comp.lang.python

DBUS and exceptions

Frank Aune

Im using DBUS in my application to detect HW hotplugging and removal, which
works great except for one thing: The code executed when a hotplugging is
detected does not raise exceptions, even if my code contains errors. The
event will just stop silently at the point where the exception occurs, and no
message is printed or logged.

This makes it hard of course to detect errors I make in the signal handlers,
when exceptions aren't raised. There is no try-except-pass clause in my code
either which hides the exceptions.

I was thinking perhaps its DBUS default behaviour to never fail in its signal
handlers?

Thanks,
Frank
12 Answers

NM

After thought:

Do you guys think I should just get rid of all those dual jumpers on
J1--and just put in a new 0.100" 7/8" header pin to start fresh at
those contacts?

That's the only thing I can think of that might have upset things.

I mean, I hate to just start replacing stuff for the sake of replacing
stuff--because there's obviously some variable I caused during this
operation to have caused this problem--but that's all I can think of--
that might have caused a perfectly-functioning clock to now read
broken?

And where's everyone's friend Lloyd with his trusted advice?

Thanks again,

Neil

Bod

On Feb 8, 2:25 am, NM <rp272...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After thought:
>
> Do you guys think I should just get rid of all those dual jumpers on
> J1--and just put in a new 0.100" 7/8" header pin to start fresh at
> those contacts?
>
> That's the only thing I can think of that might have upset things.
>
> I mean, I hate to just start replacing stuff for the sake of replacing
> stuff--because there's obviously some variable I caused during this
> operation to have caused this problem--but that's all I can think of--
> that might have caused a perfectly-functioning clock to now read
> broken?
>
> And where's everyone's friend Lloyd with his trusted advice?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Neil

Neil, I am pretty sure this isnt the isue as well.
I took apart my clock when i started receiving error messages - my
error was the interconnect between the 2 circuit boards, but i
inadvertantly dropped the housing and mis-aligned the cogs.
I re-aligned them up and upon completion i got something similar to
what you are describing (cant rememebr the exact fails) I am pretty
sure that your initial error was casued by the hands showing 12:00
when they were in fact at 18:00, but now you have had a further
attempt at re-alignment it is probably exasperating the issue.
like the other guys say - if all opto's are registering then the fault
is highly likely to be mechanical in nature, you alignment is still
out - hence the 10:00. Again this is causing the clock to screw up -
not the jumpers.
re-check Ed's page and picstures and double check the white gears in
the TZ operator manual that also has instructions for re-assembly if
the assembly is correct it will result in the hands being at 12:00.
Trust me, i had to disassemble it 3 times...

NM

On Feb 7, 4:05 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...Procedure is in the TZ manual if you didn't know that already.

> -scott CARGPB#29

Not sure what you guys are referring to as all I see is very vague
assembly advice on p 1-51.

All it says is:

"8. Install large, black gear (03-8824) on center shaft, such that its
indicated tooth (molded line) is straddled by the two adjacent shorter
teeth on the small diameter gear of 03-8822."

See what I mean? Those instructions don't tell me anything about
orientation of the shaft hole or the line on the big black gear with
respect to which o'clock position they should rest at.

Here's where I'm stuck--can somebody please confirm:

1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
(03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?

2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
03-8823. As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?

3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?

4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
12:00 o'clock, right?

I think if someone could answer these four questions for me please, I
could get this damned thing running right finally (as I've taken it
apart no less than 15-20 times already having tried every conceivable
possible alignment (except for the right one). You'd think I'd have
just got lucky once and accidentally put the frickin' thing together
right, but no, of course not.

Thanks in advance,

Neil.

martin

On Feb 8, 10:53 am, NM <rp272...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 4:05 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...Procedure is in the TZ manual if you didn't know that already.
> > -scott CARGPB#29
>
> Not sure what you guys are referring to as all I see is very vague
> assembly advice on p 1-51.
>
> All it says is:
>
> "8. Install large, black gear (03-8824) on center shaft, such that its
> indicated tooth (molded line) is straddled by the two adjacent shorter
> teeth on the small diameter gear of 03-8822."
>
> See what I mean?  Those instructions don't tell me anything about
> orientation of the shaft hole or the line on the big black gear with
> respect to which o'clock position they should rest at.
>
> Here's where I'm stuck--can somebody please confirm:
>
> 1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
> (03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?
>
> 2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
> in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
> 03-8823.  As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
> big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?
>
> 3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
> straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> I think if someone could answer these four questions for me please, I
> could get this damned thing running right finally (as I've taken it
> apart no less than 15-20 times already having tried every conceivable
> possible alignment (except for the right one).  You'd think I'd have
> just got lucky once and accidentally put the frickin' thing together
> right, but no, of course not.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Neil.

1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
(03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?

7:00

2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
03-8823. As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?

These alignment lines do not matter. Only the black gear and teh
center metal shaft matter.

3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
Correct. So there are 2 positions for the shaft that work.

4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
12:00 o'clock, right?

Yes.

NM

On Feb 8, 9:34 pm, martin <martin.reyno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 10:53 am, NM <rp272...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 7, 4:05 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > ...Procedure is in the TZ manual if you didn't know that already.
> > > -scott CARGPB#29
>
> > Not sure what you guys are referring to as all I see is very vague
> > assembly advice on p 1-51.
>
> > All it says is:
>
> > "8. Install large, black gear (03-8824) on center shaft, such that its
> > indicated tooth (molded line) is straddled by the two adjacent shorter
> > teeth on the small diameter gear of 03-8822."
>
> > See what I mean?  Those instructions don't tell me anything about
> > orientation of the shaft hole or the line on the big black gear with
> > respect to which o'clock position they should rest at.
>
> > Here's where I'm stuck--can somebody please confirm:
>
> > 1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
> > (03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?
>
> > 2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
> > in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
> > 03-8823.  As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
> > big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?
>
> > 3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
> > straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> > 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> > 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> > I think if someone could answer these four questions for me please, I
> > could get this damned thing running right finally (as I've taken it
> > apart no less than 15-20 times already having tried every conceivable
> > possible alignment (except for the right one).  You'd think I'd have
> > just got lucky once and accidentally put the frickin' thing together
> > right, but no, of course not.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Neil.
>
> 1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
> (03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?
>
> 7:00
>
> 2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
> in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
> 03-8823.  As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
> big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?
>
> These alignment lines do not matter. Only the black gear and teh
> center metal shaft matter.
>
> 3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
> straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
> Correct. So there are 2 positions for the shaft that work.
>
> 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> Yes.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks very much for your help Martin.

I'll give that a shot and report back tomorrow.

Best regards,

Neil.

NM

On Feb 8, 9:34 pm, martin <martin.reyno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 10:53 am, NM <rp272...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 7, 4:05 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > ...Procedure is in the TZ manual if you didn't know that already.
> > > -scott CARGPB#29
>
> > Not sure what you guys are referring to as all I see is very vague
> > assembly advice on p 1-51.
>
> > All it says is:
>
> > "8. Install large, black gear (03-8824) on center shaft, such that its
> > indicated tooth (molded line) is straddled by the two adjacent shorter
> > teeth on the small diameter gear of 03-8822."
>
> > See what I mean?  Those instructions don't tell me anything about
> > orientation of the shaft hole or the line on the big black gear with
> > respect to which o'clock position they should rest at.
>
> > Here's where I'm stuck--can somebody please confirm:
>
> > 1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
> > (03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?
>
> > 2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
> > in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
> > 03-8823.  As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
> > big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?
>
> > 3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
> > straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> > 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> > 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> > I think if someone could answer these four questions for me please, I
> > could get this damned thing running right finally (as I've taken it
> > apart no less than 15-20 times already having tried every conceivable
> > possible alignment (except for the right one).  You'd think I'd have
> > just got lucky once and accidentally put the frickin' thing together
> > right, but no, of course not.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Neil.
>
> 1. I don't know where to point the black line on the large black gear
> (03-8824): 7:00 or 12:00?
>
> 7:00
>
> 2. I see two addtional orientation lines on the next two (white) gears
> in sequence (after the large black gear): namely, 03-8822 and
> 03-8823.  As I said, both of these have an orientation line like the
> big gear--how do all there line up with respect to each other?
>
> These alignment lines do not matter. Only the black gear and teh
> center metal shaft matter.
>
> 3. Regarding the hole metal shaft--this is supposed to be pointing
> straight up to 12:00 o'clock, right?
> Correct. So there are 2 positions for the shaft that work.
>
> 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> Yes.- Hide quoted text -

Well I tried everything in the above instructions and had the same
negative result (even marked the metal hole in the shaft and tried it
in both ways at 12:00 (with the black line at 7:00 both times).

All I can think of now (short of throwing in the towel and ordering a
Rottendog; which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Pinbits kit
in the first place) is to replace the 0.100" header pin 7/8" long &
its corresponding female connector on the other board.

As mentioned, the clock worked perfectly before the LED/resistor
upgrade and I never touched the any of optos (besides, they all
register perfectly in test mode)...only lingering problem is "Clock is
Broken", it never finds 12:00, and it's off on 5 of 12 hours.

Any other ideas/thoughts anyone?

Thanks again,

Neil

martin

On Feb 9, 2:35 pm, NM <rp272...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > 4. And when you put both hands on, these are supposed to also be at
> > 12:00 o'clock, right?
>
> > Yes.- Hide quoted text -

> Well I tried everything in the above instructions and had the same
> negative result (even marked the metal hole in the shaft and tried it
> in both ways at 12:00 (with the black line at 7:00 both times).
>
> All I can think of now (short of throwing in the towel and ordering a
> Rottendog; which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Pinbits kit
> in the first place) is to replace the 0.100" header pin 7/8" long &
> its corresponding female connector on the other board.
>
> As mentioned, theclockworked perfectly before the LED/resistor
> upgrade and I never touched the any of optos (besides, they all
> register perfectly in test mode)...only lingering problem is "Clockis
> Broken", it never finds 12:00, and it's off on 5 of 12 hours.

OK, looking at your previous data and the clock readings that I took
from my game, you have a short between two of the optos. That short
shows up as optos 7 and 8 (I think) either both being x, or both being
0. If you run the switch test, you will propbably not see an hours
pattern that ends in x 0 or 0 x. Jst both on, or both off.

If there is a short, it will affect other switches as well. So I would
check the 5 million targets as well, you are looking for double switch
hits. I'd be looking at pins 1 and 2 on the clock interconnect, or
maybe 3 and 4.

NM

On Feb 10, 12:29 am, martin <martin.reyno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there is a short, it will affect other switches as well...

Boy, you can say that again--getting very screwy reports on Test
Report (that were never there before installing the Pinbits LED mod):

Check Switch 35 - Right Sling
Check Switch 36 - Left Outlane
Check Switch 37 - Left Inlane 1
Check Switch 45 - Mini PF Left (2)
Check Switch 46 - Mini PF Right (2); and of course:
Clock Is Broken

Also, I noticed these error messages seem to change depending upon the
position of the metal shaft in the clock or the big black gear when I
was trying to realign the clock. I remember one or two of them
mentioning the word "short"; but I don't remember any more specifics.

> I'd be looking at pins 1 and 2 on the clock interconnect, or maybe 3 and 4.

Ordered a new 0.1" header pin & receptacle to bridge both original
boards from GPE--sounds like this is the fix, right?

In the event that doesn't work, should I replace all the optos/
resistors or just get a new Rottendog?

Thanks again!

Neil.

seymour-shabow

NM wrote:
> On Feb 10, 12:29 am, martin <martin.reyno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If there is a short, it will affect other switches as well...
>
> Boy, you can say that again--getting very screwy reports on Test
> Report (that were never there before installing the Pinbits LED mod):
>
> Check Switch 35 - Right Sling
> Check Switch 36 - Left Outlane
> Check Switch 37 - Left Inlane 1
> Check Switch 45 - Mini PF Left (2)
> Check Switch 46 - Mini PF Right (2); and of course:
> Clock Is Broken
>
> Also, I noticed these error messages seem to change depending upon the
> position of the metal shaft in the clock or the big black gear when I
> was trying to realign the clock. I remember one or two of them
> mentioning the word "short"; but I don't remember any more specifics.
>
>> I'd be looking at pins 1 and 2 on the clock interconnect, or maybe 3 and 4.
>
> Ordered a new 0.1" header pin & receptacle to bridge both original
> boards from GPE--sounds like this is the fix, right?
>
> In the event that doesn't work, should I replace all the optos/
> resistors or just get a new Rottendog?

Do the switch errors disappear if you disconnect the clock? (Obviously
the clock switches will show an error.....)

NM

On Feb 10, 5:54 pm, "seymour.shabow" <seymour.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do the switch errors disappear if you disconnect the clock?  (Obviously
> the clock switches will show an error.....)

Yes & no.

Meaning, after disconnecting the clock they'll still show--but after
clearing them all individually in "Single Switches" in Test Mode,
they're gone...but having the clock disconnected brings up more errors
after clearing the previous ones. Meaning, after I did so, then
errors appeared for Switches 47, & 49...If I'm not mistaken, I think
it's an endless loop if the clock is disconnected.

I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait till the GPE
stuff gets here and I install it.

Question is: if that fails, should I throw in the towel and just get a
Rotendog...or proceed with optos/resistors on the original boards?

Thanks again,

Neil.