Python to Ruby Tutorial (need collborators

Hello all,
I am a Python programmer and a Ruby Nuby. I have not found a guide
available for Python programmers wishing to learn Ruby. I know Python
and would like to write a tut so future people in my position can make
the change easier.

Would anybody who knows the Ruby language care to get involved in this
project?

I want to set up some examples like -- How do you handle situations in
Ruby where you would use a list comprehension in Python? for example
to iterate over a container selecting the items that pass a test [obj
for obj in list if obj.attribute == this] ,etc, etc...

This would help to break the ice.
19 Answers

Julian Leviston

some_array.select{|item| item>5}

For example

Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning
python too? I'd be interested in that.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 31, 10:26 pm, Julian Leviston <jul...@coretech.net.au> wrote:
> some_array.select{|item| item>5}
> Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning
> python too? I'd be interested in that.

Absolutely! Ruby<->Python.

As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
contact me.

Matt Lawrence

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, r wrote:

> As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
> This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
> between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
> some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
> contact me.

Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

James Britt

r wrote:

> As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.

Completely false.

There are a few people who like making inflammatory posts, that's all.
It does not reflect how the majority of users of each language feel
about the other.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Quoting Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com>:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, r wrote:
>
>> As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
>> This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
>> between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
>> some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
>> contact me.
>
> Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
> feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think
> you will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.
>
> -- Matt
> It's not what I know that counts.
> It's what I can remember in time to use.

I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
never had a need or desire to learn it.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Phlip

> I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
> never had a need or desire to learn it.

I have >2 years flight time with Python, and I try very hard not to add to the
"bad blood" in these forums. Sometimes...

Phlip

Matt Lawrence wrote:

> Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
> feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
> will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

+1

Excellent way to damn with faint praise!!

On Feb 1, 12:05 am, Phlip <phlip2...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh crap, i started a frost war!!! :D

Yaser Sulaiman

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Julian Leviston <julian@coretech.net.au>wrote:

> Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning python
> too? I'd be interested in that.

+1!

Regards,
Yaser

Tammo Tjarks

Hello,
there is something on
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-fr...

The german version seems to be more detailed:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/de/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-fr...

Regards,
Tammo

P.S. If this message comes several times. My news-Views crashes while
sending the message.