comp.lang.python

Re: Fortran to Python

Robert Kern

1/4/2008 10:21:00 PM

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> I got someone who asked me to make changes in an old Fortran program she is
> using for some calculations.
> The calculations are pretty standard aside from 2 calls to DLINCG (an IMSL
> numerical_libraries function to calculate an inverse matrix).
>
> What I wonder about, does anybody have a Fortran to Python conversion page
> somewhere to map some of the basic types to Python equivalents?
> What kind of speed difference should I expect?

Fairly large, if you insist on avoiding numpy. However, if your inputs are small
enough, it may not matter a whole lot.

You may want to use Raymond Hettinger's Matfunc.py module to implement the
inverse matrices (or preferably, reformulate the problem to use a solver instead
of inverting matrices explicitly):

http://users.rcn.com/python/download/...

--
Robert Kern