float: out of range issues

christoph.heindl@gmail.com

it seems I have messed up my system somehow to produce strange
floating point parsing errors (out of range).

-- Environment
This pc here is running Windows Vista SP 1 (English) and a fresh
installation of ruby (ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-
mswin32]) provided by the one-click installer. My regional settings
are set so that the decimal symbol is '.' and digit grouping symbol is
','.

-- Problem
A floating point number causes an out of range error in either windows
command prompt or any .rb file.

>ruby -e 'p 12.5'
-e:1: warning: Float 12.5 out of range
12.5

where '12.5' is a placeholder for any decimal number. This also
happens when placed in a .rb file.
Other entities, such as integers, cause no parsing errors.

However, in irb everything seems to be fine.

>irb
irb(main):001:0> p 12.5
12.5

Any ideas?