stupid mkmf

Alex Katebi

The mkmf gets the list of C source files to be used for the shared library
from the current directory only.
Is this the only stupid way to list C source files for ruby extensions?

7 Answers

Radoslaw Bulat

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com> wrote:
> The mkmf gets the list of C source files to be used for the shared librar=
> from the current directory only.
> Is this the only stupid way to list C source files for ruby extensions?

I remember doing something like this in extconf.rb:

$srcs =3D [
# c files listed here
]
$objs =3D [
# object files listed here
]

I looked at the mkmf sources and see that it use that global variables
but I don't know if there is better way. Btw. mkmf source is very
poor.. it would be nice to have better replacement for mkmf.

--=20
Pozdrawiam

Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Alex Katebi

2009/2/3 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The mkmf gets the list of C source files to be used for the shared
> library
> > from the current directory only.
> > Is this the only stupid way to list C source files for ruby extensions?
> >
> I remember doing something like this in extconf.rb:
>
> $srcs =3D [
> # c files listed here
> ]
> $objs =3D [
> # object files listed here
> ]

I assume I should do something like $srcs =3D %w[../src/foo.c ../src/more.c=
]

> I looked at the mkmf sources and see that it use that global variables
> but I don't know if there is better way. Btw. mkmf source is very
> poor.. it would be nice to have better replacement for mkmf.

If I have some time in the future I will write an autoconf & automake
replacement for mkmf and give it to Matz. Ruby deserves better than this
mkmf hack.

Thanks for responding!
-Alex

> --
> Pozdrawiam
>
> Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
> http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Radoslaw Bulat

2009/2/4 Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com>:
> 2009/2/3 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>
>> $srcs =3D [
>> # c files listed here
>> ]
>> $objs =3D [
>> # object files listed here
>> ]
>>

> I assume I should do something like $srcs =3D %w[../src/foo.c ../src/more=
c]

Yes.

> If I have some time in the future I will write an autoconf & automake
> replacement for mkmf and give it to Matz. Ruby deserves better than this
> mkmf hack.

Ruby gives big possibility to build nice api and mkmf is just ugly
(both from programmer and source perspective).
Good luck!

--=20
Pozdrawiam

Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Joel VanderWerf

Rados3aw Bu3at wrote:
> 2009/2/4 Alex Katebi <alex.katebi@gmail.com>:
>> 2009/2/3 Rados3aw Bu3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>
>>> $srcs = [
>>> # c files listed here
>>> ]
>>> $objs = [
>>> # object files listed here
>>> ]
>>>
>> I assume I should do something like $srcs = %w[../src/foo.c ../src/more.c]
>
> Yes.
>
>> If I have some time in the future I will write an autoconf & automake
>> replacement for mkmf and give it to Matz. Ruby deserves better than this
>> mkmf hack.
>
> Ruby gives big possibility to build nice api and mkmf is just ugly
> (both from programmer and source perspective).
> Good luck!

What ever happened to mkrf?

http://rubyforge.org/proj...

erickit

On Jan 29, 11:17 pm, Ron Lyons <rlyo...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Guys, I've got a Last Action Hero pinball machine I need somebody to
> come buy from me before I push it off the roof of my house.
>
> The playfield was last cleaned with an orbital sander, 5 of the
> plastics are missing and the others are cracked.  The bottom of the
> playfield has had everything removed and then I lost the bag I placed
> them all in... the cabinet has termite damage, major gouges
> everywhere, cat piss all over it from where the last owner let his pet
> sleep in it, the translite is pretty nice, just 4 or 5 cracks and the
> entire back of it is brown from where the light bulb scorched it, all
> the boards are gone, the transformer is missing because it caught on
> fire and burnt up the wiring harness which is still there, stuck to
> the playfield via melted plastic, the glass is so scratched up it's
> opaque, the legs are rusted onto the cabinet, 4 of the 8 leg bolts are
> stripped so you can't replace the legs without a cutting wheel, the
> coin door has all of the innards missing from the back of it, the
> lockdown bar has "Drugs are Cool" scratched into it, and for whatever
> reason there's a lot of what looks like blood pooled in the coin
> bucket.
>
> I'll take $100.  Who wants it?

Location?

Eric

Rompen

On Jan 30, 1:17 am, Ron Lyons <rlyo...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Guys, I've got a Last Action Hero pinball machine I need somebody to
> come buy from me before I push it off the roof of my house.
>
> The playfield was last cleaned with an orbital sander, 5 of the
> plastics are missing and the others are cracked.  The bottom of the
> playfield has had everything removed and then I lost the bag I placed
> them all in... the cabinet has termite damage, major gouges
> everywhere, cat piss all over it from where the last owner let his pet
> sleep in it, the translite is pretty nice, just 4 or 5 cracks and the
> entire back of it is brown from where the light bulb scorched it, all
> the boards are gone, the transformer is missing because it caught on
> fire and burnt up the wiring harness which is still there, stuck to
> the playfield via melted plastic, the glass is so scratched up it's
> opaque, the legs are rusted onto the cabinet, 4 of the 8 leg bolts are
> stripped so you can't replace the legs without a cutting wheel, the
> coin door has all of the innards missing from the back of it, the
> lockdown bar has "Drugs are Cool" scratched into it, and for whatever
> reason there's a lot of what looks like blood pooled in the coin
> bucket.
>
> I'll take $100.  Who wants it?

email sent

calvin12

On Jan 30, 1:17 am, Ron Lyons <rlyo...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Guys, I've got a Last Action Hero pinball machine I need somebody to
> come buy from me before I push it off the roof of my house.
>
> The playfield was last cleaned with an orbital sander, 5 of the
> plastics are missing and the others are cracked.  The bottom of the
> playfield has had everything removed and then I lost the bag I placed
> them all in... the cabinet has termite damage, major gouges
> everywhere, cat piss all over it from where the last owner let his pet
> sleep in it, the translite is pretty nice, just 4 or 5 cracks and the
> entire back of it is brown from where the light bulb scorched it, all
> the boards are gone, the transformer is missing because it caught on
> fire and burnt up the wiring harness which is still there, stuck to
> the playfield via melted plastic, the glass is so scratched up it's
> opaque, the legs are rusted onto the cabinet, 4 of the 8 leg bolts are
> stripped so you can't replace the legs without a cutting wheel, the
> coin door has all of the innards missing from the back of it, the
> lockdown bar has "Drugs are Cool" scratched into it, and for whatever
> reason there's a lot of what looks like blood pooled in the coin
> bucket.
>
> I'll take $100.  Who wants it?

I';; take the lockdown bar