Generating Microsoft word document using ruby or rails.

Prabu Jayaraman

2/20/2009 5:48:00 AM

I have some record formatted in table. For that, I need to convert the
table data into Microsoft word document or Open office document. what
method I have to use?,

Is there any class or gems or library in ruby?

kindly help me?....

Thanks,

Prabu J

Robert Klemme

2009/2/20 Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de>:
> * Prabu Jayaraman, 2009-02-20, 14:47:
>
>> I have some record formatted in table. For that, I need to convert the
>> table data into Microsoft word document or Open office document. what
>> method I have to use?,
>
> The easiest way is to write a CSV and then import it into the target
> application. With Openoffice this simply means that you write the data
> (using file access or simple redirect) to a file with the name ending in
> ".csv" then open the file. You will be presented with an import
> dialogue. Choose 'Separated by Tab'. The Data will be converted into a
> spreadsheet. The same method should work for MS Office but I am not
> familiar with that software.

Another easy way I can think of is this: create a document with the
desired contents, write it as RTF. Analyze the RTF and write a program
that outputs the same content (with multiple table rows of course).

Cheers

robert