which gcc version

Roger Pack

3/7/2009 12:44:00 AM

Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain ruby
binary?
Thanks!
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger Pack wrote:
> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
> ruby
> binary?

no.

Jeff Schwab

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
>> ruby binary?
>
> no.

I'm curious: Why would someone want to know that?

Roger Pack

Jeff Schwab wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger Pack wrote:
>>> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
>>> ruby binary?
>>
>> no.
>
> I'm curious: Why would someone want to know that?

I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which version
of Ruby was being run :)

Currently I can glean this information from rbconfig:
Ruby VM: ruby [ruby 1.8.6 (2008-07-17 patchlevel 279) [i386-mingw32];-g
-O2]

The -O2 is quite useful [don't want to compare versions that are
compiled with different -O settings and call it fair].. The version of
GCC would also be useful for the same reason.

-=r
[1] http://github.com/acangiano/ruby-benchmark-suite/t...

Eric Hodel

On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46, Roger Pack wrote:
> Jeff Schwab wrote:
>> Eric Hodel wrote:
>>>
>>> no.
>>
>> I'm curious: Why would someone want to know that?
>
> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
> version
> of Ruby was being run :)
>
> Currently I can glean this information from rbconfig:
> Ruby VM: ruby [ruby 1.8.6 (2008-07-17 patchlevel 279) [i386-
> mingw32];-g
> -O2]

You only want the options passed to GCC? They're in rbconfig.rb

Ryan Davis

On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46 , Roger Pack wrote:

> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
> version
> of Ruby was being run

why not build the ruby yourself as part of the benchmark suite? then
"gcc --version" is valid.

Roger Pack

Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46 , Roger Pack wrote:
>
>> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
>> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
>> version
>> of Ruby was being run
>
> why not build the ruby yourself as part of the benchmark suite? then
> "gcc --version" is valid.

Good idea.

re: which options I want. I have the info in rbconfig [parameters] but
I was wondering if ruby knew which version of the compiler was used for
itself somehow :)

-=r