how to install wxruby2 offline

vaibhav kadian

2/23/2009 9:40:00 AM

Hi

This might not be the right question to ask at such a high tech group
but as i want to learn it, i have to ask it somewhere.

I have ruby 1.8.6 patch 111 and gem 1.0.1

now i want wxruby2 but as the 'gem install wxruby2' tries to install
from http://rub..., it timed out.
I can see the files on http://rub.../frs/?group_id=35. Can i
download the tar files and install it locally?
How? because i dont want to leave it to network to do it.......i know
it sound wierd but i can download the files but unable to install.

Need a way to install offline using a file wxruby2 and wxsugar
5 Answers

Stefano Crocco

Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> This might not be the right question to ask at such a high tech group
> but as i want to learn it, i have to ask it somewhere.
>
> I have ruby 1.8.6 patch 111 and gem 1.0.1
>
> now i want wxruby2 but as the 'gem install wxruby2' tries to install
> from http://rub..., it timed out.
> I can see the files on http://rub.../frs/?group_id=35. Can i
> download the tar files and install it locally?
> How? because i dont want to leave it to network to do it.......i know
> it sound wierd but i can download the files but unable to install.
>
> Need a way to install offline using a file wxruby2 and wxsugar

Yes, you can. Simply, give gem the path of the file you downloaded, instead of
just the gem name:

gem install /path/to/downloaded/wxruby-something.gem

I hope this helps

Stefano

vaibhav kadian

On Feb 23, 2:50 pm, Stefano Crocco <stefano.cro...@alice.it> wrote:
> Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:
>
> > Hi
>
> > This might not be the right question to ask at such a high tech group
> > but as i want to learn it, i have to ask it somewhere.
>
> > I have ruby 1.8.6 patch 111 and gem 1.0.1
>
> > now i want wxruby2 but as the 'gem install wxruby2' tries to install
> > fromhttp://rub..., it timed out.
> > I can see the files onhttp://rub.../frs/?group_id=35. Can i
> > download the tar files and install it locally?
> > How? because i dont want to leave it to network to do it.......i know
> > it sound wierd but i can download the files but unable to install.
>
> > Need a way to install offline using a file wxruby2 and wxsugar
>
> Yes, you can. Simply, give gem the path of the file you downloaded, instead of
> just the gem name:
>
> gem install /path/to/downloaded/wxruby-something.gem
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Stefano

dont you think .gem files try to download it from rubyforge.org, which
is what i dont want
i want a complete set locally. after which i'll disconnet from web and
install

Thanks

vaibhav kadian

On Feb 23, 3:15 pm, vaibhav kadian <kadyan.vaib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2:50 pm, Stefano Crocco <stefano.cro...@alice.it> wrote:
>

> > Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:
>
> > > Hi
>
> > > This might not be the right question to ask at such a high tech group
> > > but as i want to learn it, i have to ask it somewhere.
>
> > > I have ruby 1.8.6 patch 111 and gem 1.0.1
>
> > > now i want wxruby2 but as the 'gem install wxruby2' tries to install
> > > fromhttp://rub..., it timed out.
> > > I can see the files onhttp://rub.../frs/?group_id=35. Can i
> > > download the tar files and install it locally?
> > > How? because i dont want to leave it to network to do it.......i know
> > > it sound wierd but i can download the files but unable to install.
>
> > > Need a way to install offline using a file wxruby2 and wxsugar
>
> > Yes, you can. Simply, give gem the path of the file you downloaded, instead of
> > just the gem name:
>
> > gem install /path/to/downloaded/wxruby-something.gem
>
> > I hope this helps
>
> > Stefano
>
> dont you think .gem files try to download it from rubyforge.org, which
> is what i dont want
> i want a complete set locally. after which i'll disconnet from web and
> install
>
> Thanks

BTW even giving gem install wsxruby.tar.gz isnt' working .......its
looking at http://gems.rug... for files

Stefano Crocco

Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:
> On Feb 23, 2:50 pm, Stefano Crocco <stefano.cro...@alice.it> wrote:
> > Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > This might not be the right question to ask at such a high tech group
> > > but as i want to learn it, i have to ask it somewhere.
> > >
> > > I have ruby 1.8.6 patch 111 and gem 1.0.1
> > >
> > > now i want wxruby2 but as the 'gem install wxruby2' tries to install
> > > fromhttp://rub..., it timed out.
> > > I can see the files onhttp://rub.../frs/?group_id=35. Can i
> > > download the tar files and install it locally?
> > > How? because i dont want to leave it to network to do it.......i know
> > > it sound wierd but i can download the files but unable to install.
> > >
> > > Need a way to install offline using a file wxruby2 and wxsugar
> >
> > Yes, you can. Simply, give gem the path of the file you downloaded,
> > instead of just the gem name:
> >
> > gem install /path/to/downloaded/wxruby-something.gem
> >
> > I hope this helps
> >
> > Stefano
>
> dont you think .gem files try to download it from rubyforge.org, which
> is what i dont want
> i want a complete set locally. after which i'll disconnet from web and
> install
>
> Thanks

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. I did the following:

* downloaded the file wxruby-1.9.10-x86-linux.gem from
http://rub.../frs/?group_id=35&release_id=31089 and put it into
/home/stefano/downloads

* issued the command
gem install /home/stefano/downloads/wxruby-1.9.10-x86-linux.gem

This installed wxruby-1.9.19 without having gem trying to connect to the web.
If you want to absolutely sure of this, you can also pass the --local command
line option to gem, but it shouldn't be necessary.

By the way, referring to the other mail you posted, you can't install the
tar.gz file you found on rubyforge using rubygems. If you want to use that,
you'll need to install it manually.

Stefano

vaibhav kadian

On Feb 23, 3:32 pm, Stefano Crocco <stefano.cro...@alice.it> wrote:
> Alle Monday 23 February 2009, vaibhav kadian ha scritto:

> > > Yes, you can. Simply, give gem the path of the file you downloaded,
> > > instead of just the gem name:
>
> > > gem install /path/to/downloaded/wxruby-something.gem
>
> > > I hope this helps
>
> > > Stefano
>
> > dont you think .gem files try to download it from rubyforge.org, which
> > is what i dont want
> > i want a complete set locally. after which i'll disconnet from web and
> > install
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm not sure I understand you correctly. I did the following:
>
> * downloaded the file wxruby-1.9.10-x86-linux.gem fromhttp://rub.../frs/?group_id=35&release_id=31089and put it into
> /home/stefano/downloads
>
> * issued the command
>   gem install /home/stefano/downloads/wxruby-1.9.10-x86-linux.gem
>
> This installed wxruby-1.9.19 without having gem trying to connect to the web.
> If you want to absolutely sure of this, you can also pass the --local command
> line option to gem, but it shouldn't be necessary.
>
> By the way, referring to the other mail you posted, you can't install the
> tar.gz file you found on rubyforge using rubygems. If you want to use that,
> you'll need to install it manually.
>
> Stefano

Thanks Stefano
local option did the trick ...... that tells I am new to ruby