Link xampp mysql to Ruby's

Chris Gunnels

2/1/2009 8:04:00 PM

I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

Hassan Schroeder

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Chris Gunnels <rfsllc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
> that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
> don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
was initially installed.

Chris Gunnels

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
> access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
> was initially installed.

how would you go about doing that.

Hassan Schroeder

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Chris Gunnels <rfsllc@gmail.com> wrote:

> how would you go about doing that.

How are you intending to use MySQL? From a stand-along Ruby
program, from Rails, ___________?

Regardless, you need to know the MySQL username and password,
socket or port # to connect to, etc. -- those are the same whether you
connect from Ruby, Java, PHP, whatever.

Zac Brown

Chris Gunnels wrote:
> Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>
>> I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
>> access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
>> was initially installed.
>
> how would you go about doing that.

You would create some settings file and ask the Ruby mysql handler to use those
settings... Its just a matter of using the same settings. As long as the server
address, username, pass, and so on match you should be able to access it from
any language you want.

-Zac