Religious discussion

Julian Leviston

2/25/2009 10:20:00 PM

Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a
good way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about
religion on this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.

Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think
about our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and
especially if it's on-topic.

Blog: http://random8.ze...
Learn rails: http://sensei.ze...

8 Answers

Kyle Schmitt

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
>
> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
> on-topic.
>
> Blog: http://random8.ze...
> Learn rails: http://sensei.ze...

But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
OO vs functional?

;)

Vladimir Fekete

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:12:26AM +0900, Kyle Schmitt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
> > way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
> > this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
> >
> > Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
> > our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
> > on-topic.
> >
> > Blog: http://random8.ze...
> > Learn rails: http://sensei.ze...
>
> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

maybe he had in mind that it is not appropriate for this mailing list and
for such high philosophic problems another mailing list should be created

:)

> ;)

pat eyler

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au> wrote:
>> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
>> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
>> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
>>
>> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
>> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
>> on-topic.
>>
>> Blog: http://random8.ze...
>> Learn rails: http://sensei.ze...
>
> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

emacs vs vi(m)?

--
thanks,
-pate

pat eyler

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
>>
>> emacs vs vi(m)?
>
> Only the emacs side is religious:
>
> =A0http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham...
>
> The vi side is a gang:
>
> =A0http://www.homebrew.n...
>
> /me throws the vi gang sign.

and I know that someday you'll repent.

;^)

> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.ap... ]
> Quoth McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't
> waste your time waving your hands and hopping when a rock or a club will
> do."

--=20
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.bl...
http://eldersjournal.bl...

dustin b

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:37:54AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
> wrote:

> > > Only the emacs side is religious:
> > >
> > > http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham...
> > >
> > > The vi side is a gang:
> > >
> > > http://www.homebrew.n...
> > >
> > > /me throws the vi gang sign.
> >
> > and I know that someday you'll repent.
>
> I'm editor-agnostic. Well, technically, I guess I'm more of an
> editor-taoist. Editaoist? Anyway, the upshot is that I can see how your
> religious interpretation is a valid perspective on reality, even if it is
> kind of limited.
>
> After all, emacs is a halfway decent OS. Some people claim it lacks a
> decent editor, but I disagree -- Viper is an excellent editor.
>
> What it *does* lack is a decent bootloader.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.ap... ]
> Quoth Anonymous: "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator
> of human intelligence."

I always thought Pico was a great editor.
Also "Git sucks" ...please don't hurt me!! (
http://www.netsplit.com/2009/02/17/...)

Joel VanderWerf

pat eyler wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
>>> emacs vs vi(m)?
>> Only the emacs side is religious:
>>
>> http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham...
>>
>> The vi side is a gang:
>>
>> http://www.homebrew.n...
>>
>> /me throws the vi gang sign.
>
> and I know that someday you'll repent.

Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
tolerance and hope. ;)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/...

Tom Cloyd

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 08:49:42AM +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>
>> Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
>> tolerance and hope. ;)
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/...
>>

> I'm willing to be convinced, if there's reason for it. What's so great
> about NEdit?

Suggest you don't bother. I've looked at a great many editors, and tried
many of them. None have bested jEdit

http://en.wikipedia.org/...

http://www....

It's flexibility, ease of use, vast world of adaptive plugins simply
beats out the competition.

I do all my ruby editing in it, runnng ruby scripts in the console tab,
if desired.

Currently I have have 4 separate jEdit windows open, each with a
different cluster of files visible (although all are accessible from
each instance). When I want to, I can edit, and even play, my Lilypond
music score scripts in jEdit (really, really cool). I would jump to
another editor in a flash if I ever saw one better, but it simply hasn't
happened.

jEdit is a java program, and runs anywhere. I'm running mine on Kubuntu
Linux 8.10

Enjoy...

Tom

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)

Buster Norris

On Sun, 30 May 2010 07:44:30 -0500, "Supertech" <ejeong1@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Buster Norris" <Buster@Buster.Com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:06:53 GMT, usenet@mantra.com and/or
>> www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:
>>
>>>Nobody wants a brawl with Pyongyang
>>

>> Nuke 'em.
>>
>> Small nuke, fry the capital, problem solved.
>
>I wish they nuke your thick skull first.

Fuck off North Korean zipperhead shiteating ratfuck fish head