Class variables are still inherited?

hut

2/20/2009 9:55:00 PM

Hi ruby-talk

It's said everywhere that class variables are not inherited anymore in
newer versions of ruby. I experience a different behaviour, can you give
me any hints about what I'm doing wrong?

class Foo
@@a = 1
def self.moo() @@a end
end

class Bar < Foo
@@a = 2
end

Foo.moo == Bar.moo # both are 2

My ruby comes from this package: ruby-1.9.1-p0.tar.bz2

1 Answer

David A. Black

Hi --

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, hut wrote:

> Hi ruby-talk
>
> It's said everywhere that class variables are not inherited anymore in
> newer versions of ruby. I experience a different behaviour, can you give
> me any hints about what I'm doing wrong?
>
> class Foo
> @@a = 1
> def self.moo() @@a end
> end
>
> class Bar < Foo
> @@a = 2
> end
>
> Foo.moo == Bar.moo # both are 2
>
> My ruby comes from this package: ruby-1.9.1-p0.tar.bz2

For a while there was a change so that they weren't shared in the
whole hierarchy, but it got reverted.

David

Ruby/Rails consulting & training: http://www.r...
Coming in 2009: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning....)