comp.lang.c++

Re: Problem with recursive make.

Erik Wikström

9/9/2008 5:27:00 PM

On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankjain@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,

And why did you pick this group, out of all possible groups, to ask this
question? After all, it does not have anything to do with C++, nor does
it have anything to do with Ford cars either, but I somehow suspect that
you did not ask in alt.autos.ford.

> I got the below paper and found the problems with which recursive make
> have. I guess FreeBSD use recursive make. Can any one comment on it
> and please clear my doubts why we use recursive make.

Because recursive make is easy to do and understand and once someone had
done it everyone else thought that it was the way to go?

--
Erik Wikström
11 Answers

contactmayankjain@gmail.com

On Sep 9, 10:26 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com> wrote:
> On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankj...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> And why did you pick this group, out of all possible groups, to ask this
> question? After all, it does not have anything to do with C++, nor does
> it have anything to do with Ford cars either, but I somehow suspect that
> you did not ask in alt.autos.ford.

I guess all I mean most of the C++ developers are familiar with the
Makefiles and automake.... so its the best place to discuss.
> > I got the below paper and found the problems with which recursive make
> > have. I guess FreeBSD use recursive make. Can any one comment on it
> > and please clear my doubts why we use recursive make.
>
> Because recursive make is easy to do and understand and once someone had
> done it everyone else thought that it was the way to go?

Can't we improve if something is having bug?
Mayank Jain

> --
> Erik Wikström

James Kanze

On Sep 10, 3:11 am, "contactmayankj...@gmail.com"
<contactmayankj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 10:26 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com>
> wrote:> On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankj...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > And why did you pick this group, out of all possible groups,
> > to ask this question? After all, it does not have anything
> > to do with C++, nor does it have anything to do with Ford
> > cars either, but I somehow suspect that you did not ask in
> > alt.autos.ford.

> I guess all I mean most of the C++ developers are familiar
> with the Makefiles and automake....

I doubt it. I'm familiar with GNU make (but not other makes),
but I have no idea what automake does---I've never heard of it.
And I'm definitely a C++ developer.

> so its the best place to discuss.

Most C++ developers understand English, so this is the best
place to discuss English grammar. Most C++ developers eat, so
this is the best place to discuss food.

Non sequitur.

Gennaro Prota

James Kanze wrote:
> Most C++ developers eat, so this is the best place to discuss food.

If bad response times give 'em a chance to do so, yep :-)

--
Gennaro Prota | name.surname yahoo.com
Breeze C++ (preview): <https://sourceforge.net/projects/b...

On Sep 10, 2:04 pm, James Kanze <james.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 3:11 am, "contactmayankj...@gmail.com"
>
> <contactmayankj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 10:26 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com>
> > wrote:> On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankj...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> > > And why did you pick this group, out of all possible groups,
> > > to ask this question? After all, it does not have anything
> > > to do with C++, nor does it have anything to do with Ford
> > > cars either, but I somehow suspect that you did not ask in
> > > alt.autos.ford.
> > I guess all I mean most of the C++ developers are familiar
> > with the Makefiles and automake....
>
> I doubt it.  I'm familiar with GNU make (but not other makes),
> but I have no idea what automake does---I've never heard of it.
> And I'm definitely a C++ developer.
>
> > so its the best place to discuss.
>
> Most C++ developers understand English, so this is the best
> place to discuss English grammar.  Most C++ developers eat, so
> this is the best place to discuss food.

I am not only interested in what autotools can do. I am interested to
know are they doing things in right way or wrong.

So query like "how is the food" can only be best answered by those who
have
actually eaten the food. I am surprised why you have any problem with
my
query. This is a good topic to discuss and is of benefit to all of
us. Am I clear to you?

> Non sequitur.
>
> --
> James Kanze (GABI Software)             email:james.ka...@gmail.com
>                    Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung

jt

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:11:59 -0700, contactmayankjain@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sep 9, 10:26 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankj...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>>
>> And why did you pick this group, out of all possible groups, to ask
>> this question? After all, it does not have anything to do with C++, nor
>> does it have anything to do with Ford cars either, but I somehow
>> suspect that you did not ask in alt.autos.ford.
>>
> I guess all I mean most of the C++ developers are familiar with the
> Makefiles and automake....

Not at all - especially in the MS Windows world.

> so its the best place to discuss.

Not at all - make and autotools are simply off-topic here. I suggest you
try some appropriate mailing lists. See e.g.:

http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?...
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/#ma...
http://sources.redhat.com...

--
Lionel B

James Kanze

On Sep 10, 12:27 pm, Gennaro Prota <gennaro/pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> James Kanze wrote:
> > Most C++ developers eat, so this is the best place to discuss food.

> If bad response times give 'em a chance to do so, yep :-)

Now I know why so many programmers are into template
meta-programming. Compile times give them a chance to eat:-).

James Kanze

On Sep 10, 1:16 pm, "contactmayankj...@gmail.com"
<contactmayankj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2:04 pm, James Kanze <james.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 10, 3:11 am, "contactmayankj...@gmail.com"

> > <contactmayankj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Sep 9, 10:26 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com>
> > > wrote:> On 2008-09-09 17:53, contactmayankj...@gmail.com
> > > I guess all I mean most of the C++ developers are familiar
> > > with the Makefiles and automake....

> > I doubt it. I'm familiar with GNU make (but not other
> > makes), but I have no idea what automake does---I've never
> > heard of it. And I'm definitely a C++ developer.

> > > so its the best place to discuss.

> > Most C++ developers understand English, so this is the best
> > place to discuss English grammar. Most C++ developers eat,
> > so this is the best place to discuss food.

> I am not only interested in what autotools can do. I am
> interested to know are they doing things in right way or
> wrong.

So how does that have anything to do with C++?

> So query like "how is the food" can only be best answered by
> those who have actually eaten the food.

And? The fact that most C++ programmers have actually eaten
food at some time doesn't make questions about it relevant here.

> I am surprised why you have any problem with my query.

Well, it's blatently off topic.

> This is a good topic to discuss and is of benefit to all of
> us. Am I clear to you?

No. It may be a good topic to discuss, but then only in an
appropriate newsgroup. And it's certainly not of benefit to all
of us here---I suspect that most C++ programmers are like me,
and have no idea what this tool is that you're talking about.

On Sep 10, 9:15 pm, James Kanze <james.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 1:16 pm, "contactmayankj...@gmail.com"
>

> <contactmayankj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 10, 2:04 pm, James Kanze <james.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I doubt it.  I'm familiar with GNU make (but not other
> > > makes), but I have no idea what automake does---I've never
> > > heard of it.  And I'm definitely a C++ developer.
> > > Most C++ developers understand English, so this is the best
> > > place to discuss English grammar.  Most C++ developers eat,
> > > so this is the best place to discuss food.
> > I am not only interested in what autotools can do. I am
> > interested to know are they doing things in right way or
> > wrong.
>
> So how does that have anything to do with C++?
>
> > So query like "how is the food" can only be best answered by
> > those who have actually eaten the food.
>
> And?  The fact that most C++ programmers have actually eaten
> food at some time doesn't make questions about it relevant here.
>
> > I am surprised why you have any problem with my query.
>
> Well, it's blatently off topic.
>
> > This is a good topic to discuss and is of benefit to all of
> > us. Am I clear to you?
>
> No.  It may be a good topic to discuss, but then only in an
> appropriate newsgroup.  And it's certainly not of benefit to all
> of us here---I suspect that most C++ programmers are like me,
> and have no idea what this tool is that you're talking about.
>
> --
> James Kanze (GABI Software)             email:james.ka...@gmail.com
>                    Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitunga

Cann't you see the above posts. People have shared there opinion and
have actually resolved my query. Is it necessary for you to send your
reply. If you are not interested in this topic can't you keep your
mouth shut and let people to discuss who are interested.
Mayank Jain

Alf P. Steinbach

* contactmayankjain@gmail.com -> someone:
> Cann't you see the above posts. People have shared there opinion and
> have actually resolved my query. Is it necessary for you to send your
> reply. If you are not interested in this topic can't you keep your
> mouth shut and let people to discuss who are interested.
> Mayank Jain

This group would become next to useless if people weren't told about off-topicality.

That's why they have to be told.

You posted off-topic, OK for a newbie, but then you were told and yet persist in
maintaining your right to post off-topic, like, insisting on your right to fart
and smoke in a hotel reception after being told to please show some manners, and
telling the concierge "if you're not interested in my farts and smoking, why
can't you keep your mouth shut and let me and my buddies do what we please".

Well, you're *polluting* the group.

Your insistence on doing what you please makes it less attractive to the normal
clientele.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

Gennaro Prota

contactmayankjain@gmail.com wrote:
> Cann't you see the above posts. People have shared there opinion and
> have actually resolved my query. Is it necessary for you to send your
> reply. If you are not interested in this topic can't you keep your
> mouth shut and let people to discuss who are interested.

Have a look at

<http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#fa...

and, *in general*, be familiar with "netiquette". Google for the term.