RDoc 2.3 now with Darkfish, without CHM and extra HTML templates

Eric Hodel

1/29/2009 1:23:00 AM

This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael =20
Granger=92s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for =20=

RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite =20
lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:

http://rdoc.ruby...

rdoc_chm and rdoc_html_templates have been split off from RDoc and =20
released separately as unmaintained software. I don=92t plan to make any =
=20
future changes or updates to rdoc_html_templates (which are for the =20
old HTML generator) ever, but somebody may be interested in taking =20
over maintainership of the rdoc_chm generator.

rdoc will automatically detect rdoc_html_templates and rdoc_chm, so =20
you only need to install them to make them usable via command-line =20
options.=

52 Answers

Joel VanderWerf

Eric Hodel wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
> Granger?s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for
> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.ruby...

It does look nice, except for source code display. The bg color is gray,
and so fg cyan/orange do not display well. Is this the default? Is it
changeable?

Mike Gold

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
>> Granger�s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for
>> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
>> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>>
>> http://rdoc.ruby...
>
> It does look nice, except for source code display. The bg color is gray,
> and so fg cyan/orange do not display well. Is this the default? Is it
> changeable?

I appreciate the effort, it's just the colors do seem odd. The
pea-green on top of the gray is difficult to read, and may even be
uglier than congressman Henry Waxman. Please consider changing the
default colors.

Michael Fellinger

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael Granger's
> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc! Michael
> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check out the
> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.ruby...

It has a nice validate link, but seems like it got errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Frdoc.rubyfo...

^ manveru

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael Granger's
> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc! Michael
> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check out the
> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.ruby...

The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

martin

Eric Hodel

On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>
> wrote:
>> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
>> Granger's
>> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc!
>> Michael
>> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check
>> out the
>> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>>
>> http://rdoc.ruby...
>
> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

Patches welcome

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
>> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
>> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.
>
> Patches welcome

Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.

martin

Gregory Brown

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Martin DeMello
<martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
>>> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
>>> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.
>>
>> Patches welcome
>
> Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
> of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.

Now that prawn has been split out into various extensions, prawn-core
isn't too bad.
http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/docs/p...

I'll probably give the latest RDoc a try soon, and post here if I do.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacr...
Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.bl...

Eric Hodel

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Martin DeMello
> <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Patches welcome
>>
>> Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
>> of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.
>
> Now that prawn has been split out into various extensions, prawn-core
> isn't too bad.
> http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/docs/p...
>
> I'll probably give the latest RDoc a try soon, and post here if I do.

Oh, you can rebuild all your rdoc on your machine with:

sudo gem rdoc --all --no-ri

Clifford Heath

Eric Hodel wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes.

Thanks, I think it's an improvement. Still has a way to go IMO, however...

Has the behavior of #:nodoc: changed? I have *empty* documentation
for classes where the class definition has #:nodoc:, instead of no
documentation... If this is a change, I think it's an error.

I'd like to see the class index above the file index - I rarely find
the file index useful and almost always use the class index.

Clifford Heath.

Trans

Eric Hodel wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
> Granger�s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for
> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.ruby...
>
> rdoc_chm and rdoc_html_templates have been split off from RDoc and
> released separately as unmaintained software. I don�t plan to make any
> future changes or updates to rdoc_html_templates (which are for the
> old HTML generator) ever, but somebody may be interested in taking
> over maintainership of the rdoc_chm generator.
>
> rdoc will automatically detect rdoc_html_templates and rdoc_chm, so
> you only need to install them to make them usable via command-line
> options.

(Sigh. the Google Group mirror is acting up again, so i will be replying
to this for the third time.)

My concern is for the loss of the sidebars. While I know frames are out
of fashion, having a sidebar was very convenient. Where as scrolling to
the bottom of a page is not.

Also, I think it would be nice if RDoc offered a few template options,
varying up the layout, suitable to variant preferences and/or project
needs, eg. small projects versus large ones.

Finally, what is the state of creating custom templates? Are we using
rhtml now? Is their a tutorial anywhere on the topic?

Thanks,
T.