simple ruby program problem

sig_UVA

1/22/2009 11:40:00 PM

So I have been reading Chris Pine's book, "Learn to Program". I am
working through the examples and the "a Few Things to Try" sections at
the end of each chapter. I having a problem with one of them.

Here is the chapter: http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/?...

Basically, he wants you to write the psych question program w/o using
the variables good_answer and answer. I tried to do this in the code
below, however, when I run it in TextMate and the gets asks me for input
before puts lists the question. In other words, the first thing that
happens after I run it is the "Script is requesting input" message box.

I will note this: every now and then, the program will work properly,
but this is usually after I run the program for the first after opening
Textmate for the first time.

Thanks for your help!!

# begin code here
def ask question

reply = ''

while (reply != 'yes' || reply != 'no')

puts question

reply = gets.chomp.downcase

if reply == 'yes'
return true

elsif reply == 'no'
return false

end

puts 'Please answer yes or no!'

puts

ask 'do you like apples?'
wets_bed = ask 'do you wet the bed?'

puts

puts wets_bed

# end of code

Rob Biedenharn

1/23/2009

0

On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Hunter Walker wrote:

> while (reply != 'yes' || reply != 'no')

Well, this is effectively and infinite loop becasue reply will always
be != to one or the other and the whole expression will be true.

Since you have a return statement in a couple places, this might not
be a problem for this program.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

sig_UVA

Rob Biedenharn wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Hunter Walker wrote:
>
>> while (reply != 'yes' || reply != 'no')
>

> Well, this is effectively and infinite loop becasue reply will always
> be != to one or the other and the whole expression will be true.
>
> Since you have a return statement in a couple places, this might not
> be a problem for this program.
>
> -Rob
>
> Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
> Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Yeah, good point. You are right though, the return statement does stop
the loop. See attached screen shot for what happens....

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-...attachment/319...

Rob Biedenharn

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Hunter Walker wrote:

> Rob Biedenharn wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Hunter Walker wrote:
>>
>>> while (reply != 'yes' || reply != 'no')
>>

>> Well, this is effectively and infinite loop becasue reply will always
>> be != to one or the other and the whole expression will be true.
>>
>> Since you have a return statement in a couple places, this might not
>> be a problem for this program.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
>> Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com
>
> Yeah, good point. You are right though, the return statement does
> stop
> the loop. See attached screen shot for what happens....
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/319...

Try running directly from an xterm (Terminal) window. I suspect that
running inside TextMate is the cause of the trouble (and that your
script wants input).

Rob Biedenharn wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Hunter Walker wrote:
>
>>> be a problem for this program.
>> Attachments:
>> http://www.ruby-...attachment/319...
>
> Try running directly from an xterm (Terminal) window. I suspect that
> running inside TextMate is the cause of the trouble (and that your
> script wants input).
>
> -Rob
>
> Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
> Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

You are correct, Rob. Works every time in xterm. Thank you for the
help.