Define objects from classes in different files

Jason

12/18/2008 5:41:00 AM

Could someone help me with this little problem?

I have a file called fruit2.rb which contains:

class Fruit2
def taste
"sweet"

I want to use this class in a different file called fruit1.rb which
contains:

require "fruit2"
class Fruit1
def color
"red"

apple = Fruit1.new
p apple.color
apple = Fruit2.new
p apple.taste

I know the way I'm creating my apple object is wrong because I
over-wrote apple when I assigned Fruit2.new. What I want to do is have a
way to call attributes of a single object from different files. In my
application, I have so many methods, I want them in different files, but
want to use them on a single object. Is there an easy way to do this?
--thank you!

Jason

I understand that I could do

class Fruit1 < Fruit2

but what if I have methods I want to use from many files? This
inheritance only works for one?

Should I resort to modules?

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 18 December 2008, Jason Lillywhite ha scritto:
> Could someone help me with this little problem?
>
> I have a file called fruit2.rb which contains:
>
> class Fruit2
> def taste
> "sweet"
>
> I want to use this class in a different file called fruit1.rb which
> contains:
>
> require "fruit2"
> class Fruit1
> def color
> "red"
>
> apple = Fruit1.new
> p apple.color
> apple = Fruit2.new
> p apple.taste
>
> I know the way I'm creating my apple object is wrong because I
> over-wrote apple when I assigned Fruit2.new. What I want to do is have a
> way to call attributes of a single object from different files. In my
> application, I have so many methods, I want them in different files, but
> want to use them on a single object. Is there an easy way to do this?
> --thank you!

I'm not sure I understand correctly what you mean. In ruby, you can re-open a
class after it's been defined. This means you can put the taste method in one
file and the color method in another one, both in the same class:

#in fruit2.rb
class Fruit
def taste
"sweet"

# in fruit1.rb

class Fruit
def color
"red"

apple = Fruit.new
puts apple.taste
puts apple.color

I hope this helps

Stefano

Jason

I didn't know you could re-open classes like that. I've done this in
irb, but I didn't realize this for actual files. This is the solution I
need. Thanks!