comp.lang.python

Re: Durability and backward compatibility over 10 years...

Gabriel Genellina

12/20/2007 12:32:00 AM

En Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:10:59 -0300, Philippe DAVID
<philippe.a.david@sogeti.com> escribió:

> I would like to use python to write some scripts for a system that will
> be used
> for more than 10 years. My problem is the following:
> In 10 years, if the OS evolves and ships with the latest stable version
> of
> python, is there a chance for my 10 year old scripts to run on the new
> system ?
> (I am using the following imports: os, sys, md5, getopt, socket,
> UserDict).
> Currently we are using a RHEL linux, it includes python 2, 2.3 and 2.5.
> How old
> is this python 2 ?

2.0 is from October 2000, that's seven years old. Some people is still
using an even older version, 1.5.2.
Note that a script written for Python 1.5 likely runs without changes
using today's version. A script written now for 2.5 probably will run
unchanged for any upcoming 2.X release. The break point is at 3.0 - that
version is not backward compatible by design (but there is a tool to
automate the conversion 2 to 3).
Forcing my crystall ball, I think RH will include 3.X and 2.X versions of
Python for a long time.

> I don't need to be 100% sure that it will work, but avoiding upgrades of
> the
> scripts would be a significant plus.

Python has a rather impressive backward compatibility history. I think the
environment changes will be more important than Python itself (64bits to
xxx?, multiprocessor architecture, IPv6).

> Otherwise, is it possible to do something similar like static compiling
> in C ? I
> mean having one file, or a little set of files that contain my scripts
> and what
> is needed from the python libs to run them ? This way I could ship the
> scripts
> and some executables and be pretty much confident it will run even on new
> systems for a long time.

You can always install Python in an alternate place (e.g. your home
directory) and not rely on the system one.

--
Gabriel Genellina

5 Answers

Will Dockery

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:13:45 AM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> Hi, I assure you I was not "making light" of him in the slightest... I'm a big fan and have a great deal of respect for him and his music... Just wanted to share his music...

I got really interested in Neil Diamond when he teamed up with Robbie Robertson & The Band for Beautiful Noise. In fact, I wish I still had a copy of that one.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.p...

"...Neil Diamond: Beautiful Noise [Columbia, 1976]
This is a monstrous record. The "rock" star who broke the Broadway barrier seems to be thinking Big Musical, in the urban sentimental mode (complete with Evil, of course) that does such small justice to the challenge of New York. Although fellow urban sentimentalist Robbie Robertson can achieve an awesome (almost fulsome) fullness with rock instrumentation, his production is basically pop program music. Yet somewhere in my cockles I found Diamond hooking me as I listened for the last time and I had to admit that it takes a special kind of chutzpah to create a monster. C+..."

\"jordy\

I have mixed feelings about Christgau's reviews... while a lot of his reviews are certainly intelligent and stimulating and thought provoking, he can be rather sharp and nasty and mean spirited at times, which I find somewhat unnecessary and offputting...

Will Dockery

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:59:22 AM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> I have mixed feelings about Christgau's reviews... while a lot of his reviews are certainly intelligent and stimulating and thought provoking, he can be rather sharp and nasty and mean spirited at times, which I find somewhat unnecessary and offputting...

Yeah, Christgau was good at those short bats that while I don't always agree with, have a certain imagery that I find very poetic.

\"jordy\

It's not that I believe that reviewers should be bland and polite and genteel, there's certainly nothing wrong with a critic who is sharp edged and stimulating and opinionated and provocative... It's just that rather than critisize primarily the music, he sometimes has made unnecessary personal attacks on musicians, Imo...

Will Dockery

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:15:25 AM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> It's not that I believe that reviewers should be bland and polite and genteel, there's certainly nothing wrong with a critic who is sharp edged and stimulating and opinionated and provocative... It's just that rather than critisize primarily the music, he sometimes has made unnecessary personal attacks on musicians, Imo...

Lester Bangs was another that went that direction, well almost all of the Creem Magazine writers (where I found my Christgau, Bangs, et al writing in the 1970s) had that vicious personal attack mode at times.