Re: BigNum optimizations

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: BigNum optimizations"
on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:01:07 +0900, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb@gm=
ail.com> writes:

|> We cannot link pure GPLed library to Ruby for licensing issue. =A0Last
|> time I checked none of these multi precision numeric libraries
|> satisfied our criteria (license, portability, etc). =A0GMP (or CLN or
|> whatever) can be used via extension, and we are happy to offer help if
|> required.
|
|I just checked ... GMP is LGPL. Would that work?

Well, it's not impossible (i.e. 1.8 regex was LGPL), but not ideal.
Some commercial Ruby users had to replace 1.8 regex by Oniguruma only
for a license issue. I don't want to see same situation for bignums.

matz.

2 Answers

Jeremy Hinegardner

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:10:45AM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: BigNum optimizations"
> on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:01:07 +0900, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |> We cannot link pure GPLed library to Ruby for licensing issue. ?Last
> |> time I checked none of these multi precision numeric libraries
> |> satisfied our criteria (license, portability, etc). ?GMP (or CLN or
> |> whatever) can be used via extension, and we are happy to offer help if
> |> required.
> |
> |I just checked ... GMP is LGPL. Would that work?
>
> Well, it's not impossible (i.e. 1.8 regex was LGPL), but not ideal.
> Some commercial Ruby users had to replace 1.8 regex by Oniguruma only
> for a license issue. I don't want to see same situation for bignums.

How about libtommath/libtomfastmath ? there is a gem of it available:

http://math.libtom...

enjoy,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy@hinegardner.org