new to ruby: uninitialized constant

Paul Varoutsos

3/14/2009 6:24:00 PM

I have a program the simulates the knights tour problem. I made 2
classes, 1 called 'Location' which simulates a location on a chess board
and one called 'KnightsTour' which actually performs the knights tour.
Then I have a main.rb file which just creats a knights tour object
(KnightsTour.new) and calls a method on that object. But whenever i try
to run it, I get the following error:

C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:3:in `const_missing':
uninitialized constant KnightsTour (NameError)
from C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Collins

Paul Varoutsos wrote:
> I have a program the simulates the knights tour problem. I made 2
> classes, 1 called 'Location' which simulates a location on a chess board
> and one called 'KnightsTour' which actually performs the knights tour.
> Then I have a main.rb file which just creats a knights tour object
> (KnightsTour.new) and calls a method on that object. But whenever i try
> to run it, I get the following error:
>
> C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:3:in `const_missing':
> uninitialized constant KnightsTour (NameError)
> from C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:8
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you "require" the files containing the other two classes? Ruby will
not search for them automatically the way, for example, Java does.

-Justin

Paul Varoutsos

Justin Collins wrote:
> Paul Varoutsos wrote:
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Do you "require" the files containing the other two classes? Ruby will
> not search for them automatically the way, for example, Java does.
>
> -Justin

Yes I did

Justin Collins

Paul Varoutsos wrote:

> C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:3:in `const_missing':
> uninitialized constant KnightsTour (NameError)
> from C:\NetBeansWorkspace\KnightsTour\lib\main.rb:8
> Justin Collins wrote:
>
>> Paul Varoutsos wrote:
>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> Do you "require" the files containing the other two classes? Ruby will
>> not search for them automatically the way, for example, Java does.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

> Yes I did

Then it is hard to tell what is going on without seeing your code. This
error generally means you either have not made the class available or
there is a typo somewhere, assuming KnightsTour is a class. Or possibly
you are using it before it is defined.

-Justin