1.9.1 - some gems not added to LOAD_PATH?

Johan Sörensen

Hello,
I'd like to be educated a bit on how rubygems in 1.9-p0 works together with
$LOAD_PATH, because it it seems slightly inconsistent to me, for instance
mocha 0.9.5 is installed, but not in my load path:

$ gem1.9 list | grep mocha
mocha (0.9.5)
$ irb1.9
irb(main):001:0> $LOAD_PATH.grep /mocha/i
=> []

irb(main):002:0> pp `gem1.9 list`.split("\n").select{|g|
$LOAD_PATH.grep(/#{g.split(" ").first}/) == [] }
["addressable (2.0.2)",
"archive-tar-minitar (0.5.2)",
"cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0)",
"data_objects (0.9.11)",
"do_sqlite3 (0.9.11)",
"extlib (0.9.10)",
"gmailer (0.2.1)",
"meta_project (0.4.15)",
"mime-types (1.15)",
"mocha (0.9.5)",
"mongrel (1.1.2.0.1, 1.1.2)",
"open4 (0.9.6)",
"plist (3.0.1, 3.0.0)",
"ruby-yadis (0.3.4)",
"stomp (1.0.6)",
"textpow (0.10.2)",
"thin (1.0.0)"]

Any reason why these aren't put into the LOAD_PATH?

And similary the gem() command doesn't like spaces in the version argument:
irb(main):001:0> gem 'mocha', '>= 0'
NoMethodError: undefined method `<=>' for nil:NilClass
from <internal:gem_prelude>:249:in `push_gem_version_on_load_path'
from <internal:gem_prelude>:14:in `gem'
from (irb):1
from /usr/local/bin/irb1.9:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):002:0> gem 'mocha', '>=0'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> require 'mocha'
=> true

So, my question is; what's the secret sauce needed here?

Cheers,
JS

7 Answers

Will Dockery

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:17:36 AM UTC-4, BobbyM wrote:
> On 8/25/2013 5:42 PM, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bad-bob-another-listen-to-dylan-s-most-derided-era-1.1499...
>

> > "...One disc is dispensable: the full 1969 Isle of Wight concert,
>
> > which features a rollicking version of Highway 61 Revisited, but not
>
> > much else that matches it. One is both enjoyable and frustrating: the
>
> > remastered, slightly altered version of the original album (covers of
>
> > The Boxer, Blue Moon and Let it Be Me, for example, have been
>
> > dropped, while lachrymose orchestral overdubs supervised by the
>
> > album�s producer, Bob Johnston, have been sonically excised). Two
>
> > discs of out-takes and rarities are intriguing, and are, therefore,
>
> > of special interest."
>

> I can't find anything else that matches that description. Even Sony's
>
> press release says that the remastered album with include the entire
>
> album in its original sequence. I'll let you know when I get my copy if
>
> it's missing those songs.
>
> I also saw a torrent of the leaked 4 CD set & it included the supposedly
>
> missing songs.

I'm looking around and so far this is the only place I've found this, also.

Just Kidding

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:17:36 +0900, BobbyM <masseybNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/25/2013 5:42 PM, Will Dockery wrote:
>> http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bad-bob-another-listen-to-dylan-s-most-derided-era-1.1499...
>>
>> "...One disc is dispensable: the full 1969 Isle of Wight concert,
>> which features a rollicking version of Highway 61 Revisited, but not
>> much else that matches it. One is both enjoyable and frustrating: the
>> remastered, slightly altered version of the original album (covers of
>> The Boxer, Blue Moon and Let it Be Me, for example, have been
>> dropped, while lachrymose orchestral overdubs supervised by the
>> album?s producer, Bob Johnston, have been sonically excised). Two
>> discs of out-takes and rarities are intriguing, and are, therefore,
>> of special interest."
>
>I can't find anything else that matches that description. Even Sony's
>press release says that the remastered album with include the entire
>album in its original sequence. I'll let you know when I get my copy if
>it's missing those songs.
>
>I also saw a torrent of the leaked 4 CD set & it included the supposedly
>missing songs.

To clear up any possible confusion, the Standard Version release (2
cd's) does not include The Boxer, Let It Be Me or Blue Moon. Those
tracks are included on the Deluxe Version's (4 cd's) remastered Self
Portrait.

Will Dockery

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:33:53 AM UTC-4, Just Kidding wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:17:36 +0900, BobbyM <masseybNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
>
> wrote:
>

> >On 8/25/2013 5:42 PM, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> >> http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bad-bob-another-listen-to-dylan-s-most-derided-era-1.1499...
>

> >> "...One disc is dispensable: the full 1969 Isle of Wight concert,
>
> >> which features a rollicking version of Highway 61 Revisited, but not
>
> >> much else that matches it. One is both enjoyable and frustrating: the
>
> >> remastered, slightly altered version of the original album (covers of
>
> >> The Boxer, Blue Moon and Let it Be Me, for example, have been
>
> >> dropped, while lachrymose orchestral overdubs supervised by the
>
> >> album?s producer, Bob Johnston, have been sonically excised). Two
>
> >> discs of out-takes and rarities are intriguing, and are, therefore,
>
> >> of special interest."
>

> >I can't find anything else that matches that description. Even Sony's
>
> >press release says that the remastered album with include the entire
>
> >album in its original sequence. I'll let you know when I get my copy if
>
> >it's missing those songs.
>

> >I also saw a torrent of the leaked 4 CD set & it included the supposedly
>
> >missing songs.
>

> To clear up any possible confusion, the Standard Version release (2
>
> cd's) does not include The Boxer, Let It Be Me or Blue Moon. Those
>
> tracks are included on the Deluxe Version's (4 cd's) remastered Self
>
> Portrait.

Okay, so we have to spend, what, over $100 to hear The Boxer and Blue Moon?

That's sort of unfortunate for some of us... Blue Moon was always kind of a favorite from the album, and The Boxer was bizarre and almost funny in an apparently unintentional way.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/w...

BobbyM

On 8/26/2013 1:18 AM, Will Dockery wrote:

> Okay, so we have to spend, what, over $100 to hear The Boxer and Blue Moon?
>
> That's sort of unfortunate for some of us... Blue Moon was always kind of a favorite from the album, and The Boxer was bizarre and almost funny in an apparently unintentional way.

Only if you want to want to hear the remastered versions of those songs
now. It'll probably be sold separately in just a short time & the
regular issue is still for sale, $4.99 from Amazon.

Will Dockery

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:11:05 PM UTC-4, BobbyM wrote:
> On 8/26/2013 1:18 AM, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Okay, so we have to spend, what, over $100 to hear The Boxer and Blue Moon?
>
> > That's sort of unfortunate for some of us... Blue Moon was always kind of a favorite from the album, and The Boxer was bizarre and almost funny in an apparently unintentional way.
>
> Only if you want to want to hear the remastered versions of those songs
>
> now. It'll probably be sold separately in just a short time & the
>
> regular issue is still for sale, $4.99 from Amazon.

Not really, I was just questioning the statement that the songs were missing, I've actually heard enough Self Portrait over the last 40 years to last me a lifetime.

really real

> Okay, so we have to spend, what, over $100 to hear The Boxer and Blue Moon?
>
> That's sort of unfortunate for some of us... Blue Moon was always kind of a favorite from the album, and The Boxer was bizarre and almost funny in an apparently unintentional way.

No one mentions Living the Blues, the one original Dylan song, not
counting Minstrel Boy. I always loved this song, even if it were a love
and theft of Guy Mitchell's Singing the Blues, which I also loved

Will Dockery

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:55:52 AM UTC-4, really real wrote:

> No one mentions Living the Blues, the one original Dylan song, not
> counting Minstrel Boy. I always loved this song, even if it were a love
> and theft of Guy Mitchell's Singing the Blues, which I also loved.

There was always a lot of Hank Snow's "I Don't Hurt Anymore" in that one to my ears also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Hu...

"I Don't Hurt Anymore" is a 1954 song by Hank Snow. It was written by Don Robertson and Jack Rollins. The song was Hank Snow's fourth number one on the country chart where it spent 20 weeks at the top spot and a total of 41 weeks on the chart.