Timeouts with Thread#join and Net:HTTP

Rushi

3/18/2009 7:11:00 AM

I have a script doing some multi-threaded work. Every thread is a call
to an API making a simple post request. My problem is that the script
throws a Timeout:Error when i'm waiting for all my threads to join
<code>
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:60:in `rbuf_fill': execution expired
(Timeout::Error)
from test.rb:35:in `join'
from test.rb:35
from test.rb:34:in `each'
from test.rb:34
</code>

Here's my code - test.rb
<code>
amount = 60
@threads = []

1.upto(amount) { |i|
@threads << Thread.new do
puts "New Thread Created #{i}"

# This thread makes 10 post requests
1.upto(10) { |j|
puts "Thread #{i} Try #{j}"
# => DO post request using Net:HTTP
Net::HTTP.start("localhost", "80") do |http|
response = http.request_post("/test/mypost.php?get=value",
"a=b,c=d")
end
}

end
}

# Join all the threads we have created
@threads.each{ |thr|
thr.join # Timeout:ERror thrown here after approx 1.5 mins
}
</code>

Wrapping my thread.join call around Timeout::timeout (http:/...
doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/timeout/rdoc/classes/Timeout.html) didn't help
either.

Any suggestions how to make it *not* timeout so that I can finish
making all the API calls? I've tried hard but haven't been able to
find a solution
2 Answers

barjunk

On Mar 17, 11:11 pm, Rushi <rush...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a script doing some multi-threaded work. Every thread is a call
> to an API making a simple post request. My problem is that the script
> throws a Timeout:Error when i'm waiting for all my threads to join
> <code>
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:60:in `rbuf_fill': execution expired
> (Timeout::Error)
> from test.rb:35:in `join'
> from test.rb:35
> from test.rb:34:in `each'
> from test.rb:34
> </code>
>
> Here's my code - test.rb
> <code>
> amount = 60
> @threads = []
>
> 1.upto(amount) { |i|
> @threads << Thread.new do
> puts "New Thread Created #{i}"
>
> # This thread makes 10 post requests
> 1.upto(10) { |j|
> puts "Thread #{i} Try #{j}"
> # => DO post request using Net:HTTP
> Net::HTTP.start("localhost", "80") do |http|
> response = http.request_post("/test/mypost.php?get=value",
> "a=b,c=d")
> end
> }
>
> end
>
> }
>
> # Join all the threads we have created
> @threads.each{ |thr|
> thr.join # Timeout:ERror thrown here after approx 1.5 mins}
>
> </code>
>
> Wrapping my thread.join call around Timeout::timeout (http:/...
> doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/timeout/rdoc/classes/Timeout.html) didn't help
> either.
>
> Any suggestions how to make it *not* timeout so that I can finish
> making all the API calls? I've tried hard but haven't been able to
> find a solution

There is a reference to a timeout tool called terminator that you
might look at in James Edward Gray II confreaks presentation
'LittleBIGRuby' It is a quick reference, but it might do what you
want.

Code is here: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1024&releas...

I believe Ara Howard wrote it.

Mike B.

7stud --

Rushi wrote:
> # Join all the threads we have created
> @threads.each{ |thr|
> thr.join # Timeout:ERror thrown here after approx 1.5 mins
> }
> </code>
>
> Wrapping my thread.join call around Timeout::timeout (http:/...
> doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/timeout/rdoc/classes/Timeout.html) didn't help
> either.
>
> Any suggestions how to make it *not* timeout so that I can finish
> making all the API calls? I've tried hard but haven't been able to
> find a solution

I don't see how join can timeout at all the way you've called it. join
should never timeout, unless you specify a limit:

thr.join => thr
thr.join(limit) => thr