comp.lang.python

Re: Great Python books for the beginner

Dick Moores

1/13/2008 2:29:00 AM

At 11:03 PM 1/11/2008, Landon wrote:
>Hi, I'm a freshman in college and I'm going to be taking an intro to
>programming course next semester which mainly uses Python, so I
>thought it might be a good time to pick up Python beyond the scope of
>the class as well. The text book for this class is Python for the
>Absolute Beginner or something similar to that name.
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what other titles I
>could look into since this one seems from a glance at reviews to be
>teaching mainly through game programming (a topic I'm not too
>interested in) or if this one is a quality book by itself.

Yes, it's a quality book, IMO.

I hope by now you've gotten over your dislike for online tutorials.
Please take a look at these 3:
Hands-On Python <http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh/python/han...
How to Think Like a (Python) Programmer
<http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkp...
Alan Gauld's Learning to Program (heavy emphasis on Python)
<http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan...

Also, do take advantage of the VERY helpful Tutor mailing list.

Dick Moores

>--

Rev-Test

Depending on where you live

Portland Pinball Map app is all you need!

Now covering all these locations also

Bay area
San Diego
Chicago
Boston
British Columbia
L.A.
Seattle

Not only tells you where the games are but also where & when upcoming
pinball events are happening!

Check it out best pinball app out there!

for more info see - http://www.portlandpinba...

Jake

ldnayman

I like the farting one.

For some reason it enrages non-Iphone users the most.

JJJ

Megatouch has Monkey Bash, Lucky 11s, Photo Hunt.

Wasting most of my time playing Atari Centipede.

Genius scan has been very handy.
Julius.