone through a similar phase. Also for many people as
> >they get older, their liberal some what idealistic view of the world
> >can become tarnished. You know, the silly saying "A liberal is is a
> >conservative who hasn't been mugged yet."
>
> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>
> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
> more conservative as time went on.
>
> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.

That's amazing! Things happened to me as well! It's like we're related
or something.

moonpie

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 07:42:32 -0700 (PDT), marcuscp
<phelanmarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 12:29?am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 06:56:14 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >John may have gone through a similar phase. Also for many people as
>> >they get older, their liberal some what idealistic view of the world
>> >can become tarnished. You know, the silly saying "A liberal is is a
>> >conservative who hasn't been mugged yet."
>>
>> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>>
>> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
>> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
>> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
>> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
>> more conservative as time went on.
>>
>> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.
>
>That's amazing! Things happened to me as well! It's like we're related
>or something.

You went to art college?

topaz

On Jul 5, 10:29 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 06:56:14 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >John may have gone through a similar phase. Also for many people as
> >they get older, their liberal some what idealistic view of the world
> >can become tarnished. You know, the silly saying "A liberal is is a
> >conservative who hasn't been mugged yet."
>
> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>
> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
> more conservative as time went on.
>
> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.

I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
some areas, more conservative in others.

moonpie

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 04:23:19 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgalaxy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 5, 10:29?am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 06:56:14 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >John may have gone through a similar phase. Also for many people as
>> >they get older, their liberal some what idealistic view of the world
>> >can become tarnished. You know, the silly saying "A liberal is is a
>> >conservative who hasn't been mugged yet."
>>
>> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>>
>> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
>> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
>> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
>> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
>> more conservative as time went on.
>>
>> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.
>
>I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
>some areas, more conservative in others.

me too... socially liberal I guess, pro-gay rights, no real opinion on
abortion (seems to be a womans issue and I'm a man), interested in
seeing the results of a small scale legalization of pot somewhere...

financially and economically, tho, i think the left is mostly wrong
about a lot of things. However, this hard and fast NO TAX INCREASE the
republicans are holding onto right now, isnt very practical either.
I'm pretty fucking annoyed with the current crop of republicans in
washington.

john

On Jul 6, 10:29 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:...

> >I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
> >some areas, more conservative in others.
>
> me too... socially liberal I guess, pro-gay rights, no real opinion on
> abortion (seems to be a womans issue and I'm a man), interested in
> seeing the results of a small scale legalization of pot somewhere...
>
> financially and economically, tho, i think the left is mostly wrong
> about a lot of things. However, this hard and fast NO TAX INCREASE the
> republicans are holding onto right now, isnt very practical either.
> I'm pretty fucking annoyed with the current crop of republicans in
> washington.

Here we agree.

The GOP attitude seems to be "we did very well in the last election,
and won the House. Therefore we're entitled to hold our breath till we
turn blue to force the Senate & Executive to give us everything while
we concede nothing". We'll claim "we all have to tighten out belts",
but the fine print will exclude the ultra rich and corporations, who
should be given more perks while executive compensation just jumped
38% even though wages for the rest of us are stagnant.

David Brooks just weighed in on today's "Down the Rabbit Hole" GOP
philosophy:

"... the Republican Party may no longer be a normal party. Over the
past few years, it has been infected by a faction that is more of a
psychological protest than a practical, governing alternative.

The members of this movement do not accept the logic of
compromise....The members of this movement do not accept the
legitimacy of scholars and intellectual authorities....The members of
this movement have no sense of moral decency....The members of this
movement have no economic theory worthy of the name.

....If the debt ceiling talks fail, independents voters will see
that Democrats were willing to compromise but Republicans were not. If
responsible Republicans don’t take control, independents will conclude
that Republican fanaticism caused this default. They will conclude
that Republicans are not fit to govern.

And they will be right."

moonpie

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:14:23 -0700 (PDT), John Doherty
<john@johndoherty.com> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 10:29?am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:...
>>
>> >I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
>> >some areas, more conservative in others.
>>
>> me too... socially liberal I guess, pro-gay rights, no real opinion on
>> abortion (seems to be a womans issue and I'm a man), interested in
>> seeing the results of a small scale legalization of pot somewhere...
>>
>> financially and economically, tho, i think the left is mostly wrong
>> about a lot of things. However, this hard and fast NO TAX INCREASE the
>> republicans are holding onto right now, isnt very practical either.
>> I'm pretty fucking annoyed with the current crop of republicans in
>> washington.
>
>Here we agree.

of course, because, i disagree with the republicans in that particular
issue.

what a shock

the rest wasnt worth reading, really.

you might as well give up on me, John.. I've heard it all too many
times before, and rejected most of it as being impractical and too
one-sided.

gemjack

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:29:54 -0400, moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>>>
>>> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
>>> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
>>> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
>>> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
>>> more conservative as time went on.

If I may...

I find this interesting. FWIW I evolved into quite the
conservative/republican cheerleader during the 90's when I finally
started making some money. But as time went on (especially after 911)
my early liberal tendencies began popping into focus again. Now at 40
I feel satisfied distancing myself from 'following' politics on a
daily basis and yet staying informed enough to vote sensibly.

I do find it quite easy and possible to be and live in a country
that's very liberal on social policies and yet fiscally responsible
enough to balance a checkbook, though I don't see how it can happen
under the current practice of intermingling our businesses with our
government. *That* will be our undoing.

>>> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.
>>
>>I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
>>some areas, more conservative in others.
>>

>me too... socially liberal I guess, pro-gay rights, no real opinion on
>abortion (seems to be a womans issue and I'm a man), interested in
>seeing the results of a small scale legalization of pot somewhere...

I think I'm pro-everything. From a philosophical POV that is.

>financially and economically, tho, i think the left is mostly wrong
>about a lot of things.

Though I supported Obama, I find it extremely obnoxious that his
administration would do so much to increase our debt and then not
raise the debt limit. It's a poor way to make a point and a bluff
(IMO) to force the Reps hand on this. Am I correct that his refusal
is to try to get the Reps to agree to fair taxing for the 1% and to
end unnecessary corporate entitlements?

>However, this hard and fast NO TAX INCREASE the
>republicans are holding onto right now, isnt very practical either.
>I'm pretty fucking annoyed with the current crop of republicans in
>washington.

It annoys me more that they see companies (that put them in office)
having to finally pay proper taxes, and lose the aforementioned
entitlements, as 'tax increases'.

-gj

Lizz Holmans

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:29:48 -0400, moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.

Some of us still do.

Lizz' anti-monarchist' Holmans

--

Whatever happened to linoleum floors, petroleum jelly and two world wars?

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/show/826793-cricket...

topaz

On Jul 6, 10:29 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 04:23:19 -0700 (PDT), topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Jul 5, 10:29 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I was a hardcore liberal when I was in art college.
>
> >> Over time, things happened I guess... I started a career, started
> >> paying for everything myself, started paying closer attention to
> >> politics, got married, started a family, and had considerable
> >> responsibilities and obligations to people besides myself. I became
> >> more conservative as time went on.
>
> >> I've met others who said the same thing, more or less.
>
> >I was more liberal when I was younger as well., I am still liberal in
> >some areas, more conservative in others.
>
> me too... socially liberal I guess, pro-gay rights, no real opinion on
> abortion (seems to be a womans issue and I'm a man), interested in
> seeing the results of a small scale legalization of pot somewhere...
>
> financially and economically, tho, i think the left is mostly wrong
> about a lot of things. However, this hard and fast NO TAX INCREASE the
> republicans are holding onto right now, isnt very practical either.
> I'm pretty fucking annoyed with the current crop of republicans in
> washington.- Hide quoted text -

we have very similar views, not totally alike but similar
I am socially liberal on a few issues, not all. Very much pro choice
and feminist. I think the politicians are digging their heels in quite
a bit too much.
Yes I agree with you on this Republican "Alamo-like" view on tax
increases.
I am still waiting for both sides, especially our Prez, to tell us
how we are going to stop sending so many jobs overseas.
I recall Obama claimed during the campaign he would put an end to
that....I do not recall lately any specific plan to stop sending our
jobs overseas.

marcus

On Jul 3, 9:56 am, topaz <topazgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 4:53 pm, John Doherty <j...@johndoherty.com> wrote:
>

> > The retread story posted here lately about former Lennon household
> > employee & convicted thief Fred Seaman's allegations that non-citizen
> > Lennon "was a Republican" is wrong in many ways.
>
> > It may be true that Lennon said what Seaman says. Anything's possible,
> > and Lennon liked to play devil's advocate.
>
> > But some have mentioned that his pro-Reagan sympathies were personal,
> > not political, in that he attended the Carter Inaugural in 76 and felt
> > snubbed by JC. Also he had met Reagan (on the Monday night football
> > game he visited) and like many was charmed by his Irish wit & demeanor
> > (as were many who met him).
>
> > Lennon biographer Jon Wiener noted recently that Lennon was involved
> > in left-wing politics to the very end. In November 1980, he offered a
> > public statement of support to union workers striking for higher wages
> > from the company that made Kikkoman soy sauce:
>
> >     "We are with you in spirit. . . . In this beautiful country where
> > democracy is the very foundation of its constitution, it is sad that
> > we have to still fight for equal rights and equal pay for the
> > citizens. Boycott it must be, if it is the only way to bring justice
> > and restore the dignity of the constitution for the sake of all
> > citizens of the US and their children."
>
> >     Peace and love, John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York City, December,
> > 1980.
>
> > So you current wingers trying to paint JL into your corner may wonder
> > ask yourselves how  Lennon would have felt when Reagan began the union
> > busting trend soon after taking office in '81. I believe this December
> > 1980 letter in support of workers' rights suggest that Lennon would
> > not have cared for that trend at all.
>
> John's political views certainly evolved over time,  however, many
> people have this occur.
> It does not surprise me that someone may start out from a working
> class or middle class family and view himself as a "have not" with
> more "let's help the world" philosophy .
>
> Then when they become truly rich and they realize their wealth is self
> made, they may change politically  and  want  less  interference by
> the government ie less taking of their wealth away by the government
> and change politically.  So much of the politically fighting today in
> our country is  over whether or not someone views himself or herself
> as   a "have"  or a "have not".
> John may have gone through a similar phase. Also for many people as
> they get older, their liberal some what idealistic view of the world
> can become tarnished. You know, the silly saying "A liberal is is a
> conservative who hasn't been mugged yet."

"A conservative is a liberal who hasn't been disenfranchised yet."