What are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries?

Camille Cr

I'd like to write a post on the most innovative projects in Ruby. I
think Ruby is interresting for the language itself and also for its
community and it's what I would like to show.
I tought to :
- Sinatra
- Capistrano
- Cucumber
- Shoes
- Whenever

In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries
?

--
Camille Roux
http://www.camil...

Camille Cr

Nice choice...
I didn't know the two last ones.

Whenever is a nice library to generate cron tasks. It can even be used
with Capistrano.
http://github.com/javan/whenever/t...

Luc Heinrich

On 8 mars 09, at 18:21, Camille Roux wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/
> libraries
> ?

- Rack
- Mongrel
- Rake
- FFI
- Threadify

--
Luc Heinrich - luc@honk-honk.com

James Gray

On Mar 8, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Luc Heinrich wrote:

> On 8 mars 09, at 18:21, Camille Roux wrote:
>
>> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/
>> libraries
>> ?
>
> - Rack

Great choice there.

> - Mongrel

Interesting. What part of this do you consider "innovative?" I'm
just curious.

> - FFI

Yeah, another great choice.

> - Threadify

I really like his Slave library, which is along similar lines.

James Edward Gray II

Power One

Camille Roux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to write a post on the most innovative projects in Ruby. I
> think Ruby is interresting for the language itself and also for its
> community and it's what I would like to show.
> I tought to :
> - Sinatra
> - Capistrano
> - Cucumber
> - Shoes
> - Whenever
>
> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries
> ?
>

> --
> Camille Roux
> http://www.camil...

Isn't rail is one of those most innovative Ruby's projects? I'm a noob
in Ruby, but I heard so much about rail, lolz.

James Britt

Camille Roux wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries

Nitro
Rack
Rake
Monkeybars
open-uri

or something.

--
James Britt

Camille Cr

Power One wrote:
> Isn't rail is one of those most innovative Ruby's projects? I'm a noob
> in Ruby, but I heard so much about rail, lolz.

You're maybe right. Ruby has a very dynamic and powerfull community, so
there're a lot of innovative projects.
I didn't put Rails in my list for some reasons:
- Rails is composed of some separate projects : Active record, Active
resource, ... are they all innovative?
- Some part of active record are inspirated by WebObjects (from Apple)
- I don't know whether ruby community created new things for Rails or
not
- It's very famous, all rubyist know it. I prefered give less famous
projects

James Gray

On Mar 8, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Camille Roux wrote:

> - Some part of active record are inspirated by WebObjects (from Apple)

Really? I thought it was based on the Active Record pattern described
by Martin Fowler.

James Edward Gray II

rick_2047

@Camille Roux
Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.

On Mar 8, 3:31=A0pm, James Gray <ja...@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Camille Roux wrote:
>
> > - Some part of active record are inspirated by WebObjects (from Apple)
>
> Really? =A0I thought it was based on the Active Record pattern described =
=A0
> by Martin Fowler.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Phlip

> Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
> any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
> its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.

Shoes is indeed the answer to the question "if Rails is so bitchen, why isn't it
on the list of innovative ruby projects?"

Rails can't possibly innovate because it has only one purpose in the world -
linking SQL (a preexisting innovation) to HTML (another preexisting innovation).

Shoes takes the best DSL concepts from Rails, and other good projects, and then
builds a whole new platform that ignores SQL and refutes HTML.

Martin DeMello

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Camille Roux <roux.camille@gmail.com> wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries

Heckle is a pretty good idea that I've not seen elsewhere.
Haml is a nice rethinking of html templating
Halcyon is an interesting take on web service frameworks

and since I seem to have fallen into an alliterative pattern, check
out Hpricot and Hoe too :)

martin