Standard error redirection in backquote notation

Vincent Lambert

2/25/2009 5:23:00 PM

Hello,

We want to capture all the output of an external program that we call
from ruby. We use a custom function that sends the command to the system
using the backquote notation. 2>&1 is appended at the end of the command
line to capture the standard error (which is very important to us). When
we add 2>&1, we get the following error messages : 'c:\Program' is not
recognized as an internal or external command. Note that we get this
error even when the command is surrounded by quotes.

Do you have any idea how to get around this problem ?
We are using Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent Lambert
XML Programmer
Matrox Imaging

3 Answers

cindys

On Apr 7, 5:29 am, Fred Goldstein <fg...@ionaryQRM.invalid> wrote:
snip

>  Sure, some
> modernity-defying tribal peoples, from Afghanistan to Brooklyn, marry
> young, especially the women, and expect them to have lots of babies and
> frankly not much more.

snip
-----
Presumably you are posting to this group because you want to
participate in conversation, but every time you post, you apparently
feel compelled to make snarky remarks about "modernity-defying tribal
peoples."

You may have had some really interesting things to say in the
remainder of your post that could have segued into a really nice
thread, but speaking for myself, every time I read one of your posts
(which invariably includes anti-Orthodox mudslinging), I just want to
put you in the killfile. Sorry to break it to you, but some of the
regulars on this group are Orthodox Jews. A person does not have to be
a charedi Jew to find these kind of remarks a big turnoff.

I'm not sure what you think you are accomplishing with your arbitrary
mud-slinging, but I don't know of any other posters to this group who
habitually incorporate rightwing Orthodox slams into every single post
just for the sake of it. This thread is about undergrads at Princeton
not Orthodox Jews.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Malcolm McLean

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:46:17 PM UTC+1, cindys wrote:
> On Apr 7, 5:29 am, Fred Goldstein <fg...@ionaryQRM.invalid> wrote:
>
> Presumably you are posting to this group because you want to
> participate in conversation, but every time you post, you apparently
> feel compelled to make snarky remarks about "modernity-defying tribal
> peoples."

It's not even accurate. One of my criticisms of the extremely observant
groups is that they are very modern, both in tone and in terms of
chronological development of customs. The phrase "ultra-orthodox" (a
silly one) wouldn't have had much meaning pre-20th century.

Yisroel Markov

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:20:51 +0000 (UTC),
malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com said:

>On Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:46:17 PM UTC+1, cindys wrote:
>> On Apr 7, 5:29?am, Fred Goldstein <fg...@ionaryQRM.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Presumably you are posting to this group because you want to
>> participate in conversation, but every time you post, you apparently
>> feel compelled to make snarky remarks about "modernity-defying tribal
>> peoples."
>>
>It's not even accurate. One of my criticisms of the extremely observant
>groups is that they are very modern, both in tone and in terms of
>chronological development of customs. The phrase "ultra-orthodox" (a
>silly one) wouldn't have had much meaning pre-20th century.

I agree, but that's not how they view themselves, so perhaps it's
valid to call them this, on their own terms.
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC