unsubscribe

meng nan

unsubscribe

28 Answers

DGDevin

"marcman" wrote in message
news:c9cc0579-0c24-4347-bdfb-42380b62fccc@p7g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

> People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
> here to stay.

I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
joined their personal data collection system five years from now.

marcman

On Jan 23, 4:16 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "marcman"  wrote in message

> > People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
> > here to stay.
>
> I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
> joined their personal data collection system five years from now.

You said you had to check Facebook to see what your favorite musicians
are doing. Welcome to Facebook.

Ray O'Hara

"DGDevin" <DGDevin@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "marcman" wrote in message
>
>> People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
>> here to stay.
>
> I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
> joined their personal data collection system five years from now.

don't worry your personal data is already well known to marketers.

DGDevin

"marcman" wrote in message

>> I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
>> joined their personal data collection system five years from now.

> You said you had to check Facebook to see what your favorite musicians
> are doing. Welcome to Facebook.

If I signed up so they could data-mine my participation and sell the results
to advertisers then I would have joined Facebook, but that I won't do.
Facebook is a de facto website where performers post what they're doing, but
I don't need to join in a giant gossip-fest to get that information, I just
read it like a blog or web post or Usenet post.

Velvet Jones

On Jan 23, 2:11 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "sweetbac" wrote in messagenews:ihhrb3$4lt$2@news.eternal-september.org...
> > I still dont understand why Facebook has made billions,
> > and I have NO interest in joining that limp wristed website,
>
> Neither do I, and yet it is becoming a juggernaut that even has Goggle
> worried. It's getting so that if I want to know what my favorite musicians
> are doing I don't go to their website, I have to check their damned
> Facebook
> entry.

>That's exactly correct. It's the biggest social phenomenon since smoke
>signals.

>People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
>here to stay.

Not unlike the Borg. With a little luck, a time will come when we'll NEVER
have to see each other face to face. That would close the book on Face.

I don't Facebook. My wife does. My kids do. I asked a 15 year old teenage
girl today how many hours per week she spends on face book. She never too
much anymore. I said "ok, so how much is that, more than an hour per day?",
"yeah", "more than 2 hours per day?", "oh sure, yeah", more than 3 hours per
day?", "probably around that". I nodded. "uh huh".

Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe I'm just right.

--
VJ
-Who among us has not dreamed of faraway places and intertwined lovers?

marcman

On Jan 23, 7:21 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "marcman"  wrote in message

> >> I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
> >> joined their personal data collection system five years from now.
> > You said you had to check Facebook to see what your favorite musicians
> > are doing. Welcome to Facebook.
>
> If I signed up so they could data-mine my participation and sell the results
> to advertisers then I would have joined Facebook, but that I won't do.
> Facebook is a de facto website where performers post what they're doing, but
> I don't need to join in a giant gossip-fest to get that information, I just
> read it like a blog or web post or Usenet post.

Fair enough. And you know I like you, so don't take this
personally . . . it sounds like you're a little bit paranoid to me.

marcman

On Jan 23, 10:08 pm, "Velvet Jones" <Vel...@Jones.org> wrote:
> "marcman" <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 23, 2:11 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > "sweetbac" wrote in messagenews:ihhrb3$4lt$2@news.eternal-september.org....
> > > I still dont understand why Facebook has made billions,
> > > and I have NO interest in joining that limp wristed website,
>
> > Neither do I, and yet it is becoming a juggernaut that even has Goggle
> > worried. It's getting so that if I want to know what my favorite musicians
> > are doing I don't go to their website, I have to check their damned
> > Facebook
> > entry.
> >That's exactly correct. It's the biggest social phenomenon since smoke
> >signals.
> >People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
> >here to stay.
>
> Not unlike the Borg. With a little luck, a time will come when we'll NEVER
> have to see each other face to face. That would close the book on Face.
>
> I don't Facebook. My wife does. My kids do. I asked a 15 year old teenage
> girl today how many hours per week she spends on face book. She never too
> much anymore. I said "ok, so how much is that, more than an hour per day?",
> "yeah", "more than 2 hours per day?", "oh sure, yeah", more than 3 hours per
> day?", "probably around that".  I nodded. "uh huh".
>
> Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe I'm just right.
>
> --
> VJ
> -Who among us has not dreamed of faraway places and intertwined lovers?

I'll quit Facebook when it starts to infringe on my television soap
operas.

There's only so many hours in a day . . .

SY

In article <5rqdnbEww9DL4KHQnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
"DGDevin" <DGDevin@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> "sweetbac" wrote in message news:ihhrb3$4lt$2@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> > I still dont understand why Facebook has made billions,
> > and I have NO interest in joining that limp wristed website,
>
> Neither do I, and yet it is becoming a juggernaut that even has Goggle
> worried. It's getting so that if I want to know what my favorite musicians
> are doing I don't go to their website, I have to check their damned Facebook
> entry.

I'll jump in here. Didn't see the original posting.
A nice article from May last year...

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/24/who-needs-friends-like-fac...

SK.

Randy G

On Jan 23, 4:16 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "marcman"  wrote in message

> > People that haven't adapted yet will adapt eventually, because it's
> > here to stay.
>
> I seem to be doing just fine without it, and I bet you I still haven't
> joined their personal data collection system five years from now.

I take it you never use a credit card or have a cell phone? Or a
mortgage?
They can have whatever they want IDGAF. It's not like I am doing
banking through the site.
I do avoid allowing apps the ability to download my profile info, not
sure what they do with it.
I did notice the email address I use for FB gets a ton of spam.

gratefuljoe

CNBC did an interesting report on Facebook. It delved into privacy
matters and that basically you have none or at the very least be
careful.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1707620781&...

They also did a similar story regarding Google:

http://www.cnbc.com/id...

I saw the movie a little over a month ago. It was good. MZ did come
off as a douche. Over the weekend I watched two movies-Factory Girl,
wherein Andy Warhol comes off as weird and beyond being a douchebag. I
wonder how much of it was true. A character based on Dylan plays one
of Edie Sedwick's lovers, kinda weird to see.
The other movie was The Fighter, very good although the story's been
done before. Lowell Mass ethnics get their turn in the spotlight.