comp.lang.python

reliable whois in python

eliss

1/15/2008 3:49:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write a python script to whois a few domains twice a day
so I get notified when they become available. I did it 2 ways, but
neither way is very reliable, so I'm asking here.

1) I tried just calling "whois %s" using popen, but I found that once
every few weeks, I get errors like:
connect: No route to host OR
fgets: Connection reset by peer
I don't think it's a connectivity issue because looking up the other
domains that day works, and just one domain will give an error. So
it's probably more like a networking issue? I don't know...

2) I tried using sockets to connect to the whois port of
whois.internic.net and then read the info, which works a little better
than 1). However, sometimes this is not reliable too and I get errors.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this better?

Thanks,

eliss
1 Answer

PatsSox

"David in NYC" <dbillotti@gmail.com> wrote in message ...
> Van Morrison.... Them to solo < I'm on a Van the Man kick this
> week!>

I'm always on a low-grade Van Morrison kick. There was a great, brief
interview with him in The New Yorker a week or two ago, and I thought
it was pretty cool that the interview was done in a dive bar four
blocks from my apartment.
I guess they picked that way out of the way place because its well-
known for its jukebox. In fact, he was spinning through it and
mentioned the influence some of the artists had on him.
For instance, I've known about Gene Vincent forever, but nothing more
specific musically than Be Bop a Lula. In the interview, Van said
that Vincent was a better example of rock and roll for him than Elvis
(or something like that), so I bought a Gene Vincent collection today,
and it is indeed pretty spectacular.
David in NYC

I've usually got some Van in the CD player.... more so than usual this
week... I think it's because of the recent interview on CBS Sunday Morning.
I missed the New Yorker interview... thanks for the heads up... I'll hunt it
down.