Dynamically extending modules once they have been included

pete

3/17/2009 12:11:00 AM

It doesn't seem possible to dynamically extend modules once they have
already been included into a particular class. By dynamically extend,
I mean to include a module within another module. Directly opening up
the class and adding methods works fine. See this example:
http://pastie.... And also, if you "re-include" the original
module into your classes it will pick up the extension module's
methods.

So why doesn't including a module into another module affect classes
that have already included that first module?

The only alternative I've find is to loop through the ObjectSpace
(filtering on classes) and find out which class's ancestors include
the module I want to extend and then include my extension module
straight into the class.

Thanks for any help/understanding!
28 Answers

jauzins

> Another point is if the kid is just a novelty, and knows enough to get
> by, how much does that affect the sets. Does that mean the same static
> setlist night in and out, over and over and over again /

I'd say this break down into two parts: (1) learning the basics of
Bruce's catalog and covers that he might play in concert, and (2)
learning how to watch Bruce's every move onstage to follow his ad-libs
and audibles.

There are plenty of professional drummers that can learn the first
part in a reasonable amount of time. It would take much longer to
learn the second part. Max is, of course, better than any other
drummer in the world at this. Not having him there would probably (as
suggested) lead to more static setlists. Long soundchecks before
every show might help out.

A to Z

"Andy" <andyacunzo@aol.com> wrote in message

> I don't disagree with the idea of Jay specifically, but does anyone
> else disagree with the idea of a fill in drummer in general? When
> Danny was sick I can understand the need to either have a fill in or
> not tour. But Max simply has a scheduling conflict. Couldn't the
> tour dates have been arranged to take this into account?

only if they were only going to play Friday and Saturday nights...

> It's not
> like Max moving to the Tonight Show with Conan is a last minute
> surprise, the date has been known for what, a year? It just seems to
> cheapen the name E Street Band when a precedent like this is being
> set. Maybe I'm thinking that with Danny gone, it's more important
> than ever that every able bodied member be there, or they don't call
> it the E Street Band.
>
> Andy

Lars

>Another point is if the kid is just a novelty, and knows enough to get
>by, how much does that affect the sets. Does that mean the same static
>setlist night in and out, over and over and over again /

Charlie is a great organplayer, but when he first joined the band, the
static playlists blew!

No more static playlists!!

/Lars

Damien

"Lars" <brugesikke@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>Another point is if the kid is just a novelty, and knows enough to get
>>by, how much does that affect the sets. Does that mean the same static
>>setlist night in and out, over and over and over again /
>
> Charlie is a great organplayer, but when he first joined the band, the
> static playlists blew!
>
> No more static playlists!!

Aren't they only "static" if you attend all those shows, and seeing the same
setlists?

A to Z

"Damien" <dndnnnn@fhhtnen.com> wrote in message

> "Lars" <brugesikke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Another point is if the kid is just a novelty, and knows enough to get
>>>by, how much does that affect the sets. Does that mean the same static
>>>setlist night in and out, over and over and over again /
>>
>> Charlie is a great organplayer, but when he first joined the band, the
>> static playlists blew!
>>
>> No more static playlists!!
>
> Aren't they only "static" if you attend all those shows, and seeing the
> same setlists?

no, they're static whether you're there or not. You just don't notice it if
you only go to one show

ImThCat@aol.com

On Mar 15, 12:13 pm, Andy <andyacu...@aol.com> wrote:
> I don't disagree with the idea of Jay specifically, but does anyone
> else disagree with the idea of a fill in drummer in general?  When
> Danny was sick I can understand the need to either have a fill in or
> not tour.  But Max simply has a scheduling conflict.  Couldn't the
> tour dates have been arranged to take this into account?  It's not
> like Max moving to the Tonight Show with Conan is a last minute
> surprise, the date has been known for what, a year?  It just seems to
> cheapen the name E Street Band when a precedent like this is being
> set.  Maybe I'm thinking that with Danny gone, it's more important
> than ever that every able bodied member be there, or they don't call
> it the E Street Band.
>
> Andy

Yeah, they should have kicked off the the tour in Europe, with U.S.
dates after June scheduled around Max's Tonight Show commitments. Or
they could have just started the tour earlier...

Garry

Garry

Maureen

On Mar 15, 12:13 pm, Andy <andyacu...@aol.com> wrote:
> I don't disagree with the idea of Jay specifically, but does anyone
> else disagree with the idea of a fill in drummer in general?  When
> Danny was sick I can understand the need to either have a fill in or
> not tour.  But Max simply has a scheduling conflict.  Couldn't the
> tour dates have been arranged to take this into account?  It's not
> like Max moving to the Tonight Show with Conan is a last minute
> surprise, the date has been known for what, a year?  It just seems to
> cheapen the name E Street Band when a precedent like this is being
> set.  Maybe I'm thinking that with Danny gone, it's more important
> than ever that every able bodied member be there, or they don't call
> it the E Street Band.
>
> Andy

************************

It's just one tour--maybe Jay's just holding his place this time.
I can understand the disappointment, but as long as he holds up his
end of the bargain, I'll be okay with it.

Maureen

On Mar 15, 12:58 pm, jauzins <josh.auz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another point is if the kid is just a novelty, and knows enough to get
> > by, how much does that affect the sets. Does that mean the same static
> > setlist night in and out, over and over and over again /
>
> I'd say this break down into two parts: (1) learning the basics of
> Bruce's catalog and covers that he might play in concert, and (2)
> learning how to watch Bruce's every move onstage to follow his ad-libs
> and audibles.
>
> There are plenty of professional drummers that can learn the first
> part in a reasonable amount of time.  It would take much longer to
> learn the second part.  Max is, of course, better than any other
> drummer in the world at this.  Not having him there would probably (as
> suggested) lead to more static setlists.  Long soundchecks before
> every show might help out.

********************

The thought of the static setlists is what bothers me most.
Not just because I'm going to a Boston & Hartford show, but it just
takes some of the fun and anticipation out of the show.

Damien

"A to Z" <REMOVETHESEaddietzCAPS@verizonPLEASE.net> wrote in message

> "Damien" <dndnnnn@fhhtnen.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lars" <brugesikke@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Charlie is a great organplayer, but when he first joined the band, the
>>> static playlists blew!
>>>
>>> No more static playlists!!
>>
>> Aren't they only "static" if you attend all those shows, and seeing the
>> same setlists?
>>

> no, they're static whether you're there or not. You just don't notice it
> if you only go to one show

That was pretty much my point. To who cares about the "static" setlists?

The 80% or 90% of the crowd that goes to one show a tour and are not reading
the setlists via the internet thus do not know that song "A" was played 3
out of of the last 4 shows in slot 7?

Or the handful of people at each show that go to multiply shows are are
texting in the setlist in real-time?

> "A to Z" <REMOVETHESEaddietzCAPS@verizonPLEASE.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Damien" <dndnnnn@fhhtnen.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Lars" <brugesikke@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Aren't they only "static" if you attend all those shows, and seeing the
>>> same setlists?
>>>

>> no, they're static whether you're there or not. You just don't notice it
>> if you only go to one show
>>

> That was pretty much my point. To who cares about the "static" setlists?
>
> The 80% or 90% of the crowd that goes to one show a tour and are not
> reading the setlists via the internet thus do not know that song "A" was
> played 3 out of of the last 4 shows in slot 7?
>
> Or the handful of people at each show that go to multiply shows are are
> texting in the setlist in real-time?

sure.

On the other hand, spontaneity brings a liveliness that has always been a
trademark of Bruce shows. By-the-numbers static setlists are more of an Up
With People kind of thing.