alex.m.mcpherson

2/3/2009 5:15:00 PM

Hi there,

I'm about 2 weeks into my learning attempt at Ruby (1.8.6 is what I've
cut my teeth on).

Can someone give me a rational assessment of the differences between
the two language versions, and which one I should continue to pursue?

I'm mainly using Ruby with Rails to make basic webapps for my own
edification.

Thanks!

Alex
24 Answers

Radoslaw Bulat

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, yuckysocks <alex.m.mcpherson@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm about 2 weeks into my learning attempt at Ruby (1.8.6 is what I've
> cut my teeth on).
>
> Can someone give me a rational assessment of the differences between
> the two language versions, and which one I should continue to pursue?
>
> I'm mainly using Ruby with Rails to make basic webapps for my own
> edification.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex

Very short answer:
- new virtual machine (previously just AST interpreter)
- memory diet for some objects (Object, Array, String etc)
- improved speed (see
http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/12/09/the-great-ruby-shootout-dece...
/)
- added character encoding support (previously works only with raw bytes)
- new syntax for hashes with symbols as keys, hashes preserve keys order
- many changes to API (improved, added consistency, removed deprecated code=
etc)
- changes in language semantics (for example block arguments now works
(almost?) the same as method arguments)
- new lambda literal: ->
- external iterators (class Enumerator) now are built in
- new concept such a fiber (class Fiber)
- native threads (but with GIL like python)
- rubygems, rake are built in
- minitest supercedes old test/unit

--=20
Pozdrawiam

Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Zayd Abdullah

So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting ourselves
starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.

thanks

2009/2/3 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, yuckysocks <alex.m.mcpherson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm about 2 weeks into my learning attempt at Ruby (1.8.6 is what I've
> > cut my teeth on).
> >
> > Can someone give me a rational assessment of the differences between
> > the two language versions, and which one I should continue to pursue?
> >
> > I'm mainly using Ruby with Rails to make basic webapps for my own
> > edification.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Alex
> >

> Very short answer:
> - new virtual machine (previously just AST interpreter)
> - memory diet for some objects (Object, Array, String etc)
> - improved speed (see
>
> http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/12/09/the-great-ruby-shootout-de...
08/
> )
> - added character encoding support (previously works only with raw bytes)
> - new syntax for hashes with symbols as keys, hashes preserve keys order
> - many changes to API (improved, added consistency, removed deprecated co=
de
> etc)
> - changes in language semantics (for example block arguments now works
> (almost?) the same as method arguments)
> - new lambda literal: ->
> - external iterators (class Enumerator) now are built in
> - new concept such a fiber (class Fiber)
> - native threads (but with GIL like python)
> - rubygems, rake are built in
> - minitest supercedes old test/unit
>

> --
> Pozdrawiam
>
> Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
> http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

David A. Black

Hi --

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Zayd Abdullah wrote:

> So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting ourselves
> starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.

If you can wait about 1.5 months or so you can read "The Well-Grounded
Rubyist" (already available in early-access PDF), which is about
1.9.1. See http://www.manning..... Meanwhile there's a ton of
stuff you can learn in 1.8.6 that hasn't changed, or where the changes
are likely to make more sense to you anyway (like "abc"[0] being "a"
rather than 97).

See also my recent blog posts on 1.8/1.9:

http://dablog.rubypal.com/2009/1/14/10-things-to-be-aware-of-in-moving-t...
http://dablog.rubypal.com/2009/1/16/son-of-10-things-to-be-aware-of-i...

David

Ruby/Rails consulting & training: http://www.r...
Coming in 2009: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning....)

http://www.wis... => Independent, social wishlist management!

Jonathon Brenner

Not all books. Take a look at Programming 1.9 by Pragmatic Programmers
(http://preview.tinyurl....). They constantly update their PDF
books to keep in step with the latest changes to Ruby.

Good luck.

2009/2/3 Zayd Abdullah <devrubygem@gmail.com>

> So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting ourselves
> starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.
>
> thanks
>
> 2009/2/3 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>
>
> > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, yuckysocks <alex.m.mcpherson@gmail.com=
>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'm about 2 weeks into my learning attempt at Ruby (1.8.6 is what I'v=
> > > cut my teeth on).
> > >
> > > Can someone give me a rational assessment of the differences between
> > > the two language versions, and which one I should continue to pursue?
> > >
> > > I'm mainly using Ruby with Rails to make basic webapps for my own
> > > edification.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Alex
> > >

> > Very short answer:
> > - new virtual machine (previously just AST interpreter)
> > - memory diet for some objects (Object, Array, String etc)
> > - improved speed (see
> >
> > http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/12/09/the-great-ruby-shootout-...
2008/
> > )
> > - added character encoding support (previously works only with raw byte=
s)
> > - new syntax for hashes with symbols as keys, hashes preserve keys orde=
> > - many changes to API (improved, added consistency, removed deprecated =
code
> > etc)
> > - changes in language semantics (for example block arguments now works
> > (almost?) the same as method arguments)
> > - new lambda literal: ->
> > - external iterators (class Enumerator) now are built in
> > - new concept such a fiber (class Fiber)
> > - native threads (but with GIL like python)
> > - rubygems, rake are built in
> > - minitest supercedes old test/unit
> >

> > --
> > Pozdrawiam
> >
> > Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
> > http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Zayd Abdullah

Hey Alex,
How is your learning process going? I'm currently learning Ruby also. I
picked up "Beginning Ruby" by Peter Cooper(Excellent read), and "Design
Patterns In Ruby". What kind of projects are you creating and practicing to
sharpen your skills? I need some simple projects to start creating. Do you
have any suggestions?

Thanks
Zayd

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, yuckysocks <alex.m.mcpherson@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm about 2 weeks into my learning attempt at Ruby (1.8.6 is what I've
> cut my teeth on).
>
> Can someone give me a rational assessment of the differences between
> the two language versions, and which one I should continue to pursue?
>
> I'm mainly using Ruby with Rails to make basic webapps for my own
> edification.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex

James Gray

On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Zayd Abdullah wrote:

> So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting
> ourselves starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are
> teaching from 1.8.

No, you will be fine. It's not a super tough transition when you are
ready.

James Edward Gray II

Zayd Abdullah

Thanks Guys. So in a short list, what should be the features to stay away
from in 1.8, I just purchased "Beginning Ruby" by Peter Cooper, I really
would hate to struggle trying to get something then find out its no longer
needed or being used in 1.9 lol.

Thanks

2009/2/3 Jonathon Brenner <jonbrenner@gmail.com>

> Not all books. Take a look at Programming 1.9 by Pragmatic Programmers
> (http://preview.tinyurl....). They constantly update their PDF
> books to keep in step with the latest changes to Ruby.
>
> Good luck.
>
> 2009/2/3 Zayd Abdullah <devrubygem@gmail.com>
> >
> > So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting ourselv=
es
> > starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > 2009/2/3 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <radek.bulat@gmail.com>
> >
> > > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, yuckysocks <
> alex.m.mcpherson@gmail.com>

> I've

> > > Very short answer:
> > > - new virtual machine (previously just AST interpreter)
> > > - memory diet for some objects (Object, Array, String etc)
> > > - improved speed (see
> > >

> http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/12/09/the-great-ruby-shootout-de...
08/
> > > )
> > > - added character encoding support (previously works only with raw
> bytes)
> > > - new syntax for hashes with symbols as keys, hashes preserve keys
> order
> > > - many changes to API (improved, added consistency, removed deprecate=
> code
> > > etc)
> > > - changes in language semantics (for example block arguments now work=
> > > (almost?) the same as method arguments)
> > > - new lambda literal: ->
> > > - external iterators (class Enumerator) now are built in
> > > - new concept such a fiber (class Fiber)
> > > - native threads (but with GIL like python)
> > > - rubygems, rake are built in
> > > - minitest supercedes old test/unit
> > >

> > > --
> > > Pozdrawiam
> > >
> > > Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
> > > http://radarek... - m=F3j blog

Stephen Celis

On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Zayd Abdullah wrote:

> Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.

In addition to those already mentioned in this thread, Flanagan's _The
Ruby Programming Language_ (O'Reilly) is a great book in general and
touched on Ruby 1.9 even though it was published over a year ago. It's
not completely up to date with 1.9.1, but covers many of the
conceptual changes.

Stephen

Zayd Abdullah

WHEW!! :) okay cool

Thanks

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM, James Gray <james@grayproductions.net>wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Zayd Abdullah wrote:
>
> So since these changes have been made, will us noobs be hurting ourselves
>> starting off learning 1.8.6? Books to learn from are teaching from 1.8.
>>

> No, you will be fine. It's not a super tough transition when you are
> ready.
>
> James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Zayd Abdullah wrote:

> I need some simple projects to start creating. Do you have any
> suggestions?

You might try some of the easier questions from Ruby Quiz:

http://rub...

The problems a bunch of people solved are generally the easiest. For
example, have a look at:

http://rub...quiz14.html

and:

http://rub...quiz84.html