Re: Ncurses like library?

Andy Cooper

1/14/2009 4:44:00 PM

> Hi, this might help:
>=20
> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=3Druby+ncurses...
>=20
> Jesus.

Why is it that site never gets old?
Especially when it comes to the 2-3 Ncurses questions a day.

9 Answers

Tim Mcd

Andy Cooper wrote:
>> Hi, this might help:
>>
>> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=ruby+ncurs...
>>
>> Jesus.
>
> Why is it that site never gets old?
> Especially when it comes to the 2-3 Ncurses questions a day.

Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?

Michal Suchanek

2009/1/14 Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com>:
> Andy Cooper wrote:
>>> Hi, this might help:
>>>
>>> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=ruby+ncurs...
>>>
>>> Jesus.
>>
>> Why is it that site never gets old?
>> Especially when it comes to the 2-3 Ncurses questions a day.
>
> Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
> missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
> correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?

If you look through the forum somebody suggested curses FFI bindings I
think but I don't know how far that got.

If you find the ruby curses bindings insufficient, post about its
deficiencies so that they can be worked out.

I personally do not use them because they cannot do multibyte
characters but that's not limitation of these bindings but of the
version 1.8 of the Ruby interpreter - it cannot use locales correctly.

Thanks

Michal

Tim Mcd

Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/1/14 Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com>:
>> Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
>> missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
>> correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?
>
> If you look through the forum somebody suggested curses FFI bindings I
> think but I don't know how far that got.
I'll look into that, thanks.

> If you find the ruby curses bindings insufficient, post about its
> deficiencies so that they can be worked out.
I thought Ruby-Ncurses development was dead?

> I personally do not use them because they cannot do multibyte
> characters but that's not limitation of these bindings but of the
> version 1.8 of the Ruby interpreter - it cannot use locales correctly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Cooper wrote:
>>> Hi, this might help:
>>>
>>> http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=ruby+ncurs...
>>>
>>> Jesus.
>>
>> Why is it that site never gets old?
>> Especially when it comes to the 2-3 Ncurses questions a day.
>
> Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
> missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
> correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?

Sorry, from the way you worded your question I assumed you wanted to
know if there were any ruby ncurses bindings and I wanted to point out
that some googling might help (admiteddly, I should have clicked the
search, and not the "I'm feeling lucky" button, to show there were
many results). You didn't show that you had already evaluated some
ncurses binding, so I assumed you didn't. My bad.

From the questions in this list it seems there are other people using
the ncurses gem. For example Nit Khair posted many questions related
to ncurses, maybe you can take a look at his questions. Also Sean
O'Halpin was working in a FFI wrapper for ncurses which might be
interesting.

Jesus.

Tim Mcd

Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
>> missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
>> correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?
>
> Sorry, from the way you worded your question I assumed you wanted to
> know if there were any ruby ncurses bindings and I wanted to point out
> that some googling might help (admiteddly, I should have clicked the
> search, and not the "I'm feeling lucky" button, to show there were
> many results). You didn't show that you had already evaluated some
> ncurses binding, so I assumed you didn't. My bad.
>
> From the questions in this list it seems there are other people using
> the ncurses gem. For example Nit Khair posted many questions related
> to ncurses, maybe you can take a look at his questions. Also Sean
> O'Halpin was working in a FFI wrapper for ncurses which might be
> interesting.
>
> Jesus.

http://search.cpan.org/~lunartear/Term-Visual-0.08...
Looks absolutely perfect. I can't find anything related to getting it to
work with Ruby, save for a post asking how to do it here on this list.
No one replied to it. Anyone ever get it to work?

Michal Suchanek

2009/1/14 Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com>:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> 2009/1/14 Tim Mcd <tmcdowell@gmail.com>:
>>> Yeah, that ruby-ncurses binding isn't the best, lots of methods are
>>> missing and other little things (like 'include Ncurses' not working
>>> correctly). Any OTHER TUI libraries?
>>
>> If you look through the forum somebody suggested curses FFI bindings I
>> think but I don't know how far that got.
> I'll look into that, thanks.
>

>> If you find the ruby curses bindings insufficient, post about its
>> deficiencies so that they can be worked out.
> I thought Ruby-Ncurses development was dead?

I meant the ruby curses extension that is included in stdlib.

It is probably not developed very actively but if you find some
limitations that can be resolved without introducing incompatibilities
(or in any reasonable way for 1.9) there is a good chance that such
change will be included.

Thanks

Michal

Sean O'Halpin

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n
<jgabrielygalan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also Sean O'Halpin was working in a FFI wrapper for ncurses which might b=
> interesting.

You can get the work-in-progress here:

http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses/t...

Mostly works (except for macros like getxy on Mac OS/X). See the
/examples directory for usage.

Regards,
Sean

Tim Mcd

Sean O'halpin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Jes�s Gabriel y
> Gal�n<jgabrielygalan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also Sean O'Halpin was working in a FFI wrapper for ncurses which might be
>> interesting.
>
> You can get the work-in-progress here:
>
> http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses/t...
>
> Mostly works (except for macros like getxy on Mac OS/X). See the
> ./examples directory for usage.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Wow, nice. Makes working with Ncurses that much simpler (no
Ncurses.initscr because the include is busted >_<). Is there a gem for
it?

Rg Rg

Tim Mcd wrote:
> Sean O'halpin wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Jes�s Gabriel y
>> Gal�n<jgabrielygalan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also Sean O'Halpin was working in a FFI wrapper for ncurses which might be
>>> interesting.
>>
>> You can get the work-in-progress here:
>>
>> http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses/t...
>>
>> Mostly works (except for macros like getxy on Mac OS/X). See the
>> ./examples directory for usage.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sean
>
> Wow, nice. Makes working with Ncurses that much simpler (no
> Ncurses.initscr because the include is busted >_<). Is there a gem for
> it?

Has anyone tried this "gem"? --> http://rbcurse.ruby...
Is registered in "RubyForge" on February 2, but looks good.