comp.lang.python

Python's great, in a word

Martin Rinehart

1/7/2008 1:09:00 PM

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.
25 Answers

Pablo Ziliani

MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote:
> Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> completes:
>
> The best thing about Python is _______.

Hi Martin, here is my top three:

1) Fun
2) Simplicity
3) Productivity

Dustan

On Jan 7, 7:09 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
> convinced that
>
> 1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
> language
>
> 2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.
>
> Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> completes:
>
> The best thing about Python is _______.
>
> Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
> "grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Here's a modest list:

Masterly, tops, best obtainable, high-grade, very good, select,
outstanding, exemplary, top-notch, boss, first-rate, crack, smashing,
excelling, prime, skilled, crackerjack, sublime, super, terrific,
peerless, notable, paramount, divine, premium, hand-picked, estimable,
admirable, prize, choice, competent, desirable, attractive, foremost,
to be desired, A-one, top-flight, dandy, incomparable, grade A,
capital, great, dynamite, heavenly, unique, refined, matchless, high-
quality, well-done, A-OK, blue-chip, frontline, sensational, highest,
jim-dandy, splendid, extraordinary, exquisite, superlative, worthy,
masterful, distinguished, magnificent, tiptop, accomplished, all
right, first, first-class, fine, very fine, ace-high, exceptional,
sharp, supreme, marvelous, transcendent, praiseworthy, custom-made,
remarkable, world-class, invaluable, groovy, champion, rare, best,
wonderful, superb, choicest, enticing, top, superfine, commendable,
skillful, neat, striking, distinctive, priceless, sterling, superior,
cool, classy, finest, hot, keen, above par.

alainpoint

On Jan 7, 2:09 pm, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
> convinced that
>
> 1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
> language
>
> 2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.
>
> Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> completes:
>
> The best thing about Python is _______.
>
> Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
> "grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Paraphrasing Steve Jobs but in this context:
PYTHON = a bycycle for the mind

Best regards

Alain

Tim Chase

> The best thing about Python is _______.

+ readable
+ productive
+ mind-fitting

-tkc

Henry Chang

What exactly does it mean "a bycycle for the mind"??

(assuming s/bycycle/bicycle)

On Jan 7, 2008 5:41 AM, alain <alainpoint@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2:09pm, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
> > convinced that
> >
> > 1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
> > language
> >
> > 2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.
> >
> > Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> > completes:
> >
> > The best thing about Python is _______.
> >
> > Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
> > "grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.
>
> Paraphrasing Steve Jobs but in this context:
> PYTHON = a bycycle for the mind
>
> Best regards
>
> Alain

Martin Marcher

MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote:
> The best thing about Python is _______.

it's pythonicness.

--
http://noneisyours.ma...
http://feeds.feedburner.com/N...

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

Paddy

On Jan 7, 1:09 pm, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
> convinced that
>
> 1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
> language
>
> 2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.
>
> Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> completes:
>
> The best thing about Python is _______.
>
> Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
> "grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Concise!
See http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_ar...
For my search!

- Paddy.

George Sakkis

On Jan 7, 8:09 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
> convinced that
>
> 1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
> language
>
> 2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.
>
> Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
> completes:
>
> The best thing about Python is _______.

.... it's a pleasure to write *and* read.
.... it keeps simple things simple and makes hard things doable.
.... it's the language that sucks the least.

George

Dustan

On Jan 7, 11:40 am, Martin Marcher <mar...@marcher.name> wrote:
> it's pythonicness.

"it is pythonicness"???

Martin Marcher

On Monday 07 January 2008 21:25 Dustan wrote:

> On Jan 7, 11:40 am, Martin Marcher <mar...@marcher.name> wrote:
>> it's pythonicness.
>
> "it is pythonicness"???

not all here are native english speakers, but thanks for the correction.
I'll try to keep it in mind.