Saving the web, charset problems and symbols problems

Sak Na rede

1/30/2009 5:06:00 AM

Hi all!

I think that a lot of ruby scripts are for web crawling, web scrapping
and many more applications with the web. I'm working with the web too, I
try to save text of many different webs. In this moment I'm trying to
solve two problems:

1 - How to standard the charset of the web. There are a lot of
differents charsets and I think that it must be possible another
solution that see every charset and convert to proper charset each time.
(By the way, what is the best method to see charset of a file? command
file is not very good, I think)

2 - How to convert HTML to plain text. I use Hpricot but a lot of very
rare simbols continues there like "Â?" or "Â?". Wich is the most used
method?

Thanks a lot

Shanda Williams

On Jan 29, 4:34 pm, Shanda 41 <shanda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2:16 pm, "Dan Beck" <biscuitbecks@*NOSPAM*cableone.net>
> wrote:
>

> > "Shanda 41" <shanda...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I have a gottlieb system 80 b "Monte Carlo" pinball that keeps blowing
> > > the fuse on start up. The display just starts to light up and the fuse
> > > blows. This issue just popped up out of nowhere. I'm not as "seasoned"
> > > in gottlieb repairs as I am some of the others.  Any thought's on
> > > where to start looking? If I disconnect the display the fuse is good,
> > > as soon as it's plugged in the fuse goes. (yes, I am shutting off
> > > power before removing the connector.)
>
> > > Thanks :)
>
> > Could you specify exactly which fuse you are blowing?  Looking at a
> > different System 80B manual I see there are at least two fuses for display
> > voltage; 8.4 VAC and 32 VAC.  If it's the 32 VAC I would put money on a bad
> > 1N4004 diode in the bridge rectifier circuit on the display pcb.  The second
> > choice here would be the two Zener diodes on that circuit.  If it is the 8.4
> > VAC line it may be a filament, as stated previously.  One test would be to
> > put 12 volts DC across the 8.4 VAC supply and return line on the pcb, and
> > see how many filaments glow orange.  On the 80B displays I have there are
> > four per single tube, or a total of 8 on the pcb.
>
> > Regards,
> > Dan
>
> Changed out the 4 diodes and we have power. I'll leave it running for
> a while and see what happens. Thanks for the help :)

So far so good, it's been running for about 10 hours with no problems.
Only 1 of them was bad but I have a bunch of the 1N4004's and they are
cheap so I just did all of them. The grounding mods seem to be working
too. I was having issues with the flash lamps locking on. They melted
the domes before they burned out.