How to download all mp3 files from this website?

Li Chen

2/1/2009 8:43:00 PM

Hi all,

I want to download all the mp3 files from this website:
http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secscie....

But I cannot see the link to each mp3 file in the source file. I wonder
how I can find out each link for the mp3 in source file.

Thanks,

Li

Phlip

Li Chen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to download all the mp3 files from this website:
> http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secscie....
>
> But I cannot see the link to each mp3 file in the source file. I wonder
> how I can find out each link for the mp3 in source file.

A> What's the relation to the language Ruby here?

B> If I had cool MP3s, I would munge their addresses to prevent casual scraping.

Google "Streamripping" to get an idea for the silly arms race currently in
progress...

--
Phlip

Michael Guterl

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to download all the mp3 files from this website:
> http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secscie....
>
> But I cannot see the link to each mp3 file in the source file. I wonder
> how I can find out each link for the mp3 in source file.

mp3scrape may work for your needs.

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/mp3scrape/mp3scr...

Regards,
Michael Guterl

Li Chen

Phlip wrote:
> Li Chen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to download all the mp3 files from this website:
>> http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secscie....
>>
>> But I cannot see the link to each mp3 file in the source file. I wonder
>> how I can find out each link for the mp3 in source file.
>
> A> What's the relation to the language Ruby here?

#Use Ruby script to download a webpage ranging from 15274.html to
15334.html
# and here is an example
#download a webpage based on an address

require 'open-uri'
require 'threadlimiter'

#address='http://www.qenglish.com/samples/15334...
#....
#address='http://www.qenglish.com/samples/15274...

addresses=[]
address1='http://www.qenglish.com/sam...
address2=''
address3='.html'

# create the address
(15274..15334) .to_a.each do |i|
addresses<<(address1 + i.to_s+ address3)
end

#download the files
addresses.threaded_collect(1)do |a_uri|
open(a_uri) do |a_file|
f_name=File.basename(a_uri)
open(f_name,'wb') do|r_file|
a_file.each_line do |a_line|
r_file.write a_line

Li Chen

Michael Guterl wrote:
> mp3scrape may work for your needs.
>
> http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/mp3scrape/mp3scr...

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much.

What is the right syntex for using mp3scrape? I can not load mp3scrape
after I use gem install to install the gem.

Li

############################
C:\Users\Alex>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'mp3scrape'
LoadError: no such file to load -- mp3scrape
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
from (irb):1

Reid Thompson

Li Chen wrote:
> Michael Guterl wrote:
>> mp3scrape may work for your needs.
>>
>> http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/mp3scrape/mp3scr...
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> What is the right syntex for using mp3scrape? I can not load mp3scrape
> after I use gem install to install the gem.
>
> Li
>
> ############################
> C:\Users\Alex>irb
> irb(main):001:0> require 'mp3scrape'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- mp3scrape
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require'
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
> from (irb):1

try

$ mp3scrape --help

Li Chen

Reid Thompson wrote:

> try
>
> $ mp3scrape --help

Hi Reid,

Here is what I get:

C:\Users\Alex>mp3scrape --help
gem install main

C:\Users\Alex>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'mp3scrape'
LoadError: no such file to load -- mp3scrape
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

Li

Reid Thompson

Li Chen wrote:
> Reid Thompson wrote:
>
>> try
>>
>> $ mp3scrape --help
>

> Hi Reid,
>
> Here is what I get:
>
> C:\Users\Alex>mp3scrape --help
> gem install main
>
> C:\Users\Alex>irb
> irb(main):001:0> require 'mp3scrape'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- mp3scrape
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require'
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
> from (irb):1
> irb(main):002:0>
>
> Li
you need to run

# gem install main

then you will prob also need to run

# gem install threadify

then run

$ mp3scrape --help

Li Chen

Reid Thompson wrote:
> you need to run
>
> # gem install main
>
> then you will prob also need to run
>
> # gem install threadify
>

> then run
>
> $ mp3scrape --help
Hi Reid,

Thank you very much.

I follow your suggestions and now I am able to download mp3 from
http://troubledsoulsunite.blo....

But I cannot download mp3 from

Li Chen wrote:
> Reid Thompson wrote:
>> you need to run
>>
>> # gem install main
>>
>> then you will prob also need to run
>>
>> # gem install threadify
>>

>> then run
>>
>> $ mp3scrape --help
> Hi Reid,
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> I follow your suggestions and now I am able to download mp3 from
> http://troubledsoulsunite.blo....
>
> But I cannot download mp3 from
> http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secscie...
>
> Li
you might have more success at

http://www.sciam.com/podcast/podcasts.cfm?type=60-seco...

if you can get mp3scrape to follow the podcast urls....

Li Chen

Reid Thompson wrote:
> you might have more success at
>
> http://www.sciam.com/podcast/podcasts.cfm?type=60-seco...
>
> if you can get mp3scrape to follow the podcast urls....

Hi Reid,

Thanks.

I use a script I wrote in the previous post and download all the mp3 I
need.

Li