GUI / graphical games: where to start?

aldric[removeme]

2/12/2009 5:42:00 PM

Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
then kinda cover it up?
I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
even know how to get started ;)
Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?

Thanks,

--Aldric
3 Answers

snex

On Feb 12, 11:42 am, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net>
wrote:
> Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
> stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
> pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
> no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
> then kinda cover it up?
> I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
> even know how to get started ;)
> Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
> a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Aldric

id go with the opengl and glut bindings. they should be cross-platform.

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Aldric Giacomoni
<"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net> wrote:
> Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical stuff
> but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of pong. What
> libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have no choice but
> to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and then kinda cover
> it up?

http://sh...
http://www.li...
http://rubygame.source...

martin

Shawn Anderson

There's a few options here:
2D games:
Rubygame (my favorite)
Gosu
RUDL (not really maintained IIRC)
Gemini (require JRuby)

3D
Ogre.rb (ruby bindings for ogre 3d engine)

These are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Hope this helps,
Shawn