vim for ruby

Bharat Ruparel

2/16/2009 3:19:00 AM

I am using Ubuntu 7.10. I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
syntax hilighting support, but it is not working. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
Bharat

Michael Fellinger

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Bharat Ruparel <bcruparel@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 7.10. I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working. Any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Bharat

You need to run the vim-ruby-install.rb

^ manveru

nico

Bharat Ruparel wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 7.10. I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working. Any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
> Bharat

You need to put 'syntax on' in your ~/.vimrc, it should work with or
without the vim-ruby package.

Bertram Scharpf

Am Montag, 16. Feb 2009, 12:18:44 +0900 schrieb Bharat Ruparel:
> I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working. Any ideas?

By the way: Some time ago I wrote two Vim commands to
interactively execute Ruby code and insert the result into the
current buffer below the code passage. I use them really often.

Maybe sommebody likes it:
<http://bertram-scharpf.homelinux.com/src/vru....

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany

Jeff Schwab

Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. Feb 2009, 12:18:44 +0900 schrieb Bharat Ruparel:
>> I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
>> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working. Any ideas?
>
> By the way: Some time ago I wrote two Vim commands to
> interactively execute Ruby code and insert the result into the
> current buffer below the code passage. I use them really often.
>
> Maybe sommebody likes it:
> <http://bertram-scharpf.homelinux.com/src/vru....

See also:
http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...

ThoML

> See also:http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...

What's the advantage of this approach over using the compiled-in ruby
interpreter?

Jeff Schwab

Tom Link wrote:
>> See also:http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...
>
> What's the advantage of this approach over using the compiled-in ruby
> interpreter?

Who said there was any advantage of either approach over the other?
(And why do so many people interpret the provision of relevant
information as somehow pejorative to the information already available?)

slime.vim happens to be a better fit for most of my work, because I'm
working with multiple external interpreters. Built-in support for a
particular Ruby interpreter is definitely cool, but it's not quite as
flexible.

Bharat Ruparel

That was it. Thanks.

> You need to put 'syntax on' in your ~/.vimrc, it should work with or
> without the vim-ruby package.

Robert Dober

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> wrote:

> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...

Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
thanx for sharing.
R.

--
There are some people who begin the Zoo at the beginning, called
WAYIN, and walk as quickly as they can past every cage until they get

Jeff Schwab

Robert Dober wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>
>> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...
>
> Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
> thanx for sharing.

It was useful to me, too. FWIW, I pretty much live in Screen and Vim
these days.

Zayd Abdullah

Jeff Schwab wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-slim...
>>
>> Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
>> thanx for sharing.
>
> It was useful to me, too. FWIW, I pretty much live in Screen and Vim
> these days.

Hey guys, I decided to start using vim since I'm a beginner\Ruby
programmer, and I decided (with some encouragement from other experience
ruby developers)and think its imperative for me to get used to the
command line, instead of being lazy with an IDE. I forked a project that
has some vim plugins. My question is, which plugins do I need to get
started, I just basically threw everything in there, and I'm noticing
some errors popping up when I start VIM. I want the cool stuff give me
the good stuff.

Thanks