Re: Ruby introspection????

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Ruby introspection????"
on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:49:32 +0900, r <rt8396@gmail.com> writes:

|I must say that learning Ruby can be very painful at times. Python doc
|strings, and help() function are lifesavers. I am trying to keep an
|open mind, but i find myself beating my head against the desk at
|times. :). Every language needs doctrings and some sort of shell docs
|for new users. Ruby is not as noob friendly as it should be.

ri is your friend. We'd rather choose separated document command
rather than consuming interpreter memory. Integrating ri into irb
might be a good idea though.

matz.

On Jan 10, 10:00 am, Yukihiro Matsumoto <m...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby introspection????"
>     on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:49:32 +0900, r <rt8...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |I must say that learning Ruby can be very painful at times. Python doc
> |strings, and help() function are lifesavers. I am trying to keep an
> |open mind, but i find myself beating my head against the desk at
> |times. :). Every language needs doctrings and some sort of shell docs
> |for new users. Ruby is not as noob friendly as it should be.
>
> ri is your friend.  We'd rather choose separated document command
> rather than consuming interpreter memory.  Integrating ri into irb
> might be a good idea though.
>
>                                                         matz.

WOW, i can't believe you popped in on this thread. I feel as if
royalty has visited me. Thank you! This shows you really care.

Robert Klemme

On 10.01.2009 17:00, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby introspection????"
> on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:49:32 +0900, r <rt8396@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |I must say that learning Ruby can be very painful at times. Python doc
> |strings, and help() function are lifesavers. I am trying to keep an
> |open mind, but i find myself beating my head against the desk at
> |times. :). Every language needs doctrings and some sort of shell docs
> |for new users. Ruby is not as noob friendly as it should be.
>
> ri is your friend. We'd rather choose separated document command
> rather than consuming interpreter memory. Integrating ri into irb
> might be a good idea though.

Actually this seems to be what the "help" method does that Michael
mentioned. When I type "help String" in IRB I get the same result as
from "ri String" on command line, i.e. the doc in a pager. For methods
you have to do "help 'String#length'".

Thanks, Michael!

Kind regards

robert