Re: If you are unhappy with the direction of Ruby 1.8.7+, respond

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: If you are unhappy with the direction of Ruby 1.8.7+, respond"
on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:13:05 +0900, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb@gmail.com> writes:

|1. Would there be a chance of merging the efficiencies of Ruby
|Enterprise Edition, especially copy-on-write friendliness, into the
|"Engine Yard 1.8.6 stack?"

No please. Any new technology for 1.8 should merged in HEAD first,
then merged back into 1.8.6 if appropriate. I am not going to allow
EngineYard to fork off 1.8.6. If people from EngineYard want to
improve 1.8, it's OK. We are open. I will give them commit privilege
even. But no fork.

matz.

1 Answer

Charles Oliver Nutter

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: If you are unhappy with the direction of Ruby 1.8.7+, respond"
> on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:13:05 +0900, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |1. Would there be a chance of merging the efficiencies of Ruby
> |Enterprise Edition, especially copy-on-write friendliness, into the
> |"Engine Yard 1.8.6 stack?"
>
> No please. Any new technology for 1.8 should merged in HEAD first,
> then merged back into 1.8.6 if appropriate. I am not going to allow
> EngineYard to fork off 1.8.6. If people from EngineYard want to
> improve 1.8, it's OK. We are open. I will give them commit privilege
> even. But no fork.

Agreed here...1.8.6 should become more stable, and all changes should
filter down throught the 1_8 branch on ruby-lang. 1.8.6 should *not*
start to incorporate fixes/enhancements that are not in the other 1_8
versions.

- Charlie