Ruby/Tk version?

Diego Virasoro

2/27/2009 4:52:00 PM

Hello,
what version of Tk does Ruby 1.9.1 uses? And if they are not uptodate,
any plan to bring it to the latest version?

Thank you

Diego
3 Answers

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: Diego Virasoro <Diego.Virasoro@gmail.com>
Subject: Ruby/Tk version?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:54:06 +0900
> what version of Tk does Ruby 1.9.1 uses? And if they are not uptodate,
> any plan to bring it to the latest version?

You'll be able to use any version of Tcl/Tk. If not, it is a bug.
However, you have to use a tcltklib.so which compiled for your Tcl/Tk
libraries.

Ruby/Tk uses YOUR Tcl/Tk libs on YOUR environment.
A tcltklib.so is compatible among the minor versions of Tcl/Tk.
When you used Tcl/Tk8.4.x with Ruby/Tk and update Tcl/Tk to 8.4.y,
your Ruby/Tk will work with Tcl/Tk8.4.y.
If your tcltklib.so is compiled with "--enable-tcltk-stubs"
(see <ruby-src>/ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.

# I'm sorry, but I've not checked Tcl/Tk8.6. I think that it will work.
# But current Ruby/Tk doesn't have wrapper methods for some of new
# features of Tcl/Tk8.6.
# If you want to use such features now, please use Tk.tk_call().

That is the reason of why Ruby/Tk is distributed without Tcl/Tk libs.
You don't need to install a different version of Tcl/Tk for Ruby/Tk only.
You'll be able to use the latest version of Tcl/Tk without waiting
a new Ruby/Tk release.
And you can use Tcl/Tk extensions installed for your Tcl/Tk on Ruby/Tk.
Even if there is no wrapper method for Tcl/Tk functions which you want
to use, you can call the functions with Tk.tk_call() or Tk.ip_eval().
--
Hidetoshi NAGAI (nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)

mdiam

On Mar 6, 2:50 am, Hidetoshi NAGAI <na...@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:

> If your tcltklib.so is compiled with "--enable-tcltk-stubs"
> (see <ruby-src>/ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
> it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.

So is there any argument for not always using
"--enable-tcltk-stubs" ?

-- Maurice

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: mdiam <Maurice.Diamantini@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ruby/Tk version?
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 05:48:27 +0900
> > If your tcltklib.so is compiled with "--enable-tcltk-stubs"
> > (see <ruby-src>/ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
> > it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.
> So is there any argument for not always using
> "--enable-tcltk-stubs" ?

Histrical reason. ;-) A "stub" system is supported Tcl8.1 or later.
And, I think, "disable-stubs" is a little safer than "enable-stubs".
--
Hidetoshi NAGAI (nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)