Parsing C/C++ in Ruby

Sparky Mat

1/13/2009 9:55:00 AM

I need to parse a source tree to generate a table of functions used.
GCC-XML is causing more trouble than helping (I might be using it
wrong). Is there a C/C++ parser library (written in Ruby) available?
Failing which, which parser generator would you recommend, that would
help me write a simple C parser? My CC skills are a bit rusted, and it
would greatly help if the parser generator library has examples and/or
tutorials.

Alex Fenton

Sparky Mat wrote:
> I need to parse a source tree to generate a table of functions used.
> GCC-XML is causing more trouble than helping (I might be using it
> wrong). Is there a C/C++ parser library (written in Ruby) available?
> Failing which, which parser generator would you recommend, that would
> help me write a simple C parser? My CC skills are a bit rusted, and it
> would greatly help if the parser generator library has examples and/or
> tutorials.

I haven't used gcc-xml but it would seem to me the right tool for the job.

As an alternative you could use SWIG, and output the results to xml (use
the -xml or -xmlout options). Then parse that XML with rexml or libxml.

C++ is a pretty complex language to parse, but SWIG understands most of
it - certainly enough to locate methods and functions.

Jason Roelofs

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Alex Fenton <aff28@deleteme.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Sparky Mat wrote:
>>
>> I need to parse a source tree to generate a table of functions used.
>> GCC-XML is causing more trouble than helping (I might be using it
>> wrong). Is there a C/C++ parser library (written in Ruby) available?
>> Failing which, which parser generator would you recommend, that would
>> help me write a simple C parser? My CC skills are a bit rusted, and it
>> would greatly help if the parser generator library has examples and/or
>> tutorials.
>
> I haven't used gcc-xml but it would seem to me the right tool for the job.
>
> As an alternative you could use SWIG, and output the results to xml (use the
> -xml or -xmlout options). Then parse that XML with rexml or libxml.
>
> C++ is a pretty complex language to parse, but SWIG understands most of it -
> certainly enough to locate methods and functions.

What problems are you having with GCC-XML?

Have you checked out rbgccxml? http://github.com/jameskilto...

Jason