comp.lang.python

Re: Memory Leaks and Heapy

Yaakov Nemoy

1/5/2008 2:19:00 AM

On Jan 4, 2008 11:56 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal@egenix.com> wrote:
> > The most common answer I heard was possible fragmentation, meaning
> > there are no or few completely empty blocks to be found. If there are
> > no 'leaks' in the VM, then it's probably related to how memory is
> > freed.
>
> You can check for this by using a special build of Python
> with disabled PyMalloc - Python will then use the standard
> OS malloc for all object allocations. It still uses free lists
> for a couple of object types, but those won't cause major
> leak problems.

How do I go about setting this up?

> Alternatively, try to tune the PyMalloc implementation (see
> objmalloc.c), e.g. enable WITH_MEMORY_LIMITS.
>
> >> This could be caused by interned strings which are kept in a special
> >> pool dictionary to speed up string comparisons.
> >
> > That's quite possible, a majority of the code is a huge number of SQL
> > connections and code. All string based.
>
> Note that strings are normally *not* interned. However, you can
> write code in a way that causes Python to intern more strings
> than needed, e.g. if you dynamically compile code in your app,
> which then causes all identifiers in the compiled code to be
> interned.
>
> The interned dictionary is not exposed in Python, but you can
> access it using a debugger via Objects/stringobject.c:interned.

That's going a bit more low level detail than I think I can handle.
I'm not much for C programming, and i'll have a hard time sifting
through the noise to find the signal.

> >> However, the first thing to check is whether any of the C extension
> >> modules you are using is leaking memory. Python itself is usually
> >> well tested for memory leaks, but this is less so for C extension
> >> modules and it's easy to mis a few Py_DECREFs (decrementing a
> >> Python object's reference count), causing objects to live forever.
> >
> > I'll try to track it down, but AFAIK, most of the code is python, and
> > the only C code there would be is the MySQL container. How can I
> > debug the VM though, to determine where the leak lies? Heapy wasn't
> > able to tell me this, and this is the important aspect. I'm wondering
> > how most people go about determining the causes of leaks like these,
> > so I can provide some accurate bug information.
>
> Building Python in debug mode provides some help with this.
> You can then detect whether objects get properly freed.

Again, what's the best way to go about doing this?

> Doing explicit garbage collection via the gc module also
> helps in narrowing down the leak.

Adding an explicit gc.collect() statement at the end of the offending
function didn't do much to solve matters much. It slowed the rate
that garbage piled up, but it's not a solution.

Thanks for all the help.
3 Answers

Raymond

On May 30, 10:04 am, greg <egorovm...@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > religious and cultural reforms. What Gandhi attempted to drill into
> > Indians through living a life of action was a change in our culture of
> > lethargy and dependence. Gandhi stressed physical self-sufficiency,
> > and even cleaned his toilet out himself.
>
> > But he wasn’t successful in making us change, and most Indians will
> > not associate Gandhi with physical self-sufficiency though that was
> > his principal message. Indian men do no work around the house. Middle
> > class women do little, especially after childbirth. Many cook, but the
> > cutting and cleaning is done by the servant. Slim in their teens, they
> > turn thick-waisted in their 20s, within a few years of marriage.
>
> > Since we are dependent on other people, we have less control over
> > events. The Indian is under stress and is anxious. This is bad for his
> > health. He must be on constant guard against the world, which takes
> > advantage of him: the servant’s perfidy, encroachment by his
> > neighbours, cars cutting in front of him in traffic, the vendor’s rate
> > that must be haggled down. Almost nothing is orderly and everything
> > must be worried about.
>
> > In the Indian office, the payroll is a secret, and nobody is told what
> > the other makes. Knowledge causes great stress, though the lack of
> > information is also stressful, leading to spy games and office gossip.
>
> > Because there is no individualism in India, merit comes from seniority
> > and the talented but young executive is stressed by the knowledge that
> > he’s not holding the position he deserves. Indians are peerless
> > detectors of social standing and the vertical hierarchy of the Indian
> > office is sacrosanct.
>
> > Dennis Kux pointed out that Indian diplomats do not engage officially
> > with an American of lower rank, even if the American was authorised to
> > decide the matter. In the last decade, when Indians began owning
> > companies abroad, the Wall Street Journal reported on cultural
> > problems that arose. Their foreign employees learnt quickly that
> > saying ‘no’ would cause their Indian bosses great offence, so they
> > learnt to communicate with them as with children.
>
> > Indians shine in the west where their culture doesn’t hold them back.
> > In India honour is high and the individual is alert to slights from
> > those below him, which discomfort him greatly. There is no culture of ....
>
> > read more »
>
> Try Wyckoff Hospital in Brooklyn NY.
> Half of the Doctors and Stuff are Indians. They are no better then any
> Americans and they are not making less money then American Doctors.
> They bring their own friends from India to occupy  opened positions in
> the Hospital.
> The Head of the Hospital is an Indian who hired only Indians.
> You wander where American Doctors will work?, they will probably go to
> India.
> That’s American Wild Capitalism, where Politicians spit on the people.
> Outsourcing? …Look at the Germans, these Guys will never outsource any

Wyckoff: Greenbook electives

I just finished Anesthesiology at Wyckoff in October 08, and I was
concerned about the greenbook issue.

I spoke to Julius Romero who is Assistant Vice President of Medical
Education and he indicated that Anesthesiology falls under the
"umbrella" of their greenbook Surgery core. I think virtually all
electives at Wyckoff are greenbook by "umbrella". Apparently this
greenbook by "umbrella" thing is fine for licensure in New York,
however, some states like Texas require rotations that are greenbook
by specialty; in that case a rotation at Wyckoff is no good.

FYI, Anesthesiology at Wyckoff is an okay rotation. It's a long day,
7:00 a.m. to about 4:00 p.m., but no call, and no weekends. You do the
anesthesia pre-op paperwork on patients and start their caths. You
then help move the patient to OR, set them up on the table, connect
the monitors, and then watch as the MD or CRNA does the induction/
maintenance/emergence of anesthesia. They're usually pretty goood
about explaining the details to you if you're polite, introduce
yourself, and help them out with the patients/paperwork. If you ask,
by the end of the rotation they may let you intubate a patient or two.

The Chairman, Dr. Raggi, is a nice guy, but tough. Because new
students are coming in every 2 weeks, he doesn't remember who just
started, and who has been around awhile. He expects you to know
everything about anesthesiology on the first day (the drugs, the
anesthesia machine, intubation techniques). There's no lecture,
instead one student presents a topic every day (you're required to do
one per week) during which Dr. Raggi will pimp you on the details. If
you take this rotation, or Anesthesiology at any hospital I HIGHLY
RECOMMEND reading NMS Anesthesiology the weekend before. It's only 185
pages and it goes into the perfect amount of detail for a medical
student, and reinforces a lot of stuff that appears on Step 2. It's a
great little book. Like I said, Dr. Raggi is tough, but his constant
pimping and high expectations force you to learn a great deal in a
short amount of time. Like all rotations at Wyckoff, this is one that
you can either hide out in the library and learn nothing, and end up
with a B, or be the first to arrive, work a little harder, show some
interest, and end up with an A.

Good luck! ya?
Bigguy
http://www.valuemd.com/saba-university-clinical-forum/120722-wyckoff-hospital-brooklyn...

Raymond

On May 30, 1:08 pm, Raymond <Bluerhy...@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
> anesthesia machine, intubation techniques). There's no lecture,
> instead one student presents a topic every day (you're required to do
> one per week) during which Dr. Raggi will pimp you on the details. If
> you take this rotation, or Anesthesiology at any hospital I HIGHLY
> RECOMMEND reading NMS Anesthesiology the weekend before. It's only 185
> pages and it goes into the perfect amount of detail for a medical
> student, and reinforces a lot of stuff that appears on Step 2. It's a
> great little book. Like I said, Dr. Raggi is tough, but his constant
> pimping and high expectations force you to learn a great deal in a
> short amount of time. Like all rotations at Wyckoff, this is one that
> you can either hide out in the library and learn nothing, and end up
> with a B, or be the first to arrive, work a little harder, show some

The holy dip in river Ganges is some thing that no Hindu ever wants to
miss. It is believed that after taking a bath in the Ganges one
becomes sacred and innocent as a new-born child. But belief is just a
belief. The Ganges is now so polluted that taking bath or even just a
dip is quite dangerous. Indians eat their own shit. I have smelled the
river before 70 million people have bathed in it; I have no desire to
be anywhere near it afterwards. UGH ! Is your doctor a Ganges bather?

Send them all home where they can shit in their own river.

http://www.zimbio.com/India+Investing/articles/29/Khumb+Mela+India+60+million+Filthy+Na...

greg

On May 30, 1:20 pm, Raymond <Bluerhy...@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > you can either hide out in the library and learn nothing, and end up
> > with a B, or be the first to arrive, work a little harder, show some
> > interest, and end up with an A.
>
> > Good luck! ya?
> > Bigguyhttp://www.valuemd.com/saba-university-clinical-forum/12072......
>
> The holy dip in river Ganges is some thing that no Hindu ever wants to
> miss. It is believed that after taking a bath in the Ganges one
> becomes sacred and innocent as a new-born child. But belief is just a
> belief. The Ganges is now so polluted that taking bath or even just a
> dip is quite dangerous. Indians eat their own shit. I have smelled the
> river before 70 million people have bathed in it; I have no desire to
> be anywhere near it afterwards. UGH !  Is your doctor a Ganges bather?
>
> Send them all home where they can shit in their own river.

We Americans have nothing against Indian Rivers or Indians themselves.
One thing we don’t like to see is being outsourced by Indians who are
not better then Americans. Their language sucks cannot understand the
English they talk
But they are nice guys, I like them
I don’t like to be outsourced by someone mediocre from overseas and
get the same salary like me.

Dig?