Re: Is This Normal?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Is This Normal?"
on Thu, 5 Feb 2009 02:15:15 +0900, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com> writes:

|When I reply to ruby-talk I get an extra copy of my reply.
|Is this normal?

If you're using gmail, yes.

matz.

11 Answers

Alex Katebi

Hello Matz,

I am a member of Mysql, Ubuntu and other mailing lists. None of them show
this behavior.
When I send an email I don't get any emails echoed back. When I send replies
I get just one copy of myself.

In ruby-talk everything sent by me has an extra copy. I think something is
broken. Possibly at the ruby-talk end since I am OK with other mailing
lists.

By the way, thanks for a great language!
-Alex

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Is This Normal?"
> on Thu, 5 Feb 2009 02:15:15 +0900, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
> |When I reply to ruby-talk I get an extra copy of my reply.
> |Is this normal?
>
> If you're using gmail, yes.
>
> matz.

Radoslaw Bulat

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a member of Mysql, Ubuntu and other mailing lists. None of them sh=
ow
> this behavior.
> When I send an email I don't get any emails echoed back. When I send repl=
ies
> I get just one copy of myself.
>
> In ruby-talk everything sent by me has an extra copy. I think something i=
> broken. Possibly at the ruby-talk end since I am OK with other mailing
> lists.

Maybe these other mailing lists doesn't send mail to senders? As
someone pointed already you can set in gmail some filter to now show
message from your mail that was send to ruby-talk etc.

--=20
Pozdrawiam

Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

John Nguyen

I read it somewhere that Bach's personal locksmith changed the keys for him all the time.
Cheers,

John

Jonathan (not from Cleveland)

On Monday, July 8, 2013 6:41:40 AM UTC-4, John Nguyen wrote:
> I read it somewhere that Bach's personal locksmith changed the keys for him all the time.
>
> Cheers,
>

> John

I hear they were made of well-tempered steel!

Steven Bornfeld

On 7/7/2013 6:57 PM, ktaylor wrote:

> I don't know about brutalize, but it certainly can effect the affect of the piece.

I think you meant to say, "affect the affect", or alternatively "have an
effect on the affect".

Steve (rmcg grammarian by default)

I think the relative harm it can do is a function of the register of the
instrument on to which

it is transposed. I've brutalized Mozart by moving a light minuet & trio
from Eb downward to E so

passages will fit on the guitars. It makes it heavier and darker, not
quite the intent of the original.

I did it because I always loved this minuet/trio and discovered the
beautiful nexus between simplicity

and genius that Mozart possessed, so I didn't care. It was worth it.

> Here it is with symphony
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d...
>
> Here on guitars:
> http://youtu.be/f...
>
> Kevin Taylor

zachrobinson729

On Monday, July 8, 2013 10:08:48 AM UTC-5, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 7/7/2013 6:57 PM, ktaylor wrote:
>

> > I don't know about brutalize, but it certainly can effect the affect of the piece.
>

> I think you meant to say, "affect the affect", or alternatively "have an
>
> effect on the affect".
>

> Steve (rmcg grammarian by default)

that would be an affectation, wouldn't it?

Andrew Schulman

On Monday, July 8, 2013 6:41:40 AM UTC-4, John Nguyen wrote:
> I read it somewhere that Bach's personal locksmith changed the keys for him all the time.
>
> Cheers,
>

> John

Shame on you, John!

Andrew

dsi1

On 7/8/2013 12:41 AM, John Nguyen wrote:
> I read it somewhere that Bach's personal locksmith changed the keys for him all the time.
> Cheers,
>
> John

These days I'll bet that Bach wouldn't need to change keys because he'd
just use a key card. Maybe he'd even live in a gated community.

Steven Bornfeld

On 7/8/2013 12:29 PM, zachrobinson729@gmail.com wrote:

> that would be an affectation, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. I might affect an affect that is genuine--whether my
affect is responsible for an effect in others is just a corollary of the
law of unintended consequences.

ktaylor

On Monday, July 8, 2013 10:08:48 AM UTC-5, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 7/7/2013 6:57 PM, ktaylor wrote:
>

> > I don't know about brutalize, but it certainly can effect the affect of the piece.
>

> I think you meant to say, "affect the affect", or alternatively "have an
>
> effect on the affect".
>

> Steve (rmcg grammarian by default)

Hmm...I meant it would have a negative effect on the affect. But its your fault where this thread goes from here, Steve.
Kevin