comp.lang.python

help displaying pdf thru client/server

PaulS

12/19/2007 7:42:00 PM

Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
would be appreciated. thanks, paul

6 Answers

Larry Bates

PaulS wrote:
> Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
> report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
> display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
> would be appreciated. thanks, paul

You will need webserver running (Apache?) on Linux server that shows a page that
has a link to the pdf file that you created.

Alternatively you can use SimpleHTTPServer module or Twisted to make a more
stripped down webserver but it is probably easier just to use Apache.

You didn't say if the Linux server was local or not. If local, you could use
SAMBA to create a SMB share and have the XP PC get to it that way. There are
other ways, but these should get you started.

-Larry

Mike Driscoll

On Dec 19, 1:41 pm, "PaulS" <semen...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
> report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
> display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
> would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Some ideas, none tested:

1) Use Python to download the document and from the Windows box, do an
os.startfile(path)
2) Use a Python web framework (such as Turbogears, Pylons or Django)
to display the pdf in the browser if acrobat is installed
3) If the pdf is only accessible from a machine on your local network,
than you can do #1 without downloading it if you have samba running.
I've opened PDFs on our Debian boxes like this:
os.startfile(r'\\server\path\to\pdf')

HTH

Mike

PaulS

"PaulS" <semenick@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
> report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
> display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
> would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at twisted first.
paul

joker4153

On Mar 18, 11:12 am, Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> DanPopp wrote:
> > Joker wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> "Tastebud", which features Pigpen.
>
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ygbPOGQRU&featu...
>
> > That was fantastic. Thank you.
>
> Wow. What Dan said.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

I'm a proud holder of a place in your killfile, maybe the first one
there, even, yet you get to hear a link I posted through a 3rd party.
And like it.
Dude, that's messed up.

onetaste2000

On Mar 18, 5:18 pm, Joker <joker4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:12 am, Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > DanPopp wrote:

> > > That was fantastic. Thank you.
>
> > Wow. What Dan said.
>
> > --
> > Ken Fortenberry
>
> I'm a proud holder of a place in your killfile, maybe the first one
> there, even, yet you get to hear a link I posted through a 3rd party.
> And like it.
> Dude, that's messed up.

Yeah, cool how that "killfile" works. But don't sweat it Larry, as
Ken's only working the system. Pussy-dom has its privileges.

Fred

amurawa

On Mar 18, 5:33 pm, Lfh <onetaste2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 5:18 pm, Joker <joker4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 18, 11:12 am, Ken Fortenberry <kennethfortenbe...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Wow. What Dan said.
>
> > > --
> > > Ken Fortenberry
>
> > I'm a proud holder of a place in your killfile, maybe the first one
> > there, even, yet you get to hear a link I posted through a 3rd party.
> > And like it.
> > Dude, that's messed up.
>
> Yeah, cool how that "killfile" works. But don't sweat it Larry, as
> Ken's only working the system. Pussy-dom has its privileges.

Damn. Fred's back like two minutes and he's already referencing shit
from the past couple months of RMGD. I love reading most of y'all here
(even the ones I hate reading... grrrr), but Fred's the Neal Cassady
of RMGD posting, picking right back up in the middle of a conversation
he was having several months ago while filling in little comments to
reference the shit that's gone down in his absence, and probably
flipping a hammer all the while...