comp.lang.python

Pet Store

George Maggessy

1/8/2008 6:22:00 AM

Hi there,

I'm an experience Java developer trying to learn Python. I just
finished the Python tutorial on python.org and I'm currently reading
the "Learning Python" book. However, if I could find something like a
simple web app with some best practices, such as those famous "Java
Pet Store" apps, I think that would help me to fill up some gaps in my
learning process. Does anybody know any app like that?

Cheers,
George
17 Answers

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:21:53 -0800, George Maggessy wrote:

> I'm an experience Java developer trying to learn Python. I just
> finished the Python tutorial on python.org and I'm currently reading
> the "Learning Python" book. However, if I could find something like a
> simple web app with some best practices, such as those famous "Java
> Pet Store" apps, I think that would help me to fill up some gaps in my
> learning process. Does anybody know any app like that?

Isn't that a web application using Java web frameworks? So you are
looking for a Python web framework with a "Pet Store" tutorial?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Jarek Zgoda

George Maggessy napisa3(a):

> I'm an experience Java developer trying to learn Python. I just
> finished the Python tutorial on python.org and I'm currently reading
> the "Learning Python" book. However, if I could find something like a
> simple web app with some best practices, such as those famous "Java
> Pet Store" apps, I think that would help me to fill up some gaps in my
> learning process. Does anybody know any app like that?

TurboGears and Pylons both have "wiki" tutorials. Django has "poll"
tutorial. There are plenty others on the web.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Skype: jzgoda | GTalk: zgoda@jabber.aster.pl | voice: +48228430101

"We read Knuth so you don't have to." (Tim Peters)

George Maggessy

Yeap. It is. I'm looking for something like that app. Smth that I
could base my future developments on.

On Jan 8, 1:47 am, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:21:53 -0800, George Maggessy wrote:
> > I'm an experience Java developer trying to learn Python. I just
> > finished the Python tutorial on python.org and I'm currently reading
> > the "Learning Python" book. However, if I could find something like a
> > simple web app with some best practices, such as those famous "Java
> > Pet Store" apps, I think that would help me to fill up some gaps in my
> > learning process. Does anybody know any app like that?
>
> Isn't that a web application using Java web frameworks? So you are
> looking for a Python web framework with a "Pet Store" tutorial?
>
> Ciao,
> Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

-On [20080108 19:36], George Maggessy (george.maggessy@gmail.com) wrote:
>Yeap. It is. I'm looking for something like that app. Smth that I
>could base my future developments on.

If you want to go the Ruby on Rails-like road then you have Django, Pylons,
TurboGears, Zope, to name four of the bigger ones.

If you want a basic HTTP handling framework under which you can hang your own
code more easily then you should look at things like Paste, WebOb, CherryPy,
Werkzeug, Twisted and others.

ã?¤ã?§ã?«ã?¼ã?³ ã?©ã?¦ã??ã?­ã??ã?¯ ã?´ã?¡ã?³ ã??ã?« ã?¦ã?§ã?«ã?´ã?§ã?³
http://www.in-n... | http://www.ra...
Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself. -Chinese Proverb

Green Lantern

"SKD" <sherkd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 19, 6:52 am, "DonH" <donlhumphr...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Climate-change denial can be a rewarding hobby. Do you love conspiracy
> theories? Did you fail science at school? Then climate-change denial could
> be for you. It requires no financial outlay and almost no intellectual
> effort. Here are some hints to get started:
> * Deny that you are a denier. You are a sceptic or a realist.
> * If someone claims 97 per cent of researchers are convinced of man-made
> climate change, and no national science body disagrees, blame it on "a
> great
> global-warming swindle".
> * Say that most scientists think as you do.
> * Say that carbon dioxide is plant food.
> * Have a crack at Tim Flannery.
> * Say that it's getting cooler. If someone proves the past decade was the
> hottest in human history, say it's cold today.
> * If anyone demonstrates that you are lying or bonkers, wait a while, then
> troll out the same furphies again.
> * Fallback positions: (a) it is getting warmer, but climate is always
> changing; (b) we can't change the climate because we are weeny humans and
> the sky is really big.
> * The killer argument: "a tax on carbon is a tax on progress". Clean,
> never-ending energy - where's the future in that?
> - Steve Williams, Clifton Springs.
> =================================
> Reproduced here, from "The Age" (14/6)

A good measure of moral ineptitude is one's inability to put greater
good ahead of self interest.
__________________

Such as KRudd throwing a hissy fit every time he sees Julia ?

SKD

On Jun 19, 1:29 pm, "Peter Webb"
<webbfam...@optusnetDIESPAMDIE.com.au> wrote:
> "SKD" <she...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jun 19, 6:52 am, "DonH" <donlhumphr...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

> > Climate-change denial can be a rewarding hobby. Do you love conspiracy
> > theories? Did you fail science at school? Then climate-change denial could
> > be for you. It requires no financial outlay and almost no intellectual
> > effort. Here are some hints to get started:
> > * Deny that you are a denier. You are a sceptic or a realist.
> > * If someone claims 97 per cent of researchers are convinced of man-made
> > climate change, and no national science body disagrees, blame it on "a
> > great
> > global-warming swindle".
> > * Say that most scientists think as you do.
> > * Say that carbon dioxide is plant food.
> > * Have a crack at Tim Flannery.
> > * Say that it's getting cooler. If someone proves the past decade was the
> > hottest in human history, say it's cold today.
> > * If anyone demonstrates that you are lying or bonkers, wait a while, then
> > troll out the same furphies again.
> > * Fallback positions: (a) it is getting warmer, but climate is always
> > changing; (b) we can't change the climate because we are weeny humans and
> > the sky is really big.
> > * The killer argument: "a tax on carbon is a tax on progress". Clean,
> > never-ending energy - where's the future in that?
> > - Steve Williams, Clifton Springs.
> > =================================
> > Reproduced here, from "The Age" (14/6)
>
> A good measure of moral ineptitude is one's inability to put greater
> good ahead of self interest. I have wondered if reverse were to be
> true. That is, climate denying meant being out of pocket. How many
> will still deny it? A big fat zero. If science doesn't convince them,
> they can FO.
>
> _______________________________
> My skepticism about climate "science" has nothing to do with self-interest,
> it has to do with science.

There is nothing more to be said then.

Trevor Wilson

Peter Webb wrote:
> "SKD" <sherkd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 19, 6:52 am, "DonH" <donlhumphr...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>> Climate-change denial can be a rewarding hobby. Do you love
>> conspiracy theories? Did you fail science at school? Then
>> climate-change denial could be for you. It requires no financial
>> outlay and almost no intellectual effort. Here are some hints to get
>> started: * Deny that you are a denier. You are a sceptic or a realist.
>> * If someone claims 97 per cent of researchers are convinced of
>> man-made climate change, and no national science body disagrees,
>> blame it on "a great
>> global-warming swindle".
>> * Say that most scientists think as you do.
>> * Say that carbon dioxide is plant food.
>> * Have a crack at Tim Flannery.
>> * Say that it's getting cooler. If someone proves the past decade
>> was the hottest in human history, say it's cold today.
>> * If anyone demonstrates that you are lying or bonkers, wait a
>> while, then troll out the same furphies again.
>> * Fallback positions: (a) it is getting warmer, but climate is always
>> changing; (b) we can't change the climate because we are weeny
>> humans and the sky is really big.
>> * The killer argument: "a tax on carbon is a tax on progress". Clean,
>> never-ending energy - where's the future in that?
>> - Steve Williams, Clifton Springs.
>> =================================
>> Reproduced here, from "The Age" (14/6)
>
> A good measure of moral ineptitude is one's inability to put greater
> good ahead of self interest. I have wondered if reverse were to be
> true. That is, climate denying meant being out of pocket. How many
> will still deny it? A big fat zero. If science doesn't convince them,
> they can FO.
>
> _______________________________
> My skepticism about climate "science" has nothing to do with
> self-interest, it has to do with science.

**Really? Please submit a page-by-page scientific refutation of the 4th IPCC
report.

Pity the reverse is not
> true; Flannery and many others are paid to be believe in AGW; but I
> am not paid to be skeptical.

**Flannery is not a climatoloist. He relies upon the expertise of
climatologists. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
climatologists? What climatology expertise do YOU have to suggest that YOU
are correct and they are wrong?

That the science has been perverted by
> money is pretty obvious;

**Indeed. I note that Plimer's unpeer-reviewed, completely discredited book
on the topic in now into it's 7th printing. He is making shit-loads of cash
by pandering to fools and idiots like you. For some reason, a bunch of
idiots have decided that a geologist knows more than all the climatologists
and have filled his bank accounts.

I don't see any skeptical scientists getting
> all expenses paid holidays in Cancun, Copenhagen or Bali.

**Of course. Guys like Plimer are making so much money out of publishing
lies, that they can afford first class airline tickets to anywhere on the
planet. Other, like Carter, are paid by the fossil fuel industry to promote
lies. Of course, neither Carter, nor Plimer are climatologists.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Peter Webb

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> Peter Webb wrote:
>> "SKD" <sherkd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Jun 19, 6:52 am, "DonH" <donlhumphr...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>> Climate-change denial can be a rewarding hobby. Do you love
>>> conspiracy theories? Did you fail science at school? Then
>>> climate-change denial could be for you. It requires no financial
>>> outlay and almost no intellectual effort. Here are some hints to get
>>> started: * Deny that you are a denier. You are a sceptic or a realist.
>>> * If someone claims 97 per cent of researchers are convinced of
>>> man-made climate change, and no national science body disagrees,
>>> blame it on "a great
>>> global-warming swindle".
>>> * Say that most scientists think as you do.
>>> * Say that carbon dioxide is plant food.
>>> * Have a crack at Tim Flannery.
>>> * Say that it's getting cooler. If someone proves the past decade
>>> was the hottest in human history, say it's cold today.
>>> * If anyone demonstrates that you are lying or bonkers, wait a
>>> while, then troll out the same furphies again.
>>> * Fallback positions: (a) it is getting warmer, but climate is always
>>> changing; (b) we can't change the climate because we are weeny
>>> humans and the sky is really big.
>>> * The killer argument: "a tax on carbon is a tax on progress". Clean,
>>> never-ending energy - where's the future in that?
>>> - Steve Williams, Clifton Springs.
>>> =================================
>>> Reproduced here, from "The Age" (14/6)
>>
>> A good measure of moral ineptitude is one's inability to put greater
>> good ahead of self interest. I have wondered if reverse were to be
>> true. That is, climate denying meant being out of pocket. How many
>> will still deny it? A big fat zero. If science doesn't convince them,
>> they can FO.
>>
>> _______________________________
>> My skepticism about climate "science" has nothing to do with
>> self-interest, it has to do with science.
>
> **Really? Please submit a page-by-page scientific refutation of the 4th
> IPCC report.

Please send me one million dollars and get your sister to give me a blow
job.

> Pity the reverse is not
>> true; Flannery and many others are paid to be believe in AGW; but I
>> am not paid to be skeptical.
>
> **Flannery is not a climatoloist. He relies upon the expertise of
> climatologists. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
> climatologists? What climatology expertise do YOU have to suggest that YOU
> are correct and they are wrong?

**Flannery is not an astrologer. He relies upon the expertise of
astrologers. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the astrologers?
What astrology expertise do YOU have to suggest that YOU are correct and
they are wrong?

> That the science has been perverted by
>> money is pretty obvious;
>
> **Indeed. I note that Plimer's unpeer-reviewed, completely discredited
> book on the topic in now into it's 7th printing. He is making shit-loads
> of cash by pandering to fools and idiots like you.

So, is he making more money or less out of GW than Flannery?

Did he get free trips to Cancun, Bali and Copenhagen?

> For some reason, a bunch of idiots have decided that a geologist knows
> more than all the climatologists and have filled his bank accounts.

Maybe because AGW is crap, and people want to see alternative theories.

> I don't see any skeptical scientists getting
>> all expenses paid holidays in Cancun, Copenhagen or Bali.
>
> **Of course. Guys like Plimer are making so much money out of publishing
> lies, that they can afford first class airline tickets to anywhere on the
> planet.

Cite?

> Other, like Carter, are paid by the fossil fuel industry to promote lies.
> Of course, neither Carter, nor Plimer are climatologists.

Flannery is paid by the Government to spread AGW theory. Of course, Flannery
is not a climatologist.

> --
> Trevor Wilson
> www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson

Peter Webb wrote:
> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> Peter Webb wrote:
>>> "SKD" <sherkd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> A good measure of moral ineptitude is one's inability to put greater
>>> good ahead of self interest. I have wondered if reverse were to be
>>> true. That is, climate denying meant being out of pocket. How many
>>> will still deny it? A big fat zero. If science doesn't convince
>>> them, they can FO.
>>>
>>> _______________________________
>>> My skepticism about climate "science" has nothing to do with
>>> self-interest, it has to do with science.
>>
>> **Really? Please submit a page-by-page scientific refutation of the
>> 4th IPCC report.
>>

> Please send me one million dollars and get your sister to give me a
> blow job.

**Your inability to refute the science is duly noted. I accept your
admission that you are a fool.

>> Pity the reverse is not
>>> true; Flannery and many others are paid to be believe in AGW; but I
>>> am not paid to be skeptical.
>>
>> **Flannery is not a climatoloist. He relies upon the expertise of
>> climatologists. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
>> climatologists? What climatology expertise do YOU have to suggest
>> that YOU are correct and they are wrong?
>>

> **Flannery is not an astrologer. He relies upon the expertise of
> astrologers. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
> astrologers? What astrology expertise do YOU have to suggest that YOU
> are correct and they are wrong?

**Inability to answer the questions is duly noted. I accept your admission
that you are a fool.

>> That the science has been perverted by
>>> money is pretty obvious;
>>
>> **Indeed. I note that Plimer's unpeer-reviewed, completely
>> discredited book on the topic in now into it's 7th printing. He is
>> making shit-loads of cash by pandering to fools and idiots like you.
>
> So, is he making more money or less out of GW than Flannery?

**That would depend on the deal he has with his publisher. Given the fact
that his book has entered it's 7th printing, I'd guess he is making
shit-loads more than Flannery and shit-loads more than any climatologist.

> Did he get free trips to Cancun, Bali and Copenhagen?

**You'd have to ask him that.

>> For some reason, a bunch of idiots have decided that a geologist
>> knows more than all the climatologists and have filled his bank
>> accounts.
>
> Maybe because AGW is crap, and people want to see alternative
> theories.

**Please submit your page-by-page refutation of the science contained in the
4th IPCC report. Your inability to do so, will expose your ignorance.

>> I don't see any skeptical scientists getting
>>> all expenses paid holidays in Cancun, Copenhagen or Bali.
>>
>> **Of course. Guys like Plimer are making so much money out of
>> publishing lies, that they can afford first class airline tickets to
>> anywhere on the planet.
>
> Cite?

**Plimer's book is into it's 7th printing. That suggests very considerable
sales and very considerable profits for Plimer.

>> Other, like Carter, are paid by the fossil fuel industry to promote
>> lies. Of course, neither Carter, nor Plimer are climatologists.
>>

> Flannery is paid by the Government to spread AGW theory. Of course,
> Flannery is not a climatologist.

**I already told you that. This guy:

http://www.monash.edu.au/alumni/prominent-alumni/greg-...

IS a climatologist. He is one of the people who feeds information to
Flannery. If you feel that Dr Ayers is wrong, you should point that fact out
to him. Send him an email. Print his response here:

---

---

Here is what Dr Ayers said of Prof Plimer (in his response to George Pell):

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/bom-chief-lashes-pell-over-climate-stance-20110222-...

Clearly, you dispute what one of Australia's foremost climatologists tells
us about global warming. What evidence do you have to support your claims?

--

> Peter Webb wrote:
>> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message

>>> **Really? Please submit a page-by-page scientific refutation of the
>>> 4th IPCC report.
>>>

>> Please send me one million dollars and get your sister to give me a
>> blow job.
>
> **Your inability to refute the science is duly noted. I accept your
> admission that you are a fool.

Please submit a page-by-page scientific refutation of Nostradamus.

Your inability to refute the science is duly noted. I accept your admission
that you are a fool.

>>> Pity the reverse is not
>>>
>>> **Flannery is not a climatoloist. He relies upon the expertise of
>>> climatologists. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
>>> climatologists? What climatology expertise do YOU have to suggest
>>> that YOU are correct and they are wrong?
>>>

>> **Flannery is not an astrologer. He relies upon the expertise of
>> astrologers. The real question is this: Why do YOU ignore the
>> astrologers? What astrology expertise do YOU have to suggest that YOU
>> are correct and they are wrong?
>
> **Inability to answer the questions is duly noted. I accept your admission
> that you are a fool.

The evidence I have that they are wrong is that their predictions do not
come true. This is the same sort of evidence that I use to determine that
Astrology is not a valid science; I don't need to know the internals of
climate change modelling to see that it is incorrect, any more than I need
to know the internals of Astrology to see that it doesn't work and is also
incorrect.

>>> That the science has been perverted by
>>>
>>> **Indeed. I note that Plimer's unpeer-reviewed, completely
>>> discredited book on the topic in now into it's 7th printing. He is
>>> making shit-loads of cash by pandering to fools and idiots like you.
>>
>> So, is he making more money or less out of GW than Flannery?
>
> **That would depend on the deal he has with his publisher. Given the fact
> that his book has entered it's 7th printing, I'd guess he is making
> shit-loads more than Flannery and shit-loads more than any climatologist.

Your guess?

So your complaint was that Plimer was making money out of his book, and
therefore his opinions must be wrong (yes, I know this makes no sense, but
it is nevertheless your argument).

Now you concede that in fact lots of AGW scientists are making serious money
out of spruiking AGW, including Flannery. And you have no evidence that
Plimer is even making any more money than Flannery.

Pretty weak argument on your part.

Scisnce isn't settled by looking at which scientists make the most money.

>> Did he get free trips to Cancun, Bali and Copenhagen?
>
> **You'd have to ask him that.

No.

Only believers get free trips. Only believers get paid by the government to
spruik their theories.

>>> For some reason, a bunch of idiots have decided that a geologist
>>> knows more than all the climatologists and have filled his bank
>>> accounts.
>>
>> Maybe because AGW is crap, and people want to see alternative
>> theories.
>
> **Please submit your page-by-page refutation of the science contained in
> the 4th IPCC report. Your inability to do so, will expose your ignorance.

Its not my inability, its just that I couldn't be bothered going through
1,400 pages one by one and critiquing it, for the benefit of a loon on the
internet.

>>> I don't see any skeptical scientists getting
>>>
>>> **Of course. Guys like Plimer are making so much money out of
>>> publishing lies, that they can afford first class airline tickets to
>>> anywhere on the planet.
>>
>> Cite?
>
> **Plimer's book is into it's 7th printing. That suggests very considerable
> sales and very considerable profits for Plimer.

Compared to the money that Flannery is making?

This seems to be your point, that the correct scientific argument is the one
advanced by the poorest scientist. Not how scientific questions are
generally answered, but if you want to use this test then you have to
provide evidence of salary at least.

>>> Other, like Carter, are paid by the fossil fuel industry to promote
>>> lies. Of course, neither Carter, nor Plimer are climatologists.
>>>

>> Flannery is paid by the Government to spread AGW theory. Of course,
>> Flannery is not a climatologist.
>
> **I already told you that. This guy:
>
> http://www.monash.edu.au/alumni/prominent-alumni/greg-...
>
> IS a climatologist. He is one of the people who feeds information to
> Flannery. If you feel that Dr Ayers is wrong, you should point that fact
> out to him.

Why?

Its not my job.

> Send him an email. Print his response here:

What exactly is Ayers supposed to have said that I disagree with?

> ---
>

> ---
>
> Here is what Dr Ayers said of Prof Plimer (in his response to George
> Pell):
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/bom-chief-lashes-pell-over-climate-stance-20110222-...

OK.

> Clearly, you dispute what one of Australia's foremost climatologists tells
> us about global warming.

What does Ayers say that I disagree with exactly, and where does he say it?

> What evidence do you have to support your claims?

What claim? The claim that AGW theory is bullshit?

Simple. It has no predictive ability. Therefore by the scientific method it
isn't a correct scientific theory. Same deal as astrology.