Problem with new ruby install and openssl.rb (on Ubuntu

Phor Gruber

2/27/2009 2:01:00 AM

ruby-talkers,

I've bumped into an issue with ruby and ssl.

I'm trying to run a rake command which aborts because it cannot find
openssl.rb.

I followed these steps:

- mkdir /rho; chown phor /rho
- wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.7-p...
- tar jxf ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.bz2
- cd ruby-1.8.7-p72
- vi ext/Setup and uncomment these lines:
bigdecimal
curses
digest
digest/md5
digest/rmd160
digest/sha1
digest/sha2
iconv
openssl
readline
socket
strscan
thread
zlib

- ./configure --prefix=/rho
- make
- make install
- create a 1-line file (in /rho/.rho) and then dot-it: export
PATH=/rho/bin:${PATH}:.

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/ruby -v

Next, I installed gems:

- wget gems: wget
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/45905/rubygems...
- tar zxf rubygems-1.3.1.tgz
- cd rubygems-1.3.1; ruby setup.rb --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/gem -v
1.3.1

Next, I installed rails:

gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/rails -v
Rails 2.2.2

Next, I did this:

$ gem install rspec-rails rake --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.2.2)
actionpack (2.2.2)
activerecord (2.2.2)
activeresource (2.2.2)
activesupport (2.2.2)
rails (2.2.2)
rake (0.8.3)
rspec (1.1.12)
rspec-rails (1.1.12)

Next, I did this:

cd ~/software/
git clone git://github.com/rhomobile/rhosync.git
mkdir log; touch log/development.log
/rho/bin/rake gems:install

I saw this:

(in /phor/software/rhosync)
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- openssl

To me,
It looks like openssl.rb is missing somewhere.

I assume it should be under /rho which is where I installed ruby.

I'm on ubuntu-linux and I do see openssl development packages inside of
my OS:

$ apt-cache search libssl
cl-plus-ssl - A simple Common Lisp interface to OpenSSL
dcmtk - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit command line utilities
libdcmtk1 - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit runtime libraries
libdcmtk1-dev - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit development libraries and
headers
libssl-ocaml - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
libssl-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
libssl-dev - SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
libssl0.9.8 - SSL shared libraries
libssl0.9.8-dbg - Symbol tables for libssl and libcrypto

Also, I see this:

$ apt-cache search libopenssl-ruby
libopenssl-ruby - OpenSSL interface for Ruby
libopenssl-ruby1.9 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.9
ruby1.8 - Interpreter of object-oriented scripting language Ruby 1.8
libopenssl-ruby1.8 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.8

Clues anyone?

barb

Anonology wrote:
> On Mar 20, 5:57 am, "JAFAW" <a...@anon.net> wrote:
>> <wheaths...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> This Thursday there is going to be a Lecture and following the lecture
>>> a Q&A with Scientologist Dr. Lee Sheldon at Rollins College in Winter
>>> Park, Florida. The basis of the lecture is to give religious skeptics
>>> information about Scientology.
>>> Many Floridafags are going to this lecture, and are trying to prepare
>>> a list of questions to ask him.
>>> We need questions? What do you think should be asked?
>> Today? What time?
>>
>> Is this being discussed on enturb or somewhere? Linkypoos?
>
> um, danger will robinson, danger... the audience is going to be
> stocked with scientology supporters who will attempt to denounce and
> ridicule anyone who has anything bad to say about scientology... I
> suspect this event is scientology's way of identifying critics who
> live nearby their new plant city org... i would suggest not attending
> the event but if possible get a group together to distribute flyers/
> picket the event under cover of anonymity...

Oh, pooh! If you don't challenge, they will have a clear playing field
in which to spew their happy PR without opposition.

If you wanna go in, go in. Fliering is a good idea too. Do both. Pincer
movement. On the beaches...in the skies...

--
Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)

?I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
so long as we don?t step over the line. When religious worship and
belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
appropriate.?

--Robert Goff
Professor Emeritus, UCSC

Anonology

On Mar 20, 12:45 pm, barb <xenub...@netscape.net> wrote:
> Anonology wrote:
> > On Mar 20, 5:57 am, "JAFAW" <a...@anon.net> wrote:
> >> <wheaths...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> >> Today? What time?
>
> >> Is this being discussed on enturb or somewhere? Linkypoos?
>
> > um, danger will robinson, danger... the audience is going to be
> > stocked with scientology supporters who will attempt to denounce and
> > ridicule anyone who has anything bad to say about scientology... I
> > suspect this event is scientology's way of identifying critics who
> > live nearby their new plant city org... i would suggest not attending
> > the event but if possible get a group together to distribute flyers/
> > picket the event under cover of anonymity...
>
> Oh, pooh! If you don't challenge, they will have a clear playing field
> in which to spew their happy PR without opposition.
>
> If you wanna go in, go in. Fliering is a good idea too. Do both. Pincer
> movement. On the beaches...in the skies...
>
> --
> Barb
> Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
> I can haz Legion?
>
> "I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
> so long as we don't step over the line. When religious worship and
> belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
> the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
> appropriate."
>
> --Robert Goff
> Professor Emeritus, UCSC- Hide quoted text -

Here's a few good questions to bring up...

1 What health benefits will scientology bring?
2 Can scientology cure epilepsy?
3 Can scientology cure diabetes?
4 Can scientology cure depression?

5 Can members of Law Enforcement join scientology?
6 Can practicing psychiatrists join Scientology?

I'm still convinced that the main purpose for this meeting is for
scientology to identify potential troublemakers... I can see no other
reason for it. It isn't for recruiting... they use Stress tests and
personality tests for that...

barb

Anonology wrote:
> On Mar 20, 12:45 pm, barb <xenub...@netscape.net> wrote:
>> Anonology wrote:
>>> um, danger will robinson, danger... the audience is going to be
>>> stocked with scientology supporters who will attempt to denounce and
>>> ridicule anyone who has anything bad to say about scientology... I
>>> suspect this event is scientology's way of identifying critics who
>>> live nearby their new plant city org... i would suggest not attending
>>> the event but if possible get a group together to distribute flyers/
>>> picket the event under cover of anonymity...
>> Oh, pooh! If you don't challenge, they will have a clear playing field
>> in which to spew their happy PR without opposition.
>>
>> If you wanna go in, go in. Fliering is a good idea too. Do both. Pincer
>> movement. On the beaches...in the skies...
>>
>> --
>> Barb
>> Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
>> I can haz Legion?
>>
>> "I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
>> so long as we don't step over the line. When religious worship and
>> belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
>> the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
>> appropriate."
>>
>> --Robert Goff
>> Professor Emeritus, UCSC- Hide quoted text -

> Here's a few good questions to bring up...
>
> 1 What health benefits will scientology bring?
> 2 Can scientology cure epilepsy?
> 3 Can scientology cure diabetes?
> 4 Can scientology cure depression?
>
> 5 Can members of Law Enforcement join scientology?
> 6 Can practicing psychiatrists join Scientology?
>
> I'm still convinced that the main purpose for this meeting is for
> scientology to identify potential troublemakers... I can see no other
> reason for it. It isn't for recruiting... they use Stress tests and
> personality tests for that...

They've done this before. It's merely a feeble attempt to counteract all
the negative publicity raining down on their heads these days. The talk
will be nothing more than a big PR event, trying to convince people that
they really are beneficial, not an evil cult, nope, we Help People, etc.

--
Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
I can haz Legion?

?I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
so long as we don?t step over the line. When religious worship and
belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
appropriate.?

--Robert Goff
Professor Emeritus, UCSC

seven.anonymous

On Mar 20, 3:55 pm, barb <xenub...@netscape.net> wrote:
> Anonology wrote:
> >> Oh, pooh! If you don't challenge, they will have a clear playing field
> >> in which to spew their happy PR without opposition.
>
> >> If you wanna go in, go in. Fliering is a good idea too. Do both. Pincer
> >> movement. On the beaches...in the skies...
>
> >> --
> >> Barb
> >> Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
> >> I can haz Legion?
>
> >> "I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
> >> so long as we don't step over the line. When religious worship and
> >> belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
> >> the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
> >> appropriate."
>
> >> --Robert Goff
> >> Professor Emeritus, UCSC- Hide quoted text -

> > Here's a few good questions to bring up...
>
> > 1 What health benefits will scientology bring?
> > 2 Can scientology cure epilepsy?
> > 3 Can scientology cure diabetes?
> > 4 Can scientology cure depression?
>
> > 5 Can members of Law Enforcement join scientology?
> > 6 Can practicing psychiatrists join Scientology?
>
> > I'm still convinced that the main purpose for this meeting is for
> > scientology to identify potential troublemakers... I can see no other
> > reason for it. It isn't for recruiting... they use Stress tests and
> > personality tests for that...
>
> They've done this before. It's merely a feeble attempt to counteract all
> the negative publicity raining down on their heads these days. The talk
> will be nothing more than a big PR event, trying to convince people that
> they really are beneficial, not an evil cult, nope, we Help People, etc.
>
> --
> Barb
> Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
> I can haz Legion?
>
> "I think that the protections that we enjoy for freedom of worship exist
> so long as we don't step over the line. When religious worship and
> belief cross over into things like fraud, victimization of others and
> the disruption of the political arena, that protection is no longer
> appropriate."
>
> --Robert Goff
> Professor Emeritus, UCSC

Where at Rollins is this? Enturb forums aren't working again and I'm
not down with showing up at the secret location and wearing a suit and
mask that I don't have. I'd like to attend though, just to watch.

Justin Collins

Phor Gruber wrote:
> ruby-talkers,
>
> I've bumped into an issue with ruby and ssl.
>
> I'm trying to run a rake command which aborts because it cannot find
> openssl.rb.

<snip>

Try going to your ruby-1.8.7-p72/ext/zlib/ directory, then run:

ruby extconf.rb

If that succeeds, then:

make
make install

> I'm on ubuntu-linux and I do see openssl development packages inside of
> my OS:
>
> $ apt-cache search libssl
> cl-plus-ssl - A simple Common Lisp interface to OpenSSL
> dcmtk - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit command line utilities
> libdcmtk1 - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit runtime libraries
> libdcmtk1-dev - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit development libraries and
> headers
> libssl-ocaml - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
> libssl-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
> libssl-dev - SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
> libssl0.9.8 - SSL shared libraries
> libssl0.9.8-dbg - Symbol tables for libssl and libcrypto
>
> Also, I see this:
>
> $ apt-cache search libopenssl-ruby
> libopenssl-ruby - OpenSSL interface for Ruby
> libopenssl-ruby1.9 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.9
> ruby1.8 - Interpreter of object-oriented scripting language Ruby 1.8
> libopenssl-ruby1.8 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.8
>
> Clues anyone?

Did you install Ruby via apt-get and by compiling it from the source?
Maybe you ended up with parallel versions?

-Justin

Eric Hodel

On Feb 26, 2009, at 18:00, Phor Gruber wrote:
> Next, I did this:
>
> cd ~/software/
> git clone git://github.com/rhomobile/rhosync.git
> mkdir log; touch log/development.log
> /rho/bin/rake gems:install
>
> I saw this:
>
> (in /phor/software/rhosync)
> rake aborted!
> no such file to load -- openssl
>
> To me,
> It looks like openssl.rb is missing somewhere.

Firstoff, does `/rho/bin/ruby -ropenssl -e0` work?

If it doesn't go back to the ruby source you built from and check ext/
openssl/mkmf.log

If you have openssl, are you sure that the Rakefile in this step is
running files under /rho/bin?

Also, I don't see output for rake --trace gems:install, it may give
you an answer to your problem.

Phor Gruber

Justin Collins wrote:

> Did you install Ruby via apt-get and by compiling it from the source?
> Maybe you ended up with parallel versions?
>
> -Justin

Justin,

Yes, I am trying to install a parallel version.
The 2nd version is from source.

-Phor

Phor Gruber

Eric Hodel wrote:
> Firstoff, does `/rho/bin/ruby -ropenssl -e0` work?

No it does not work.

I cannot find openssl.rb anywhere under /rho

-Phor

Ryan Davis

as eric said:

> If it doesn't[, then] go back to the ruby source you built from and
> check ext/openssl/mkmf.log

that'll have all the relevant info you need.

Phor Gruber

Eric Hodel wrote:
> If it doesn't go back to the ruby source you built from and check ext/
> openssl/mkmf.log

Eric,

I think you offer a good clue.

ext/openssl/mkmf.log is large so I will not post it here.

The first line inside of it looks interesting:

have_library: checking for t_open() in -lnsl... -------------------- no

I'm not a C programmer but it looks like the "no" at the end of the line
is telling me that something is missing.

Also the last line in the log file says this:

package configuration for openssl is not found

It's obvious that I need to help configure and/or make find the package
configuration for openssl.

Perhaps configure has a command line option that says all the libraries
are under /usr?

So it looks like I have 2 problems:
1. t_open in -lnsl ... no
2. configure does not know that openssl is where apt-get put it (under
/usr).

Anyone out there compile ruby from source and have openssl.rb get
created?

-Phor