Problem with ruby classes

Manisha Tripathy

2/2/2009 4:23:00 PM

Can Anyone please tell me how can we create an object of a class that is
present in one ruby file, in another ruby file? I tried using .new()
method but that doesn't seem to work.It simply cannot find the required
file.
It works when I create an object of class inside the same file ,but not
in another file.

For example , lets say there is a file , file1.rb which contains class
File1
there is another file named file2.rb , that contains another class File2

I want to use the methods in file1.rb inside class File2 in file2.rb
Can someone tell how can I do that?

My codes are somewhat like this

# file1.rb
class File1
def method1

#file2.rb
object = File1.new
class File2
end

The error while running file2.rb is

file2.rb:3: uninitialized constant File1 (NameError)

Stefano Crocco

Alle Monday 02 February 2009, Manisha Tripathy ha scritto:
> Can Anyone please tell me how can we create an object of a class that is
> present in one ruby file, in another ruby file? I tried using .new()
> method but that doesn't seem to work.It simply cannot find the required
> file.
> It works when I create an object of class inside the same file ,but not
> in another file.
>
> For example , lets say there is a file , file1.rb which contains class
> File1
> there is another file named file2.rb , that contains another class File2
>
> I want to use the methods in file1.rb inside class File2 in file2.rb
> Can someone tell how can I do that?
>
> My codes are somewhat like this
>
> # file1.rb
> class File1
> def method1
>
> #file2.rb
> object = File1.new
> class File2
> end
>

> The error while running file2.rb is
>
> file2.rb:3: uninitialized constant File1 (NameError)

Add

require 'file1'

somewhere before the call to File1.new in file2.rb

Stefano

Manisha Tripathy

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> Alle Monday 02 February 2009, Manisha Tripathy ha scritto:
>>

>> #file2.rb
>> object = File1.new
>> class File2
>> end
>>

>> The error while running file2.rb is
>>
>> file2.rb:3: uninitialized constant File1 (NameError)
>
> Add
>
> require 'file1'
>
> somewhere before the call to File1.new in file2.rb
>
> Stefano

Thanks Stefano !!!
I have already tried to use require but of no use.It says no file to
load, where as both the files are in the same directory

Julian Leviston

Make sure you don't include the extension

Sent from my iPhone

On 03/02/2009, at 3:33 AM, Manisha Tripathy <pujari.manisha@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Stefano Crocco wrote:
>> Alle Monday 02 February 2009, Manisha Tripathy ha scritto:
>>>

>>> #file2.rb
>>> object = File1.new
>>> class File2