Last chance for JRubyOne...er...JavaOne proposals

Charles Oliver Nutter

12/19/2008 9:05:00 PM

Today is the last day for JavaOne proposals, and we're really hoping to
get some "real" rubyists showing these Java guys how it's done. Right
now we've got some basic proposals for a Ruby language/classes/libraries
intro, a JRuby/Java integration talk, various deployment talks for
different servers, GUI and Graphics talks, and hopefully we'll get
someone from Rails core to do a Rails talk. But what are we missing? Do
you have a talk or know someone with a really convincing talk that would
help win over some of the Java masses?

At any rate, if you have anything you'd like to present to a big room
(our JRuby talks have been in a room that seats 1500), stop by
http://java.sun.co... and give it a shot. There's a whole world
of developers there (15k people at JavaOne last year) that really need
to learn Ruby.

- Charlie

4 Answers

Dean Wampler

Hey, Charlie,

I proposed a "polyglot" talk, where I'll make the case for "mixing it
up" on the JVM using one (or more) of JRuby, Scala, or Clojure. I
intend to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of each language and
how to choose what's best for your needs, etc., etc.

dean

--
Dean Wampler
http://www.object...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Great Dean, sounds like a perfect topic. Maybe even more likely to get
in than a talk focused on a single language.

Dean Wampler wrote:
> Hey, Charlie,
>
> I proposed a "polyglot" talk, where I'll make the case for "mixing it
> up" on the JVM using one (or more) of JRuby, Scala, or Clojure. I
> intend to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of each language and
> how to choose what's best for your needs, etc., etc.
>
> dean
>
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
> <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:
>> Today is the last day for JavaOne proposals, and we're really hoping to get
>> some "real" rubyists showing these Java guys how it's done. Right now we've
>> got some basic proposals for a Ruby language/classes/libraries intro, a
>> JRuby/Java integration talk, various deployment talks for different servers,
>> GUI and Graphics talks, and hopefully we'll get someone from Rails core to
>> do a Rails talk. But what are we missing? Do you have a talk or know someone
>> with a really convincing talk that would help win over some of the Java
>> masses?
>>
>> At any rate, if you have anything you'd like to present to a big room (our
>> JRuby talks have been in a room that seats 1500), stop by
>> http://java.sun.co... and give it a shot. There's a whole world of
>> developers there (15k people at JavaOne last year) that really need to learn
>> Ruby.
>>
>> - Charlie

>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/ma...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Thanks Robert :) I think this will be a great year for JRuby...we have
an opportunity to win over a lot of converts.

Robert Dempsey wrote:
> I'll throw my hat into that ring. I like Java developers, and am not afraid.
>
> - Robert Dempsey
>

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
> <charles.nutter@sun.com <mailto:charles.nutter@sun.com>> wrote:
>
> Today is the last day for JavaOne proposals, and we're really hoping
> to get some "real" rubyists showing these Java guys how it's done.
> Right now we've got some basic proposals for a Ruby
> language/classes/libraries intro, a JRuby/Java integration talk,
> various deployment talks for different servers, GUI and Graphics
> talks, and hopefully we'll get someone from Rails core to do a Rails
> talk. But what are we missing? Do you have a talk or know someone
> with a really convincing talk that would help win over some of the
> Java masses?
>
> At any rate, if you have anything you'd like to present to a big
> room (our JRuby talks have been in a room that seats 1500), stop by
> http://java.sun.co... and give it a shot. There's a whole
> world of developers there (15k people at JavaOne last year) that
> really need to learn Ruby.
>
> - Charlie

> http://xircles.codehaus.org/ma...

Tiago Nogueira

Charles Oliver Nutter escreveu:
> Today is the last day for JavaOne proposals, and we're really hoping
> to get some "real" rubyists showing these Java guys how it's done.
> Right now we've got some basic proposals for a Ruby
> language/classes/libraries intro, a JRuby/Java integration talk,
> various deployment talks for different servers, GUI and Graphics
> talks, and hopefully we'll get someone from Rails core to do a Rails
> talk. But what are we missing? Do you have a talk or know someone with
> a really convincing talk that would help win over some of the Java
> masses?
>
> At any rate, if you have anything you'd like to present to a big room
> (our JRuby talks have been in a room that seats 1500), stop by
> http://java.sun.co... and give it a shot. There's a whole world
> of developers there (15k people at JavaOne last year) that really need
> to learn Ruby.
>
> - Charlie

Hi Charlie,
I am reading this e-mail now, but i dont know too much about this
subject.Can you explain it to me? I am new in this mailing list but i
was vey interested in your words !!!
Big hug,
- Tiago